37 (20.7%)
Not sure
16 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 179

Voting closed: July 31, 2018, 12:59:52 PM

johnnycool

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on August 01, 2018, 01:45:59 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on August 01, 2018, 01:28:42 PM

I'd image it's the same number as soccer grounds designed with GAA in mind.
Correct. So what exactly are you arguing here?

I'm saying that because Cork GAA availed of Government funding for PuC they can't be forced to open it up to soccer just like Drogheda and Louth CC don't have to make their facilities suit GAA before they too also can avail of Government funding. If one is to be forced to then so must the other. I can see where the high percentage of capital funding may cause problems though and the community aspect was the Irish Government covering themselves for future challenges.

Yes, multi use facilities should receive preference but not being multi use either by pitch dimensions or association rules shouldn't preclude either and saying that a basic soccer pitch supports GAA is just plain bullshit.

If the GAA want to open up their facilities then it should be on their own terms. I personally think they should but only under license from Croke Park using transparent policies and procedures.

Jim,
  Those capital funding grants you mention, do they require matched funding by the clubs like some grants here in the North?

I know when the National Lottery funding here in the North was initially rolled out, two prerequisites were matched funding and owning your own premises which meant a lot of the soccer clubs using council facilities and not able to scratch their own arses couldn't avail and a lot of GAA clubs did. This was initially viewed as a perceived GAA bias when it was nothing of the sort.

I've been involved in grants applications with my own club and also challenging our local council on providing a multi functional 3G pitch which was a glorified soccer pitch which we've challenged and will continue to do so, hence some of my irksome responses with people making similar claims on here.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: johnnycool on August 01, 2018, 02:58:50 PM
Jim,
  Those capital funding grants you mention, do they require matched funding by the clubs like some grants here in the North?

For a department grant you must match with 5% of the amount you are requesting.  (That can be in the form of a cash or a loan approval)

Also at the moment the sharing of facilities has a low weighting in the scoring system.  If that was adjusted it could skew matters greatly.  Note that the scoring is only awarded if evidence is provided. (ie written agreement or license between particular sports).

I am not giving the figure to portray a bias towards GAA.  My point is if you total up the money the GAA get it is a lot and would be hard to replace if jeopardized. 

If the GAA want to open up their facilities then it should be on their own terms. I personally think they should but only under license from Croke Park using transparent policies and procedures.

That would be my view too.  I think it's time to develop and publish such policies for the distribution to all clubs for discussion.  That way if a vote comes to congress on this (I feel that is inevitable) people have a context for the vote.  So when a GAA club or county apply for a grant they will have a standard template and licensing agreement to submit outlining what the terms and conditions of sharing any facilities.

I'm saying that because Cork GAA availed of Government funding for PuC they can't be forced to open it up to soccer just like Drogheda and Louth CC don't have to make their facilities suit GAA before they too also can avail of Government funding. If one is to be forced to then so must the other. I can see where the high percentage of capital funding may cause problems though and the community aspect was the Irish Government covering themselves for future challenges.

I know you are fond of this example but there are many differences. 

1.The GAA voluntarily opened PuC, nobody forced them.  The government may have rattled their sabre but remember the GAA claim that they had legal advice that they had fulfilled State Aid requirements.

2. This is about relative priority and share of the money.  If the Dundalk come in with signed agreements with local rugby, hockey club, athletics or other community groups it will count for a whole lot more than the dimensions of the playing area.  The scoring system, appeals process etc.. for the department is all published and subject to legal review.

3. As you acknowledge, the amount of the government funding for a specific project, relative to overall grants to various organisation determines whether a grant can be considered state aid.  Whether or not there is joint ownership is also relevant.  That is what brought PuC investment into spotlight.  So whether the FAI own the new development in it's entirety and how much money they get will be significant.

So while you may feel that some kind of quid pro-quo between the GAA and soccer (and I can see your point), it just will not really come into play that often.

/Jim.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on August 01, 2018, 01:45:59 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on August 01, 2018, 01:28:42 PM

I'd image it's the same number as soccer grounds designed with GAA in mind.
Correct. So what exactly are you arguing here?

Yes, multi use facilities should receive preference but not being multi use either by pitch dimensions or association rules shouldn't preclude either and saying that a basic soccer pitch supports GAA is just plain bullshit.

Jim,

I know when the National Lottery funding here in the North was initially rolled out, two prerequisites were matched funding and owning your own premises which meant a lot of the soccer clubs using council facilities and not able to scratch their own arses couldn't avail and a lot of GAA clubs did. This was initially viewed as a perceived GAA bias when it was nothing of the sort.

I've been involved in grants applications with my own club and also challenging our local council on providing a multi functional 3G pitch which was a glorified soccer pitch which we've challenged and will continue to do so, hence some of my irksome responses with people making similar claims on here.

You seem to have deliberately ignored the point. The size of the grant for PuC caused an EU investigation under state funding/competition  law. And a condition was opening for community events. If you want 'own terms' cut a cheque for €30m and give it back.

If Louth co co and the FAI get similar conditions do you think they will blink an eye?

Again, if you think from a sports funding persective that rule 42 is the same thing as soccer pitches being smaller you are being stunningly naive or mischievous

trailer

Baile Brigín 2 Is your gripe about rule 42? Do you realise there is a perfectly democratic way in which it can be removed?

Rossfan

You'd have to be a paid up GAA Club nember to set that rolling ;)
An effort to overturn 42 a year or 2 ago  attracted 24% support.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: trailer on August 01, 2018, 06:54:01 PM
Baile Brigín 2 Is your gripe about rule 42? Do you realise there is a perfectly democratic way in which it can be removed?
Yes, but i accept that it was defeated recently. My gripe is more however the blatant hypocricy the Milker debacle shone a light on. The right to refuse to shate but insist on sharing other sports grounds.

trailer

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on August 01, 2018, 07:32:53 PM
Yes, but i accept that it was defeated recently. My gripe is more however the blatant hypocricy the Milker debacle shone a light on. The right to refuse to shate but insist on sharing other sports grounds.

When has the GAA insisted on sharing other grounds?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: trailer on August 01, 2018, 08:13:50 PM

Tallaght. Landsdowne Road.

trailer

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on August 01, 2018, 09:01:25 PM

Is this documented somewhere? Sure neither of those grounds are suitable for GAA.

omaghjoe

Quote from: trailer on August 01, 2018, 09:40:39 PM

Is this documented somewhere? Sure neither of those grounds are suitable for GAA.

They wanted it for rounders didnt they

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: trailer on August 01, 2018, 09:40:39 PM

Are you being serious?

From the Bunker

dublin7

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 15, 2018, 03:05:08 PM
Looking forward to the reception Duffer gets!

I'd imagine he'll get a great reception along with all the other players who volunteered their time.

laoislad

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 15, 2018, 03:05:08 PM
Looking forward to the reception Duffer gets!
Are you expecting anything other than a good reception for him?
I met him a few years ago. He gave up his time to come to meet my eldest fellas football team,all the kids have special needs.
He spent the guts of 2 hours posing for photos with the kids and talking to them. Couldn't meet a nicer fella imo.
So he made a few comments regarding this chairty game,maybe he was right and that's what people don't like about it. The truth hurts sometimes.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.