TV Show recommendations

Started by Archie Mitchell, June 23, 2009, 11:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

Balance, seriously? I'd be interested to hear what way you would you provide balance to such a topic? Like, is there a counterpoint to actually put forward? ???

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bennydorano on February 21, 2020, 04:20:29 PM
Balance, seriously? I'd be interested to hear what way you would you provide balance to such a topic? Like, is there a counterpoint to actually put forward? ???

Yeah was thinking that
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Well, he confronted only one denier. One who clearly wasn't very good at putting his point across. Or maybe that's why they chose him. Tar all deniers as nutcases like this fella, and it reinforces the story

Baddiel basically wouldn't tolerate any sort of differing opinion from his own. More or less, the history books say this happened, so if you say hmmm I don't think it was quite like that..., then you're clearly anti-Semitic and hate all Jews.

He interviewed one survivor who spoke of being separated from her family on arrival, and never seen them again, she then got too upset so they stopped filming. No mention of anything that went on in the camps, other than malnutrition, poor conditions. Wasn't very convincing to be honest.

I went into it with an open mind. The denier offered little argument (unsurprisingly), but neither did the other side.

Main Street

Quote from: BennyCake on February 21, 2020, 06:57:12 PM

Well, he confronted only one denier. One who clearly wasn't very good at putting his point across. Or maybe that's why they chose him. Tar all deniers as nutcases like this fella, and it reinforces the story

Baddiel basically wouldn't tolerate any sort of differing opinion from his own. More or less, the history books say this happened, so if you say hmmm I don't think it was quite like that..., then you're clearly anti-Semitic and hate all Jews.

He interviewed one survivor who spoke of being separated from her family on arrival, and never seen them again, she then got too upset so they stopped filming. No mention of anything that went on in the camps, other than malnutrition, poor conditions. Wasn't very convincing to be honest.

I went into it with an open mind. The denier offered little argument (unsurprisingly), but neither did the other side.
An open mind to what??  There is no denial argument. There are just degrees of denial, usually regurgitated nonsense, long discredited which our man in Ennis was unable to even get his ducks in a row.
Baddiel did made fleeting  reference  to the pseudo Leuchter Report  and the "historian"  David Irvine libel trial , Irvine being more educated that the Ennis chap.
If you were interested in the denial aspect, that debate that is dealt with in a film called Denial based on the book by Deborah Lipstadt History on Trial: My Day in Court with a Holocaust Denier.

As a documentary, I thought it could have been better directed and edited. nevethelesss  it's well worth a view.

BennyCake

Quote from: Main Street on February 21, 2020, 07:43:17 PM

An open mind to what??  There is no denial argument. There are just degrees of denial, usually regurgitated nonsense, long discredited which our man in Ennis was unable to even get his ducks in a row.
Baddiel did made fleeting  reference  to the pseudo Leuchter Report  and the "historian"  David Irvine libel trial , Irvine being more educated that the Ennis chap.
If you were interested in the denial aspect, that debate that is dealt with in a film called Denial based on the book by Deborah Lipstadt History on Trial: My Day in Court with a Holocaust Denier.

As a documentary, I thought it could have been better directed and edited. nevethelesss  it's well worth a view.

To see what both sides had to say.

It is interesting that there are laws in some countries where you're prosecuted for saying it didn't happen, or didn't happen how the history books said. Surely that sort of thing only fuels the doubters? I mean, with other conspiracy type events, I'd say you'd be looked upon as a madman if you said you believed the "true report" of Oswald assassinating JFK. But show any sign of an inkling of doubt here, and you're anti-Semitic.

lenny

Quote from: BennyCake on February 21, 2020, 08:24:19 PM

It is interesting that there are laws in some countries where you're prosecuted for saying it didn't happen, or didn't happen how the history books said. Surely that sort of thing only fuels the doubters? I mean, with other conspiracy type events, I'd say you'd be looked upon as a madman if you said you believed the "true report" of Oswald assassinating JFK. But show any sign of an inkling of doubt here, and you're anti-Semitic.

A tiny minority of complete nutters say the holocaust didn't happen. Everyone else accepts the truth, even the Germans are accepting of the truth even though it's very uncomfortable for them.

