Congress Mass going ahead as planned

Started by shawshank, March 15, 2012, 03:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: Jinxy on March 21, 2012, 12:22:51 PM
The title of 'frequent mass-goer' gave a respectable veneer to plenty of bad articles down through the years.

Ha! On both sides of the altar.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

johnneycool

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 21, 2012, 04:18:10 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on March 21, 2012, 02:37:48 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on March 21, 2012, 02:05:22 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on March 21, 2012, 01:20:08 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on March 21, 2012, 12:19:47 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 20, 2012, 05:18:22 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on March 20, 2012, 03:18:02 PM
I wouldn't say that it is impossible to be good without believing in God, and conversely a lot of bad has been done in the name of
God(s). However it is a tradition in the GAA and should be continued and made ecumenical, but also allowing individuals to choose how they spend that hour if they are not religious.

You wouldn't say its impossible?? That's generous of you. I'll rest easier knowing you'll allow at least a slight chance that someone like me could be a decent, moral person!
You are misrepresenting my point, which is that people who don't go to church or believe in God are no less or more likely to be bad than those who do.

How could anyone possibly take the meaning above from your post below:

QuoteThe absense of any belief in God or a higher power is udoubtedly at the core of much that is wrong with the world today.
One was in response to a previous poster and the second stands on its own and in my opinion is true and not mutually exclusive of the fact that people who don't believe in God are no more likely to be bad. The actual point I intended to make was if people with a belief in God (and even those who don't) followed his teaching to the letter then the world would be a better place.

But what is his teaching to the letter? (i.e. those that haven't been doctored through the ages by various popes to suit their particular needs)

Are gays an abomination?

Is sex before marriage a sin?

I think "Love thy neighbour", "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" and "take the beam out of thy own eye before taking the mote out of thy brothers eye" just about answer those questions. Personally I think if God hadn't wanted Gay people in this world we just wouldn't have created them. What constitutes marriage? Where did Jesusor God actually say it had to be a religious service?

Oh and apologies if the qoutes aren't exact.

Never worry about accuracy as the bible doesn't either.

So being gay is alright according to the bible as you say, if god hadn't wanted gay people he wouldn't have created them?

IMHO, that would be my personal opinion as well, but I always thought that was contrary to the teachings of the holy roman catholic church, it was with my last RE teacher who in all fairness was on a beaten docket with me.

The coveting the neighbours wife was another problem I had with the same gentleman, as he said it was ok to be tempted to steal something as long as you didn't carry out the act. I argued that coveting the neighbours wife was similar as long as you didn't follow it up with any activities. He was adamant that it was a sin straight off the bat, just for thinking illicit thoughts. I begged to differ, but I was only 16 at the time and he was the educated one!

magpie seanie

Quote from: johnneycool on March 22, 2012, 11:15:57 AM
I wouldn't say that it is impossible to be good without believing in God, and conversely a lot of bad has been done in the name of
God(s). However it is a tradition in the GAA and should be continued and made ecumenical, but also allowing individuals to choose how they spend that hour if they are not religious.

You wouldn't say its impossible?? That's generous of you. I'll rest easier knowing you'll allow at least a slight chance that someone like me could be a decent, moral person!
You are misrepresenting my point, which is that people who don't go to church or believe in God are no less or more likely to be bad than those who do.

QuoteThe absense of any belief in God or a higher power is udoubtedly at the core of much that is wrong with the world today.
One was in response to a previous poster and the second stands on its own and in my opinion is true and not mutually exclusive of the fact that people who don't believe in God are no more likely to be bad. The actual point I intended to make was if people with a belief in God (and even those who don't) followed his teaching to the letter then the world would be a better place.

But what is his teaching to the letter? (i.e. those that haven't been doctored through the ages by various popes to suit their particular needs)

Are gays an abomination?

I think "Love thy neighbour", "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" and "take the beam out of thy own eye before taking the mote out of thy brothers eye" just about answer those questions. Personally I think if God hadn't wanted Gay people in this world we just wouldn't have created them. What constitutes marriage? Where did Jesusor God actually say it had to be a religious service?

So being gay is alright according to the bible as you say, if god hadn't wanted gay people he wouldn't have created them?

IMHO, that would be my personal opinion as well, but I always thought that was contrary to the teachings of the holy roman catholic church, it was with my last RE teacher who in all fairness was on a beaten docket with me.

The coveting the neighbours wife was another problem I had with the same gentleman, as he said it was ok to be tempted to steal something as long as you didn't carry out the act. I argued that coveting the neighbours wife was similar as long as you didn't follow it up with any activities. He was adamant that it was a sin straight off the bat, just for thinking illicit thoughts. I begged to differ, but I was only 16 at the time and he was the educated one!

What was your neighbours wife like?

Applesisapples

Quote from: muppet on March 21, 2012, 06:15:05 PM

It is very difficult to figure out exactly where they are going with these and often they completely contradict each other.

For example:

"Love thy neighbour" and "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife" are clearly incompatible.
It doesn't say love thy neighbour's wife though!

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

johnneycool

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 22, 2012, 12:07:54 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on March 22, 2012, 11:15:57 AM

Are gays an abomination?

What was your neighbours wife like?

Not pretty, but as I was 16 at the time I'd probably have jumped anything given the slightest signs of interest.

Bless me father for I have sinned.............

I'll take the 10 Hail Mary's and 5 Our Fathers now, slate cleaned, and then its good to go again!