Allianz Hurling League 2020

Started by Mossy Bruce, November 26, 2019, 10:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

Yeh 2018. The photos from the night of the final.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

redsetanta

Any word on a team for Saturday night?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

blueandwhite1

Quote from: redsetanta on January 23, 2020, 07:44:54 PM
Yeh 2018. The photos from the night of the final.

They are big boys, I'm sure that they would all get over that. Would be a different story if talking about the perpetrator of the Ross King incident. The hurl stamping in this years semi was hardly a big deal. Gamesmanship and Purcell had the last laugh.

Mossy Bruce

Starting against Wexford:

Enda Rowland

Liam Senior, Ryan Mullaney, Donnacha Hartnett

Jack Kelly, Padraig Delaney, Ciaran McEvoy

Fiachra C Fennell, Ciaran Comerford

Aaron Bergin, Paddy Purcell, James Ryan

Ross King, Willie Dunphy, Stephen Bergin

Laois! Laois! Laois!
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Brandon

Can anyone Please tell me what happend to mark Kavanagh ? Probably one of the best burners in the country taking frees. Is he injured or did he leave the panel ?

burdizzo

He's injured - or rather, getting a knee operation and hopes to be back for championship.
Also, see no sign of older lads like Matthew Whelan or Neil Foyle. Half the team, you could say, is new. However, that shouldn't necessarily be a problem if they have the right attitude and work ethic.

on the hop

Mark Fanning; Simon Donohoe, Liam Ryan, Joe O'Connor; Damien Reck, Shaun Murphy, Paudie Foley; Kevin Foley, Jack O'Connor; Cathal Dunbar, Rory O'Connor, Aidan Nolan; Aidan Rochford, Conor McDonald, Paul Morris. Subs: James Lawlor, Shane Reck, Conor Firman, Conal Flood, Jack Cullen, Harry Kehoe, Liam Og McGovern, Andrew Shore, Seamus Casey, Gary Molloy, Michael Dwyer.

wexford not starting a few big names as well, still a very tough ask.

Blow-in

From what I heard Kavanagh long term is in trouble. He seemingly had a major op, a bone graph and he will have it all to do to be back for R/E let alone Laois.

weareros

Enjoyable game. Great comeback by Limerick.

G@@

Laois 2-16 v 2-27 Wexford.

First of all, that scoreline doesn't do us justice, but such is the game of hurling that a scoreline can be cruel none-the-less.

Laois were fantastic in the first half in particular and gave Wexford plenty of hurling and were unlucky not to be going in 2pts up instead of 2pts down. We seemed to lack another player or two who are confident enough to take a long range pop at a point, particularly when we have a breeze on our back. Wexford showed this in the last fifteen minutes by reeling off several long range points, though the breeze was gaining more momentum towards the full time whistle as the drizzle sprayed across the field.

Wexford's fitness and conditioning certainly showed in it's superiority over Laois from around 55mins onwards. Laois lads were getting weary and seemed energy sapped at that stage. However, compared to this time last year I think Laois look a bit better in this department. The game was played at near-championship pace and both teams served us up a good battling game despite the heavy underfoot conditions.

For Laois, Enda Roland's 1-01 was a joy to watch as was Willie Dunphy's goal. Who was it that robbed and lobbed the Wexford player before laying it off for Dunphy to score? Excellent skill! Dunphy had to pull a bit of magic too to finish it off. One of the nicest goals Laois have scored in OMP!

I felt Senior in the No.2 shirt was very good and he certainly is a prospect for the future. Delaney in the No.6 shirt did well for his debut there (don't recall him at No.6 in recent games). Paddy Purcell was very good and is an old reliable at this stage. Roddy was class in the first half, pity about his missed frees in the second half and he seemed quieter (but not totally quiet either).

Overall not a bad night at the races and I'd say Brennan is happy with the performance overall. Good crowd there tonight.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

Helix.

Quote from: G@@ on January 25, 2020, 10:11:41 PM
Laois 2-16 v 2-27 Wexford.

First of all, that scoreline doesn't do us justice, but such is the game of hurling that a scoreline can be cruel none-the-less.

Laois were fantastic in the first half in particular and gave Wexford plenty of hurling and were unlucky not to be going in 2pts up instead of 2pts down. We seemed to lack another player or two who are confident enough to take a long range pop at a point, particularly when we have a breeze on our back. Wexford showed this in the last fifteen minutes by reeling off several long range points, though the breeze was gaining more momentum towards the full time whistle as the drizzle sprayed across the field.

Wexford's fitness and conditioning certainly showed in it's superiority over Laois from around 55mins onwards. Laois lads were getting weary and seemed energy sapped at that stage. However, compared to this time last year I think Laois look a bit better in this department. The game was played at near-championship pace and both teams served us up a good battling game despite the heavy underfoot conditions.

For Laois, Enda Roland's 1-01 was a joy to watch as was Willie Dunphy's goal. Who was it that robbed and lobbed the Wexford player before laying it off for Dunphy to score? Excellent skill! Dunphy had to pull a bit of magic too to finish it off. One of the nicest goals Laois have scored in OMP!

I felt Senior in the No.2 shirt was very good and he certainly is a prospect for the future. Delaney in the No.6 shirt did well for his debut there (don't recall him at No.6 in recent games). Paddy Purcell was very good and is an old reliable at this stage. Roddy was class in the first half, pity about his missed frees in the second half and he seemed quieter (but not totally quiet either).

Overall not a bad night at the races and I'd say Brennan is happy with the performance overall. Good crowd there tonight.

Wexford were still very wasteful as well with their shooting in both halves. Definitely can't fault work rate of Laois. Wexford bringing a running game and backs attacking from deep carrying the ball. Definitely the conditioning between the two teams told towards last 15-20 minutes. A bit open down the centre at times but least we forget they're Leinster champions and will probably not far off come end of August. Here's hoping a few lads to come back from injury likes of John Lennon and Aaron Dunphy big losses. Roddie decent tonight but needed more help up front.

burdizzo

Quote from: G@@ on January 25, 2020, 10:11:41 PM

It was Stephen Bergin who set up Dunphy. Beautiful skill. However, I fear he hasn't the physique to be consistently a top forward.
I agree, I thought Senior was good on his debut, and Delaney was OK in the centre. I'm sure they wanted Mullaney back on McDonald, but I think he's needed further out. Ciaran McEvoy wasn't bad, either. It's lad like him w/ the bit of size we need. Same w/ Frank Flannagan. They're both far from the finished article, however.
I can't say I thought Paddy Purcell had a good game, and James Ryan wasn't really at the races, either. Ross was on fire, and easily the most dangerous forward we had tonight.
But, as the previous posters said, admirable work rate. Wexford are strong, quick, and look good for the time of year.

Mossy Bruce

Great commentary on the match there, lads. Thanks!

I had to work during all but the last 10 minutes of the match (then listened in on Midlands Radio). Read the Twitter feeds for the prior part of the match. It looks like the lads played a respectable match--with lots of news lads--and against Wexford, no less!

So can someone tell more about the circumstances of Enda Rowland's goal?
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Blow-in

Felt Ciaran McEvoy was poor. Got roasted his side in the first half. James Ryan very poor also!.
I'm told Foyle gone off the panel. Management weren't happy with his conditioning. Was told to buck up or leave so he took the easy option like the other 9/10 players this year.

Giovanni

Decent enough performance but agree that Wexford were well ahead in fitness. Considering all the injuries and defections, you'd have to be happy. Roddy was excellent but I think there's more to come from several others.

Anyone know why PJ Scully is absent? Would have thought he'd be one lad well in the mix?