Hamstring Injury Treatment

Started by Gold, October 18, 2009, 08:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gold

Has anyone here ever done their hamstring?

How do you treat it?

I was running out for a ball yesterday and my hamstring just pulled --i looked like a sprinter just pulling up

I've never down this before and am still in serious pain simply walking and can hardly bend down or do anything.

Ive been iceing it on and off today but went out last night when i should have probably stayed in and stayed off it and am worried i may have done even more damage!

I want to get back playin asap but dont know how long this will last or whether it will now be a constant recurring problem like Ryan Giggs has.

How long does it take to recover? What should i do to ensure i recover asap? Im up and down flights of stairs all day at work and am worried about doin further damage there as today i can only manage to go up and down the stairs in the house sideways like a crab here in pain.

Any help appreciated!

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Lady GAA GAA

You tried turning it off then on again?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Gold on October 18, 2009, 08:49:33 PM
Has anyone here ever done their hamstring?

How do you treat it?

I was running out for a ball yesterday and my hamstring just pulled --i looked like a sprinter just pulling up

I've never down this before and am still in serious pain simply walking and can hardly bend down or do anything.

Ive been iceing it on and off today but went out last night when i should have probably stayed in and stayed off it and am worried i may have done even more damage!

I want to get back playin asap but dont know how long this will last or whether it will now be a constant recurring problem like Ryan Giggs has.

How long does it take to recover? What should i do to ensure i recover asap? Im up and down flights of stairs all day at work and am worried about doin further damage there as today i can only manage to go up and down the stairs in the house sideways like a crab here in pain.

Any help appreciated!
See a sports physio and don't take advice on here!

Mhic Easmuint

Done both hamstrings good few years back. 
First thing now would be RICE - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. 
Get treament from Physio.

After 2/3 weeks I thought mine was fine and came on as a sub in a game.  I was going fine for about 20 minutes, then all of a sudden it went again and it was 2 months again before it was right.  So don't rush back with it.

keeping an eye on things

Your probably looking at 5-6 weeks out depending on the grade and severity of the pull.  As suggested RICE for the first few days is very important. 
Get yourself to a physio then, course of treatment is generally DTFM (Deep Transverse Friction Massage) modalities like ultrasound (healing and repair) and IFC (pain) then exercises at the start gentle then building up to eccentric towards the end. 
As suggested don't rush back as if you return when not sufficiently healed the risk of re-injury is high.  You will now unfortunately be at a much higher risk of this happening again.

illdecide

How long you'll be out will depend on how bad the pull is (Physio will tell you). It's very important that you keep ice on it up to 72 hours after the injury (don't be trying to stretch...just leave it alone). You'll prob have to rest it for 10 - 14 days and then start to build it up again (gradually, your physio will give you a programme and tell you what to do). The worst thing you can do is try and get back playing to soon as you'll just pull it again if the muscle is not ready (I'm speaking from experience here too), it's your first hamstring injury so do exactly what Physio tells you and don't rush it to get back I'm assuming the season is almost over for you so don't do anything foolish.

He'll prob give you something like (after 10-14 days rest) start of jogging again to get the blood flowing thru the muscle again followed by 1/2 and then 3/4 pace straight line runs over about 30 - 40 meters to build it up (no sprinting). The physio will monitor you and advise you when to step it up to the next level...Minimum time out is 4 weeks and depending on how bad the tear is it could be longer.

The bill is in the post...lol
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch