Referee Hit in Westmeath Club Game

Started by thejuice, June 13, 2007, 04:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

THE GAA'S growing problem with indiscipline is in the spotlight again after a shocking attack on a referee in a Westmeath club match.

The latest shameful episode occurred in a Westmeath IFC fixture between Ballymore and Ballynacargy on Sunday last when county panelist Paddy Martin was involved in a clash with match referee Tom Duffy.

The flashpoint happened in the dying minutes of the keenly-contested encounter which was eventually won 0-13 to 0-12 by Martin's team Ballymore.

According to an eyewitness, referee Duffy awarded Ballymore a free shortly before the end of the game, which Martin elected to take. As often happens in similar situations, Martin was taking his time to compose himself and waited, but as he prepared to take the kick, the referee informed him that couldn't delay any longer.

The local Athlone Voice newspaper reported that the drama then unfolded as Martin was ordered off the field.

Soon after, Martin was alleged to have confronted the match official who ended up on the ground (as pictured above).

Despite the incident, referee Duffy did not abandon the match. The Moate clubman eventually rose to his feet and after getting some attention, he stayed officiating until the end.

Im sick of hearing about these incidents. Lot long ago a referee was kicked in a Kerry club match. there were more similar incidents happening around the country. I dont know what the best solution would be but my solution would be jail for assault. Fine you might hit a player that as you have been engaged in a physical contact sport but to hit an official is a criminal act as far as Im concerned. Fine Im overacting but im angry as hell over this.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

stpauls

I know we were involved in a game last week which was abandoned due the ref getting a bit of verbal abuse after sending one of our players off, but to punch a referee for the same thing is a completely different matter. I hope this thug gets what is coming to him and a life time ban from the game is the only thing he deserves, and maybe even a criminal record!!!

edit: fair play to the ref for getting up after his treatment and finishing the game!!! takes a dedicated man to do that!!

The Real SlimShady

leave it lads, the involved player isnt very well. apparently he was diagnosed with Paddy Bradley Syndrome last week and the outlook isnt good.

J70

Look at his team mate in the background with his hands on his head!

cavan4ever

Lifetime ban from playing coaching and 3 months in jail would sort alot of it out.

Springfield

Real good Slim. Paddy Bradley grabbed the ref by the shirt. A bit of a difference here quite obviousally.

Cargin have alwayd had a good relationship with referees too  ::)

Lone Shark

If the referee wanted to pursue an assault charge, then I personally would feel he's well within his rights to do so, but it's hardly the role of the GAA to encourage this - merely to make sure that observers provide evidence if required to do so.

Having said that, I cannot understand how the GAA don't do a lot more to protect referees. I'm not trying to single out this guy, but say if found guilty he gets three months (disgracefully short in that case, but worryingly likely) and then some referee is assigned to take charge of his club in a Westmeath semi final or final in September. What happens when he wants to whistle this guy for overcarrying, or taking a free from the wrong spot? Does he have to worry if he's going to get a wallop in the jaw for his trouble?

Anything less than a two year ban for an offence like this is an insult to referees everywhere. Even then that would be for a guy with no track record of "losing the head" and who was extremely contrite.  

Maximus Marillius

Springfield you shouldn't take the bait....Slimwas banned a few weeks ago for his bad manners...its only a matter of time before he is banned again....and then returns as the real real slim shady :D

The Real SlimShady

Quote from: Springfield on June 13, 2007, 04:20:38 PM
Real good Slim. Paddy Bradley grabbed the ref by the shirt. A bit of a difference here quite obviousally.

Cargin have alwayd had a good relationship with referees too  ::)

cant recall any of our players assaulting one though!

oh, and there is a poster on this board from Antrim who is a ref and is alleged to have assaulted a player whilst officiating  :o

magpie seanie

I saw a player getting hit by an umpire with a flag a while back. It was a non-neutral umpire granted but it was a championship game!

45GoneShort

Isn't it any wonder there is a shortage of Referees.  How on earth would you put up with it.  Speaking as a former ref i gave it up after a few games, i was spat at and called every name under the sun in the space of five or six games.  As i always say to people who criticise referees, the reason why there is a poor quality of referees in the game is because good potentials referees aren't prepared to put up with that kind of shite.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: 45GoneShort on June 13, 2007, 05:02:10 PM
Isn't it any wonder there is a shortage of Referees.  How on earth would you put up with it.  Speaking as a former ref i gave it up after a few games, i was spat at and called every name under the sun in the space of five or six games.  As i always say to people who criticise referees, the reason why there is a poor quality of referees in the game is because good potentials referees aren't prepared to put up with that kind of shite.

Indeed, can't have it both ways. The bottom line is that the officials, regardless of perceived incompetence, partiality, etc., should not under any circumstances be the subject of abuse of any kind, especially from players.  Such disrespect has no place in our games, and it's up to mentors to hammer home this point at every available and necessary opportunity.

The most notorious case of referee abuse still goes to the poor sod in Wicklow who was locked up in the boot of his car, and if that didn't alert the powers that be of the seriousness of officiating affairs, nothing will!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Hedley Lamarr

While I don't agree with hitting any official I have certain sympathies...........lets be honest..........name 5 top class referees in GAA........difficult...ok name 2.

A lot of referees want to be the centre of attention.........and most achieve this by crazy decisions.............players train 2-3 nights per week and have to put up with complete clowns most of the time

the solution IMHO is pay them a decent fee and have regular fitness/rules tests.
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

prewtna

i agree with most of whats being said. touch the ref and you should expect a hefty suspension, in a soccer match a couple of years ago, a lad on our local team decked the ref, panned him out.

he got 10 years of a suspension. ended his career.

is it too much? probably a bit severe but a year or two would have the desired effect id say.

officials no matter how bad, have a job to do and deserve respect. so a decent suspension for the clown in the picture is in order.

stew

I had my fair share of arguments with refs and got sent off plenty of times too, I acted like a sc**bag once and head butted a lad after he took me out by the root, I thought I had killed him and I am ashamed of that act to this day so I understand peoples frustrations in games but I never  even came close to hitting a ref and thankfully I have never seen one hit.

I got a month suspension and I should have got jail. I was one lucky tube to get away with no jail time.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.