CPA (Club Players Association)

Started by ck, October 18, 2016, 12:02:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esmarelda

Definitely exists, I see Duffy defending it on hogan stand defending it.

muppet

Quote from: Esmarelda on October 19, 2016, 11:52:12 AM
Definitely exists, I see Duffy defending it on hogan stand defending it.

I'm not doubting you. It would be far better if we could see it though. Especially as you said it ticks lots of boxes.
MWWSI 2017

Itchy

If anyone wants it send me a pm and I'll email to you.

Louth Exile

Link here to last night's piece on off the ball with Moyles and Brennan

https://soundcloud.com/offtheball/the-movement-for-a-gaelic-club-players-association

Still can't find their facebook page!!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

thewobbler

Quote from: The Trap on October 19, 2016, 11:26:34 AM
Wobbler, you can see clearly that you are a county game supporter and don't have any idea how these people came to play for their county.

I think the GAA are reluctant to change anything because they know if it REALLY came down to it the vast majority of players would choose to play for their clubs over their counties. Only the elite of the elite would choose county........and then the £££££££££s would be lost.

You couldn't pigeonhole me more wrongly if you tried.

Couple of things to ponder.

1. There are dozens of very useful footballers in every county, every summer who travel to the USA for the summer and leave their clubs behind. Wanting to play different football, or better football doesn't mean they don't love their clubs.

2. The single greatest influx of membership and member interest will occur when a club's county team is successful. It's what brings people in from outside.

Itchy

What do clubs want in my opinion and based on my dealings with the club I am a member off...

1- We want to know when our games will be played and wont be played so that players can have a holiday etc without worrying about letting the team down. We want this written in stone and not changed no matter how the county team is doing.
2- We want the season shortened into a manageable time frame. Not starting in February and still running in November.
3 - We want all our player available for our games. Whats the point in a small club with 1/2 county men having to play a league without their best players. Why bother even play it. A compromise could be reached in terms of having County players for 80% of games or something like that but again, must be written in stone and not at the whim of the latest county manager.
4 - Maybe this one is controversial but I say an end to this elitism. County players are being taken at 15 years old into development squads and they are being told "f**k your club you are a county man now". When they get to senior level they couldnt are less about their clubs. I know there are plenty of examples to the contrary but trust me this is coming in a big way. It manifests itself as county players who don't try a tap in games that they are asked to play or always have an injury when it comes to club or feck off to the US when the county exits the championship and just when the club champ is starting. If this continues clubs will start to discourage young lads from going into development panels or playing county football.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Itchy on October 19, 2016, 01:45:08 PM
What do clubs want in my opinion and based on my dealings with the club I am a member off...

1- We want to know when our games will be played and wont be played so that players can have a holiday etc without worrying about letting the team down. We want this written in stone and not changed no matter how the county team is doing.
2- We want the season shortened into a manageable time frame. Not starting in February and still running in November.
3 - We want all our player available for our games. Whats the point in a small club with 1/2 county men having to play a league without their best players. Why bother even play it. A compromise could be reached in terms of having County players for 80% of games or something like that but again, must be written in stone and not at the whim of the latest county manager.
4 - Maybe this one is controversial but I say an end to this elitism. County players are being taken at 15 years old into development squads and they are being told "f**k your club you are a county man now". When they get to senior level they couldnt are less about their clubs. I know there are plenty of examples to the contrary but trust me this is coming in a big way. It manifests itself as county players who don't try a tap in games that they are asked to play or always have an injury when it comes to club or feck off to the US when the county exits the championship and just when the club champ is starting. If this continues clubs will start to discourage young lads from going into development panels or playing county football.

I don't know how your development squads are run, but I can tell you this ""f**k your club you are a county man now" " is not my experience. We bend over backwards to accomodate clubs training and games. And when you are in Tipp and have 4 divisions, with different nights set aside for the same age group across divisions, sometimes it is like being a contortionist!!

Club comes first.

Man Marker

Club players' union is a must after Tyrone county final replay mess

By Declan Bogue

Washout: Healy Park in Omagh was unplayable on Sunday
Imagine you are, to use as an example, Dermot Carlin this Friday. The former Tyrone player is a Killyclogher clubman. He is not long into a new job, which is based in Belfast and, as a result, faces a long daily commute. Killyclogher are in the Tyrone county final replay this Friday night. It throws in at 7.30pm. The Killyclogher players will need to have eaten something around 5pm ahead of a final meeting, and then their warm-up.

