Should the 2020 championship be cancelled?

Started by macdanger2, October 19, 2020, 10:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the 2020 championship be cancelled?

Yes
36 (40%)
No
54 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Rossfan on October 20, 2020, 09:55:55 AM
Just had a discussion with a local barber.
He is fkn fuming that he has to shut down his livelihood while hundreds of "GAA players" can travel the length and breadth of the Country indulging in their pastime and most of them in "safe jobs" that they can continue to go into.
Tried to point out that his business would still be closed even if the GAA cancelled all games for the 6 weeks but he's not listening.
As far as he's concerned those hundreds of players are at more risk of catching/spreading it than him cutting a few locsl lads' hair every day.
I get the good for morale bit and NPHET say it's ok but my gut reaction is the Championships shouldn't happen.

You see that's totally illogical. The chances of catching the virus outdoors is something like 22 times less. Players moving around at speed in an outdoor environment are a totally different scenario to a man being in close proximity to people indoors for 20-30 minutes. So his argument is that even if it's deemed safe it should stop because he has to close even though there is no correlation between the two things?

macdanger2

Quote from: Redhand Santa on October 20, 2020, 07:47:34 AM
Of course a lot of people want the games cancelled simply because it's the gaa and they don't like it. That's fine but I don't particularly care on their opinion as they will use any opportunity to get a dig at the gaa. The agenda is already an anti gaa one as no one is discussing the league of ireland or pro 14 who's players also live in the community. These people will completely ignore the huge joy the gaa games bring to many thousands of people. There'll be plenty of sick or lonely people at the minute who will find a bit of normality and hope from the gaa going ahead.

TBF, there aren't too many of those on here, most posters are diehard GAA people. I only posed the question to get a feel for what GAA people think about it

I agree with your general point though that it's only the GAA championship that's being discussed in the media rather than LoI (vast majority amateur) or pro 14 (vast majority professional but with an international element which must increase risk)

thewobbler

The thing about the spring lockdown was that we knew summer was coming at the end of it. The evenings were getting longer. Then we had that amazing spell of weather.

The first weekend of autumn lockdown was actually a lot more bearable than I expected because:

1. The weather was good,
2. I got to play golf,
3. There was GAA, soccer and NFL on the TV.

Number 1 will not happen that often over the coming months. Number 2 is dependent on number 1 (-(and Govt policy). At least number 3, if available, will provide a structure to the weekend going forward; something to look forward to and reflect upon, in otherwise mundane times.

Obviously not everyone is into sport. But a sizeable chunk of the population are - and if the actions of 1,000 athletes are going to help tens or hundreds of thousands of us from going stir crazy this winter, then I say bring it on. We need it. If we can assign "front line jobs" for all manner of production, then we surely can to the same for a service.

trileacman

People are willing to trust the medical experts on going to level 5 so why not trust them that sport at this level is ok and provides other benefits. Some people just seem to want to cancel it because other things are being cancelled/stopped without any evidence that it will actually make any difference. Thousands of club games were played until recently and the only transmission identified was of the pitch at celebrations (always one club and not passed on to the club they played that day). At county level there will be even stricter protocols in place and boys wont be gathering in pubs after the match to reflect on that days games.

Some point out to the travel involved and games in hotspot areas. Again I don't see a massive issue here as teams will be pulling up at a ground playing a game and driving home. It's not like they'll be calling into local establishments after the game. Also after this weeks league games other than a the a very limited number of games at all ireland stages all games will be played within the same province restricting the travel further.

Then you have the argument of it devaluing the competition if players are missing. That is very unfortunate but surely something is better than nothing. Over the years due to recessions, wars etc loads of top players have been missing from counties but we never considered cancelling the games before. And if we cancel the games this year the chances are we might as well cancel them next year as the same circumstances will exist.

The other argument seems to be about the fact the gaa is amateur. This is true but there is still of jobs whether it be administrative, coaching, journalists etc that rely on these games to generate money. There's also the capital investment the gaa makes in projects across the country from the money made.

Of course a lot of people want the games cancelled simply because it's the gaa and they don't like it. That's fine but I don't particularly care on their opinion as they will use any opportunity to get a dig at the gaa. The agenda is already an anti gaa one as no one is discussing the league of ireland or pro 14 who's players also live in the community. These people will completely ignore the huge joy the gaa games bring to many thousands of people. There'll be plenty of sick or lonely people at the minute who will find a bit of normality and hope from the gaa going ahead.

The problem is that the club games were played when infection numbers were low. Now they are rising exponentially. It's not the threat that teams can infect each other on the pitch it's the threat of an outbreak in a changing room/ training session. It's very hard to practice social distancing and still prepare as needed for elite GAA football.

In the end it's about risk to players and more so their families. What about all the players who are in contact with relatives who are high risk groups, overweight/diabetic/heart disease? Are we asking them to choose between risking their loved ones lives and their sense of duty to their team mates and friends? My opinion is that if we only had one death caused by the championship going ahead it's far to high a price to pay.

It's also unsettling that we seem to value a GAA championship more than the economy and the livelihood of tens of thousands of citizens. It seems illogical that we expect thousands of businesses to make big sacrifices but not expect the same of GAA fans.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

five points

Quote from: trileacman on October 20, 2020, 10:14:47 AM

The problem is that the club games were played when infection numbers were low. Now they are rising exponentially. It's not the threat that teams can infect each other on the pitch it's the threat of an outbreak in a changing room/ training session. It's very hard to practice social distancing and still prepare as needed for elite GAA football.

In the end it's about risk to players and more so their families. What about all the players who are in contact with relatives who are high risk groups, overweight/diabetic/heart disease? Are we asking them to choose between risking their loved ones lives and their sense of duty to their team mates and friends? My opinion is that if we only had one death caused by the championship going ahead it's far to high a price to pay.

It's also unsettling that we seem to value a GAA championship more than the economy and the livelihood of tens of thousands of citizens. It seems illogical that we expect thousands of businesses to make big sacrifices but not expect the same of GAA fans.

There is no use of changing rooms this year.

Nobody has to play if they're uncomfortable doing so or if they fear they're putting a relative or anyone else at risk by playing.

People die because of football and hurling all the time. Mainly in road accidents. Should we just shut down shop permanently because of this?

Redhand Santa

People are willing to trust the medical experts on going to level 5 so why not trust them that sport at this level is ok and provides other benefits. Some people just seem to want to cancel it because other things are being cancelled/stopped without any evidence that it will actually make any difference. Thousands of club games were played until recently and the only transmission identified was of the pitch at celebrations (always one club and not passed on to the club they played that day). At county level there will be even stricter protocols in place and boys wont be gathering in pubs after the match to reflect on that days games.

Some point out to the travel involved and games in hotspot areas. Again I don't see a massive issue here as teams will be pulling up at a ground playing a game and driving home. It's not like they'll be calling into local establishments after the game. Also after this weeks league games other than a the a very limited number of games at all ireland stages all games will be played within the same province restricting the travel further.

Then you have the argument of it devaluing the competition if players are missing. That is very unfortunate but surely something is better than nothing. Over the years due to recessions, wars etc loads of top players have been missing from counties but we never considered cancelling the games before. And if we cancel the games this year the chances are we might as well cancel them next year as the same circumstances will exist.

The other argument seems to be about the fact the gaa is amateur. This is true but there is still of jobs whether it be administrative, coaching, journalists etc that rely on these games to generate money. There's also the capital investment the gaa makes in projects across the country from the money made.

But even when cases did rises and there were outbreaks linked to clubs it was only clubs that won something or got to a final and clearly game from post game activities as no other clubs had the same outbreaks. There certainly has to be some comfort taken from that.

I don't think anyone especially the government are valuing the gaa championship above the economy. If it was a straight choice it would be the ecomony every time. But it's not a straight choice and it's like comparing apples and oranges. The places that are being shut are nearly all indoor venues that attract large numbers of people together in a small indoor space. This is where the risk of passing on covid is at its highest. The medical people have obviously looked at sport and decided that behind closed doors in outdoor environments is a relatively safe activity and it will only involve relatively small numbers of people. Given this low risk and the benefits from it they government have decided it should go ahead.

RedHand88

Quote from: pbat on October 20, 2020, 12:31:20 AM
If the GAA are using the Elite line they should be forced to put all 32 teams in hotels from this weekend until they are out of the tournament. 6 weeks for the finalists, pay all players wages for that period. Treat it like a world cup, squads of 30 named 10 of backroom teams no outsiders in or out of camp. But they wouldn't pay for that.

And i'm not anti GAA but believe that's only way to be both safe and fair.

One of the more ridiculous ideas I've heard. It wound bankrupt the association.

APM

Quote from: Redhand Santa on October 20, 2020, 10:29:56 AM

But even when cases did rises and there were outbreaks linked to clubs it was only clubs that won something or got to a final and clearly game from post game activities as no other clubs had the same outbreaks. There certainly has to be some comfort taken from that.

