China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will it ever end

I actually think Robin Swann has been excellent throughout this crisis

So much more disappointed with Arlene & Michelle - if they want to shut manufacturing & construction they should come out & say that they are not essential & can be Furloughed - any thing other than this is unsettling lip service!

Milltown Row2

No one would be brilliant at this, the health minister is the worst job it's like getting to be the N.I sec or being sent to the Russian front
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

quit yo jibbajabba

Id say the likes of Swann and Sunak (sp?) be well chuffed at moving into their new roles just days/weeks before the biggest crisis in their lifetimes...
although both are coming out well so far

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: tbrick18 on March 26, 2020, 01:19:57 PM
Quote from: the goal was on on March 26, 2020, 10:50:58 AM
Very difficult for people to listen to arlene or michelle considering they led 3 years of 'do nothing'. Those 3 years of decline in many services will 100% cost lives now. The irony when Arlene begs nhs workers to come back to work! Many of the ministers are new to their roles after a 3 year hibernation so its fairly likely they are gonna be stretched. We don't have the resources and we unlikely to have them in the coming weeks therefore we should have a policy that is as aggressive as possible in terms of isolation if we are to give the hospitals and staff a chance. Set out your stall that's its zero tolerance. If it's lives at stake when 10 teenagers are congregating then treat them like they are putting lives at risk. Prosecute them. We need society to tighten up. If we do then there will be a lot less pain in the coming months.

Do you honestly think if Stormount had been up and running for 3 years our NHS would be in a better place?
We have severe restrictions on what we can do as we are depending on a Westminister handout. Whether or not our MLA's were sitting would not have increased the money required.
In my opinion, what will matter is how our MLA's and Executive manage this now with the resources we've got (or can borrow).
I think Robin Swann is out of his depth completely, though I don't necessarily mean that in a detrimental way. I think most people would be out of their depth currently, but personally I hardly ever heard of him before this crisis so not sure he'd have been the right person to steer our response on this issue.

I like Swann. He's doing decent job, affable person.. Yes the last 3 years has affected the NHS here. That's what the strike was about. Plus procurement was seriously curtailed. Shame on DUP/SF

laoislad

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 26, 2020, 11:38:26 AM
Quote from: WT4E on March 26, 2020, 11:30:27 AM
Quote from: balladmaker on March 26, 2020, 11:21:54 AM
Read about the woman out walking her dog, met a few teenagers apparently, one of them ran over to her to cough in her face and run away laughing to his mates.  If caught, I'd have that idiot locked up!

Bate the head of him before you hand him in please.

Some fella in Belfast up in court today over something similar to Police Officers.
Someone did it to the health minister Simon Harris the other day.
What a sc**bag thing to do.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

balladmaker

Where would one find a four metre wide hula hoop?

Wee Roddy

Quote from: Will it ever end on March 26, 2020, 01:23:32 PM

So much more disappointed with Arlene & Michelle - if they want to shut manufacturing & construction they should come out & say that they are not essential & can be Furloughed - any thing other than this is unsettling lip service!

Can I just ask if they have the power to do this? Would it be a vote again led by SF and the SDLP and the Unionists and Alliance go against it because Boris is saying different?
I actually think Robin Swann is coming out of this a lot more competent than most of his colleagues on the hill.

the goal was on

Health was left to the UUP when the minister jobs were allocated. So SF and DUP avoided these at all costs. Is that leadership? To me definitely not.  Health as we should and will realise going forward is the number one priority. If someone wants to run our country but wants very little to do with health then it will speak volumes. Lets buy everything we possibly can to help and redirect monies projects that can be picked up down the line.

Will it ever end

Quote from: Wee Roddy on March 26, 2020, 01:56:09 PM

Can I just ask if they have the power to do this? Would it be a vote again led by SF and the SDLP and the Unionists and Alliance go against it because Boris is saying different?
I actually think Robin Swann is coming out of this a lot more competent than most of his colleagues on the hill.

No but their leading employees down the path that they will be furloughed when in fact there is no guarantee whatsoever they will be - pitting employer against employee at the most difficult of times.

knockitdown

Quote from: Will it ever end on March 26, 2020, 02:24:16 PM

No but their leading employees down the path that they will be furloughed when in fact there is no guarantee whatsoever they will be - pitting employer against employee at the most difficult of times.

Hearing that employers aren't happy with the furloughed proposal and when looked at in depth they will not come out well and could close many companies. They still have to pay tax, pension and ni contributions whilst they have effectively ceased trading, and so no money coming in. There doesn't appear to be an opt out if you do put employees on furlough, and there is no time limit on how long this is all going to last. I'm not sure how most companies could sign up to that. Whilst it appears good for the employee, it appears to be of little help to the employer and the longer the lockdown goes on, it will ultimately close companies anyway.

Has anyone else looked into it or sought advice? The government need to provide a better understanding of how this is going to work before companies can sign up to it.

johnnycool

Say what you like about Swann, I think the Jury is still out on him ATM, but the CMO for this place needs his hole booted.

He was happy to follow the herd immunity plan coming from London when all along this plan didn't take into account NI and it's vastly worse off NHS (just look at the difference in waiting times prior to this virus).

I don't expect Swann, Arlene and Michelle to follow the detail but he should have known the implications of what was being proposed and followed based on the modelling coming out from Imperial College which makes it abundantly clear that NI was not part of the process.

Will it ever end

Quote from: knockitdown on March 26, 2020, 02:53:07 PM

Hearing that employers aren't happy with the furloughed proposal and when looked at in depth they will not come out well and could close many companies. They still have to pay tax, pension and ni contributions whilst they have effectively ceased trading, and so no money coming in. There doesn't appear to be an opt out if you do put employees on furlough, and there is no time limit on how long this is all going to last. I'm not sure how most companies could sign up to that. Whilst it appears good for the employee, it appears to be of little help to the employer and the longer the lockdown goes on, it will ultimately close companies anyway.

Has anyone else looked into it or sought advice? The government need to provide a better understanding of how this is going to work before companies can sign up to it.

It is incredibly loosely worded - there is a rapidly growing fear among businesses that'll it'll end up shafting them - having to close a business because of social distancing is not covered & to be honest the government have been all over the place on this... stressful times!

Banking has in addition not caught up with what's been announced last week - government says funding is there - you try getting a relationship manager to approve either overdraft / loan - takes several days to then state we're unsure this qualifies under the Covid policy!

armaghniac

The Westies are on the right side anyway

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Wee Roddy

[/quote

What happens if this takes longer than three months to sort? It doesn't add up where I work to pay 50 employees employees £160 000 over the next 3 months with nothing coming in, because accounts will not open to pay us.

trailer

Quote from: Wee Roddy on March 26, 2020, 04:04:47 PM

[/quote

What happens if this takes longer than three months to sort? It doesn't add up where I work to pay 50 employees employees £160 000 over the next 3 months with nothing coming in, because accounts will not open to pay us.

Business is fucked. This has driven the economy off a cliff. If you have a job at the end of this you'll be lucky.