Allianz Hurling League 2020

Started by Mossy Bruce, November 26, 2019, 10:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giovanni

I don't agree. Wexford took the two goal chances they had (the second of which came from a bad mistake from us rather than any particular brilliance on their side - just as our second goal came from a mistake on their side). Other than that, Rowland hadn't a lot to do. Wexford were certainly a much better team overall but to present this as some kind of annihilation is also not correct. There wasn't a lot in it until the last 20 minutes and I don't think it's right to simply dismiss that and conclude that we're not up to it.

redsetanta

I had a mass to go to on Saturday evening so couldn't make the start but I was driving to Portlaoise with about 10 minutes left in the first half and from listening to Jack Nolan they were giving as good as they got.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

blueandwhite1

I read all the media reports and the usual Jack Nolan assessment. Absolute nonsense and had no basis in reality. We were absolutely terrible in comparison. At no point, regardless of the scoreboard, were we within an asses roar of Wexford. Couldn't win a ball, couldn't control a ball, couldn't pass a ball, couldn't defend the Wexford runners and relied on Ross King and the long ball from Rowland completely. I'm not saying this just to be negative. This was the worst display I have seen from Laois since Eddie took over. It will need to improve 200% to not get hammered in the other league games. Saying it as I saw it. I read some of the Midlands radio 3 / Laoistalk tweets during the match. None of them reflected the gulf between the teams. For those who weren't at the match, don't believe the hype. I saw that match as a hammering everywhere except on the scoreboard, where we still lost by a good bit.

The reason Rowland hadn't alot to do in first half (other than pull the ball out of the net twice), was because we successfully fouled them and got a few yellows, luckily.

Giovanni

I was at the match and don't follow Midlands and I would have a different view from you.

Wexford actually did more fouling than we did so I don't think that's the explanation for the fact that Rowland hadn't a lot to do.

I agree that the last 20 minutes were very poor but this was more about fitness than anything else. Wexford looked super fit for this time of year.

G@@

Laois V Dublin tomorrow in Dublin at 2pm:

Enda Rowland; Liam Senior, Ryan Mullaney, Donncha Harnett; Jack Kelly, Padraig Delaney, Ciaran McEvoy; Fiachra C Fennell, Ciaran Comerford; Aaron Bergin, Paddy Purcell, James Ryan; Ross King, Willie Dunphy, Stephen Bergin.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

G@@

Laois 2-17 v 4-18 Dublin

Beaten by 7 points.

Very limited coverage on Midlands Radio 103.

Anyone at the game to give an insight.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

Joeythelips

Any reports on this lads? The Dublin start to both halves were obviously the deciding factors but just wondering how Laois faired in general.

blueandwhite1

Have little to add as I was listening on the radio / social media. From the sounds of it we weren't overwhelmed as we were against Dublin in the Walsh cup and Wexford last week.

Wonder if Ryan Mullaney and Liam Senior are ok? Noticed both were taken off. Last think we need is to lose backs.

Good to see John Lennon and Aaron Dunphy back.

burdizzo

They had clips of the goals on the TV last night. Couple of them quite preventable.

redsetanta

Kavanagh sorely missed for the free taking. As good as King is he missed a few relatively easy frees that I wouldn't see Kavanagh missing.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Laois Rising

I agree on the free taking concerns. If Laois are to pull off a big scalp/be competitive in the Leinster championship we will need to take absolutely every chance presented.

portlaoisekid

Both matches were similiar for me anyway, Laois were ok at best in both but we are desperatly missing the lads who are out though injury and otherwise .We just dont have the numbers, Ross is a good player but he is alone in the forwards, Cha and Mark Kavangh are massive losses.

Also in both matches we fell off a cliff for the last 20 minutes or so, conditioning wise we are miles off.

There has been some bright spots but its just not enough to beat the better teams. We need the few new lads coming in and supplementing the team rather than coming in to make up the gaping holes left by experienced lads.

I would say Eddie is at his wits end with lads not committing, Its already been suggested there is no chance he is staying beyond this year.At this moment in time it seems last years success has meant nothing and brought us nowhere

Unlaoised

Eddie had to be talked into staying I heard he was for the off a few weeks back
LAOIS ABÚ

clonadmad

You could hardly blame him.

No where else would this lack of commitment take place.

In 3/4 Years time and we down in 2 or worse where Offaly are,at the minute in the championship.

We will rue the opportunity we had as a county.

portlaoisekid

Quote from: Unlaoised on February 04, 2020, 10:34:35 AM
Eddie had to be talked into staying I heard he was for the off a few weeks back
100% true, CB fault, players dug him out.