BennyCake

Quote from: lenny on February 21, 2020, 08:50:26 PM

A tiny minority of complete nutters say the holocaust didn't happen. Everyone else accepts the truth, even the Germans are accepting of the truth even though it's very uncomfortable for them.

Do they though? Or are they just afraid to say so, as they'll be attacked and called anti-Semitic or "complete nutters"?

Estimator

Moving on slightly from the Holocaust, has anyone one started watching Hunters on Amazon Prime. Great opening scene, then the rest of the episode was basically a set up for the rest of the Season.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Main Street

Quote from: BennyCake on February 21, 2020, 09:53:06 PM

Do they though? Or are they just afraid to say so, as they'll be attacked and called anti-Semitic or "complete nutters"?
What's your point Benny?
According to the stats that Baddiel presented, the % of holocaust denial nutters varies  but mainly lingers just above  above or below the 5%.
About the same as paedophiles.
Regardless if it's 2% or 4% or 10% figure,  holocaust denial is equated to an expression of something between extreme ignorance and hate. Again Benny what exactly is your point?  Is extreme ignorance or hate a reasonable excuse for an expression of a belief in holocaust denial? That Ennis man was selected because of his obvious stupidity, that you think someone eloquent  like irwin,  who also just happens to be fully discredited as a total fraud and charlatan, should have been interviewed instead of Ennis man?

thewobbler

Nowhere near as controversial. But I can understand the apathy.

Quite a few years ago, Tony Robinson led a c4 show with the premise of evaluating Dan Brown's the da Vinci code. Except as a Christian he spent the entire show describing everything as nonsense and unbelievable, while seemingly completely unaware that his own beliefs are based on a popular story.

I'm not a Holocaust denier btw. Just pointing out that an investigation with an agenda shouldn't be permitted on TV

BennyCake

Quote from: Main Street on February 21, 2020, 11:07:36 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on February 21, 2020, 09:53:06 PM

What's your point Benny?
According to the stats that Baddiel presented, the % of holocaust denial nutters varies  but mainly lingers just above  above or below the 5%.
About the same as paedophiles.
Regardless if it's 2% or 4% or 10% figure,  holocaust denial is equated to an expression of something between extreme ignorance and hate. Again Benny what exactly is your point?  Is extreme ignorance or hate a reasonable excuse for an expression of a belief in holocaust denial? That Ennis man was selected because of his obvious stupidity, that you think someone eloquent  like irwin,  who also just happens to be fully discredited as a total fraud and charlatan, should have been interviewed instead of Ennis man?

You're equating anyone who has any sort of a slight doubt about the exact story, as "nutters" and comparing them to paedophiles. That's normal procedure now to be accused of hate crime/anti-Semitic. You've more or less done so, as do the media/Israel towards anyone who questions their policies in Palestine. Which is why people are afraid to come out and say... we'll, ya know, I'm not 100% sure it happened like that... People just keep quiet, as every Tom Dick or Harry attacked them as being anti-Semitic.

What I'm trying to say is, People can have an opinion on the Vatican, JFK, Iraq War, etc... and we all know how people over the centuries have been manipulated and sold a pup by governments, Royalty, media, the church etc, to start wars, invade countries..., but when it comes to the Halocaust, no doubts are allowed to be raised. Not even about the number killed. That all seems very strange. That's all I'm saying.

bennydorano

There is no counterpoint argument. There is any amount of incontrovertible evidence about the Holocaust, the fact that you choose not to seek it out is your own choice. As Main St already pointed out Baddiel covered the 'sensible' holocaust denier argument with the Historian Irving, the Irish Tube is the modern social media face of denial - idiots with  Facebook profiles, so I felt it was totally apt (if very embarrassing to watch). Holocaust denial is akin to believing in a Flat Earth and should be treated as such.

Denn Forever

Tell me if a personal documentary was done on Bloody Sunday.  How balanced could it be?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

bennydorano

bennydorano

Star Trek Picard has been pretty poor so far.

Narcos Mexico S2 was excellent.

Rick & Morty is so good.