Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

otbar

Cargin v St Galls was a wonderful game.  Credit to both teams and creggans pitch looked in fantastic shape.
Creggan got by st Johns without too much worry -  hard to determine outcome of final but it should not be lacking intensity.

Na Glinntí Glasa

very pleased with our Minors winning at the weekend. Sort of helped after a bad week with the both senior teams. Thats a second minor final in 3 years for the footballers with the hurlers in their 4th final in a row. Nice to see them progress along with the underage development in the club.
hurl like f**k boi!

imtommygunn

DR there has never been any shortage of good footballers in Dunloy - it's just keeping them at it it seems!(from the outside anyway).

otbar I wasn't at the creggan game but it didn't seem like they won "without too much worry". Seemed tight enough?

otbar

The conditions were horrendous.  exceptionally strong wind which tends to keep it a low scoring affair.  St Johns had chances to put pressure on without a doubt but it would of been a huge upset if the nipped it at the end.  Creggan maintained that gap fighting against a strong wind.  St johns left one man up and should of went for broke but did not.  Fitzpatrick was a big threat.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 08, 2018, 09:08:16 AM
DR there has never been any shortage of good footballers in Dunloy - it's just keeping them at it it seems!(from the outside anyway).

otbar I wasn't at the creggan game but it didn't seem like they won "without too much worry". Seemed tight enough?

Aye there still is a drop off after minor for a lot of the young lads to either not play anymore or to just concentrate on the hurling itself. Hurlng will always be the main code in the club but its nice to see that we're still producing good footballers along side them.
hurl like f**k boi!

Dunsilly King

Quote from: bannside on October 07, 2018, 07:01:00 PM
Couldn't believe St John's played one man up front during the entire second half with a huge wind at their back. Having said that, Creggan looked good value for their win to set up a tasty first ever all country final.

Couldn't believe that either, bad, bad tactics, with a gale like that they should have had 3 up attacking, it cost them big time. But Creggan were the better team in the second half as St Johns handed them easy possession to carry up against that wind. Its funny but that daft goal separated the teams. Delighted for Creggan. St Johns won't won anything playing tactics like that

paddyjohn

Quote from: country bumpkin on October 07, 2018, 10:11:57 PM
Quote from: Spike on October 07, 2018, 07:40:19 PM
Duneane parish county final.  MR2 must be in meltdown.

MR2 has gone AWOL........Foreign Legion?

He's been slabbering on other pages.. Maybe censorship.. :-X :-X :-X :-X

playwiththewind1st

Referees should:
• Not communicate with the media relating to any refereeing matters arising from any game.

I'm assuming that would include this forum!

bannside

MR2 probably lying low till the hurling and football championships are over in case he gets the nod to perform the man in the middle role. Fair play to be in with that shout, a thumbs up from me anyway for commitment.

St Galls lost absolutely nothing in defeat on Saturday, contributing to a classic, with eight players in their mid thirties. Something I fear we will never see again in our lifetime. They mightnt have won the championship but showed us patches of football that took them to elite status at national club level.

And 100% fair play to Cargin for the comeback of all time!

Spike

Yes Chapeau to Cargin and St Galls for that match. Really was one to remember, two teams going at it was a joy to behold and the resolution of both sides was admirable.

Final will be a different affair, can Cargin be as reckless against an organised Creggan team?  Creggan dont have the stars that st galls have but work so hard for each other and do the simple things well. Their form starts them as favourites but can Cargin's returning contingent make the difference?

otbar

creggan surely be favourites going in.  Consistent all year - o cahan cup and pretty much league in bag also.  They work hard at a defensive system leaking little but cargin have plenty of talent to counteract this.  Was chatting to quite a few creggan players and they have it in the bag already which may be their undoing.  I heard whimpers of st johns for final location. 

Spike

Certainly favourites going on form and accomplishments this season, Cargin will hope the recent championship defeats inflicted on Creggan in recent years will dampen their confidence.  Creggan won't give much away but are one dimensional which means they are easier to analyse. Cargin have more problems to fix but probably feel there is greater room for improvement. Will be interesting to see the respective approaches.

Corrigan as a final venue would be utter stupidity. City location for two SW Teams = less attendance = less revenue = people thinking the Antrim County board are idiots

otbar

Could not agree more around the venue.  The first location was ahoghil as it accommodates a crowd and attracts the derry supporters who would have interests in both teams.  Glenavy was the second option based on past few years but parking an issue and may as well travel to belfast.  Portglenone could hold claims to it as well - great setup.

Two good teams, two good managers, parish derby.   tick, tick, tick

belfastsaff

I see that the Derry SFC final is scheduled for the same day - that could affect attendance.

NAG1

Quote from: belfastsaff on October 09, 2018, 09:36:25 AM
I see that the Derry SFC final is scheduled for the same day - that could affect attendance.

You think the Cargin ones will go to the Derry final instead?  ;)