Or say you are another former Tyrone player, Johnny Curran of Coalisland.
A barber by trade, his busiest and most lucrative time of the week is Friday evenings. He will have to set down his scissors from lunchtime at the latest.
Both men are pursuing their hobby of Gaelic football. An amateur sport. There will be a crowd of anything up to 10,000 there to watch them play and they will not get a penny of the gate receipts.
In fact, it is going to cost them to partake in the showpiece day of Tyrone club football.

They are being fed the constant baffling untruth from the very highest ranks of GAA officialdom, that the club is the bedrock of the Association. Attempts by the GAA to condense the county season have failed. And their county board re-arrange a final for a Friday night.
Not only is it not good enough, but it is a grave insult to both panels that they will be forced to take a day off work to play on a Friday night.
Which is why the announcement that the formation of a club players' association, headed up by former Monaghan selector Declan Brennan, has not come a moment too soon.

Belfast Telegraph

Itchy

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 19, 2016, 01:49:17 PM

I don't know how your development squads are run, but I can tell you this ""f**k your club you are a county man now" " is not my experience. We bend over backwards to accomodate clubs training and games. And when you are in Tipp and have 4 divisions, with different nights set aside for the same age group across divisions, sometimes it is like being a contortionist!!

Club comes first.

That doesn't come from the Cavan development squad rather from a different county. None the less it was said and from what I am hearing it's being said more and more.

longballin

By Declan Bogue
Published

Imagine you are, to use as an example, Dermot Carlin this Friday. The former Tyrone player is a Killyclogher clubman. He is not long into a new job, which is based in Belfast and, as a result, faces a long daily commute. Killyclogher are in the Tyrone county final replay this Friday night. It throws in at 7.30pm. The Killyclogher players will need to have eaten something around 5pm ahead of a final meeting, and then their warm-up.

A barber by trade, his busiest and most lucrative time of the week is Friday evenings. He will have to set down his scissors from lunchtime at the latest.
Both men are pursuing their hobby of Gaelic football. An amateur sport. There will be a crowd of anything up to 10,000 there to watch them play and they will not get a penny of the gate receipts.
In fact, it is going to cost them to partake in the showpiece day of Tyrone club football.

They are being fed the constant baffling untruth from the very highest ranks of GAA officialdom, that the club is the bedrock of the Association. Attempts by the GAA to condense the county season have failed. And their county board re-arrange a final for a Friday night.
Not only is it not good enough, but it is a grave insult to both panels that they will be forced to take a day off work to play on a Friday night.
Which is why the announcement that the formation of a club players' association, headed up by former Monaghan selector Declan Brennan, has not come a moment too soon.

Belfast Telegraph

five points

Quote from: Man Marker on October 19, 2016, 02:13:28 PM

By Declan Bogue

Belfast Telegraph

The rearranged Tyrone final is fixed for Friday night because there was a round of club league fixtures already fixed for next Sunday.

This new association is going to have their work cut out.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Itchy on October 19, 2016, 02:27:46 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 19, 2016, 01:49:17 PM

Club comes first.

That doesn't come from the Cavan development squad rather from a different county. None the less it was said and from what I am hearing it's being said more and more.

As I said, I don't know what county you are referring to, but it's not the case in anywhere I've had dealings with. Trying to work around clubs is probably the biggest challenge to development squads fixtures etc. They certainly are not rode roughshod across.

Now what you may sometimes hear or feel is the young lads themselves thinking along those lines. Big time Charlies. But again I think that's knocked on the head.

Of course as they get older into Minor etc, the county club divide *does* start to emerge. When you get to training 3 times a week and matches, it becomes inevitable.

longballin

Quote from: five points on October 19, 2016, 02:30:29 PM
Quote from: Man Marker on October 19, 2016, 02:13:28 PM

By Declan Bogue

Belfast Telegraph

The rearranged Tyrone final is fixed for Friday night because there was a round of club league fixtures already fixed for next Sunday.

This new association is going to have their work cut out.

The Tyrone board in its wisdom has said match on Saturday in Carrickmore if Omagh unplayable. Just play it Saturday!

muppet

Quote from: Itchy on October 19, 2016, 12:30:11 PM
If anyone wants it send me a pm and I'll email to you.

Thanks for that.

It seems to shorten the season by a month while adding a group stage. The group stage will involve a Croke Park game, a home game and an away game. How will the Dubs manage that?  ;)

Earlier games appear more regularly and are run off in a more orderly fashion, which is a must.
MWWSI 2017