I don't think anyone especially the government are valuing the gaa championship above the economy. If it was a straight choice it would be the ecomony every time. But it's not a straight choice and it's like comparing apples and oranges. The places that are being shut are nearly all indoor venues that attract large numbers of people together in a small indoor space. This is where the risk of passing on covid is at its highest. The medical people have obviously looked at sport and decided that behind closed doors in outdoor environments is a relatively safe activity and it will only involve relatively small numbers of people. Given this low risk and the benefits from it they government have decided it should go ahead.

Agree!
Personally, I would have drawn the line at senior men/women football, hurling and camogie.  That is about 3,500 players the first weekend of games.  The second weekend it is half that.  It'll be over soon enough and if it creates a bit of entertainment and interest for people between now and Christmas, it should go ahead. 

But on the other hand, if I thought for one second that it could result in Tyrone winning a handy all-Ireland, I would agree absolutely that it shouldn't go ahead.   ;D

tonto1888

Quote from: Redhand Santa on October 20, 2020, 07:50:06 AM
Quote from: pbat on October 20, 2020, 12:31:20 AM
If the GAA are using the Elite line they should be forced to put all 32 teams in hotels from this weekend until they are out of the tournament. 6 weeks for the finalists, pay all players wages for that period. Treat it like a world cup, squads of 30 named 10 of backroom teams no outsiders in or out of camp. But they wouldn't pay for that.

And i'm not anti GAA but believe that's only way to be both safe and fair.

I'm fairly sure this isn't happening for the other elite games going on in the league of ireland or pro 14. Does this mean they aren't elite either?

I believe elite means that you are earning your living from that sport?

five points

Quote from: tonto1888 on October 20, 2020, 10:52:22 AM

Hardly. There are elite amateur sports.

tonto1888

Quote from: five points on October 20, 2020, 10:57:03 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on October 20, 2020, 10:52:22 AM

Hardly. There are elite amateur sports.

There is a bit more to it alright
For the purposes of this guidance the definition of an 'elite athlete' means a person who is:

an individual who derives a living from competing in a sport
a senior representative nominated by a relevant sporting body
a member of the senior training squad for a relevant sporting body, or
aged 16 or above and on an elite development pathway.

Angelo

I would say yes.

Not out of public health concerns, I just believe it will be a sham of a Championship.

We are conceivably 3 months or so away from the start of the league so why not just go at it with a fresh season.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Rossfan

Quote from: Redhand Santa on October 20, 2020, 10:03:18 AM
He is fkn fuming that he has to shut down his livelihood while hundreds of "GAA players" can travel the length and breadth of the Country indulging in their pastime and most of them in "safe jobs" that they can continue to go into.
Tried to point out that his business would still be closed even if the GAA cancelled all games for the 6 weeks but he's not listening.
As far as he's concerned those hundreds of players are at more risk of catching/spreading it than him cutting a few locsl lads' hair every day.
I get the good for morale bit and NPHET say it's ok but my gut reaction is the Championships shouldn't happen.

The chances of catching the virus outdoors is something like 22 times less. Players moving around at speed in an outdoor environment are a totally different scenario to a man being in close proximity to people indoors for 20-30 minutes.
And do all the players walk/cycle to the venue on their own?
Post match meal?
Cork football team travelling to Johnstown Hotel in Meath night before they play Longford.
How many hours will that bunch of 30-40 people spend together in enclosed settings?
Just to play a "dead rubber" game if amateur football.
I suppose the Provincial only nature of the football Championship will cut down on distance and need for group travel.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Rossfan on October 20, 2020, 11:30:18 AM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on October 20, 2020, 10:03:18 AM

The chances of catching the virus outdoors is something like 22 times less. Players moving around at speed in an outdoor environment are a totally different scenario to a man being in close proximity to people indoors for 20-30 minutes.
And do all the players walk/cycle to the venue on their own?
Post match meal?
Cork football team travelling to Johnstown Hotel in Meath night before they play Longford.
How many hours will that bunch of 30-40 people spend together in enclosed settings?
Just to play a "dead rubber" game if amateur football.
I suppose the Provincial only nature of the football Championship will cut down on distance and need for group travel.

As you said yourself after this week travel will be a lot less and should lead to less complications. There is talk of Longford conceding that game so it won't be an issue. As far as I know the Tyrone players are making there way to and from Mayo on their own to avoid any issues. That's probably the safest way of doing it at the minute. Certainly precautions can be taken to avoid large indoor gatherings which are the biggest risk factor.

Main Street

There is a difference between citizens travelling randomly around the country visiting places/people and a sport squad who are subject to higher standards of testing/protection and can be trusted to travel from one place to another while adhering to strict travel protocol.
Means Dublin GAA get good benefit from their helicopter fleet.

after the  1/4 finals  there will only  be 16 teams involved and in no time it will be all over.