Should the 2020 championship be cancelled?

Started by macdanger2, October 19, 2020, 10:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the 2020 championship be cancelled?

Yes
36 (40%)
No
54 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 20, 2020, 03:00:40 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on October 20, 2020, 02:13:56 PM
As an aside

I'm not sure the 'vast majority' are semi pro. There are 20 clubs. Shamrock Rovers x2, Cork, Dundalk, Waterford, Derry, Sligo and Pats are full time, Bohs and Shels a mix meaning only Harps are semi pro in the Premier. In the first Rovers are full time and UCD full time students. So of the 20 teams 9 are fully pro, 2 mixed and 9 not.

I didn't realise that there were that many fully pro clubs tbh.

The point is valid for LoI D1 though

Yes and no. Yes in most have jobs. No in they are regularly tested and following a strict protoco

armaghniac

I'm not sure the 'vast majority' are semi pro. There are 20 clubs. Shamrock Rovers x2, Cork, Dundalk, Waterford, Derry, Sligo and Pats are full time, Bohs and Shels a mix meaning only Harps are semi pro in the Premier. In the first Rovers are full time and UCD full time students. So of the 20 teams 9 are fully pro, 2 mixed and 9 not.

Full time students? it isn't as they are likely to mingle with others and get Covid.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: armaghniac on October 20, 2020, 07:28:36 PM

Full time students? it isn't as they are likely to mingle with others and get Covid.
On a closed campus?

Hound

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 20, 2020, 02:04:34 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on October 20, 2020, 01:40:45 PM

Based on the Louth captain's interview a few days ago and what happened in the club championships it doesn't seem as though any meaningful testing is going on so it's difficult to have much faith in the GAA that they'll get this right

Based on the captain of a Louth team who probably are one group of players that had no desire to return to play. Relegation to Division 4 at the weekend and will likely have 1 championship game.

Rapid testing introduction is very useful however for those that don't already know and that includes the Louth captain it seems? This testing is to be requested than mandatory
Why does it have to be requested?

I'm in favour of the championship taking place, but I had assumed that every player would need to undertake a mandatory Covid test to be allowed take the field. Every week.

If that's not feasible, that would change my mind.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Hound on October 20, 2020, 10:10:39 PM

Based on the Louth captain's interview a few days ago and what happened in the club championships it doesn't seem as though any meaningful testing is going on so it's difficult to have much faith in the GAA that they'll get this right

Based on the captain of a Louth team who probably are one group of players that had no desire to return to play. Relegation to Division 4 at the weekend and will likely have 1 championship game.

Rapid testing introduction is very useful however for those that don't already know and that includes the Louth captain it seems? This testing is to be requested than mandatory

I'm in favour of the championship taking place, but I had assumed that every player would need to undertake a mandatory Covid test to be allowed take the field. Every week.

That's the current testing system in place. A lot better than what club players had before their championship games. Some counties well may request it before each game?

dublin7

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 20, 2020, 11:01:57 PM

That's the current testing system in place. A lot better than what club players had before their championship games. Some counties well may request it before each game?

They shouldn't have to request it. It should be mandatory. Allowing people to travel/mingle with other people who don't realise they're infected is one the reasons cases are so high

Captain Obvious

Quote from: dublin7 on October 20, 2020, 11:06:08 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 20, 2020, 11:01:57 PM

They shouldn't have to request it. It should be mandatory. Allowing people to travel/mingle with other people who don't realise they're infected is one the reasons cases are so high
You'll have to ask those in charge why it isn't mandatory. Either way counties before their games should request it, better to be safe than sorry.

JoG2

Tbh, I'd be on the side of shelving this year's championship. I love the game as much as the next person and appreciate the benefit of watching and looking forward to weekend  games etc. But having watched a close friend really struggle since March, and now a family member and another close friend being laid low (over a week sleeping 20+ hours a day, taste, smell gone and completely misearable. 1 is due out of their isolated bedroom on Thursday morning to rejoin their family and restart work as a self-employed builder yet can't walk the length of themselves). I appreciate this is Derry City and the numbers are very high. I just don't think it is worth it atm.

Hound

Quote from: JoG2 on October 21, 2020, 12:05:53 AM
Tbh, I'd be on the side of shelving this year's championship. I love the game as much as the next person and appreciate the benefit of watching and looking forward to weekend  games etc. But having watched a close friend really struggle since March, and now a family member and another close friend being laid low (over a week sleeping 20+ hours a day, taste, smell gone and completely misearable. 1 is due out of their isolated bedroom on Thursday morning to rejoin their family and restart work as a self-employed builder yet can't walk the length of themselves). I appreciate this is Derry City and the numbers are very high. I just don't think it is worth it atm.
And some morons think it's like the flu, just because they don't have any friends or family who have suffered really badly with it.

Where we're at,  both north and south, mandatory weekly testing (for all panel members, selectors, officials) would put both players' minds at ease and players' families' minds at ease. And it would significantly reduce the risk of the games spreading the virus.

There would be a furore if teams lose 4, 5 , 6 players who test positive. But it would be a good thing for them, their families and their teammates (and teammates' families) to be able to identify them so they can isolate and not spread it further.

Baile Brigín 2

Are we really suggesting that the GAA us incapable of a testing regieme for around 6 weeks where the FAI managed very well for 6 months?

Captain Obvious

macdanger2

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on October 21, 2020, 11:46:39 AM
Are we really suggesting that the GAA us incapable of a testing regieme for around 6 weeks where the FAI managed very well for 6 months?

What is the FAI's testing regime before/after matches?

dublin7

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 21, 2020, 03:48:01 PM

Players are all tested twice a week. Any player who tests positive is required to self isolate for 14 days. Some clubs allowed a small no of fans into the grounds for games. These fans were all required to complete a Covid questionnaire online before travelling to the ground.

Blowitupref

Quote from: dublin7 on October 21, 2020, 04:25:59 PM

Players are all tested twice a week. Any player who tests positive is required to self isolate for 14 days. Some clubs allowed a small no of fans into the grounds for games. These fans were all required to complete a Covid questionnaire online before travelling to the ground.
Is it still 14 days to isolate, I thought I read somewhere it's 10 days now?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

JoG2

Quote from: Blowitupref on October 21, 2020, 04:42:34 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on October 21, 2020, 04:25:59 PM

Is it still 14 days to isolate, I thought I read somewhere it's 10 days now?

If you test positive, it's 10 days from your symptons showing. If you're close contact with someone who has tested positive, it's 14 days from contact