?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Main Street on August 08, 2014, 10:12:24 AM
Easy does it.   Get Samaras back now! ;D
Bad 12 hours for Polish league,  Legia Warsaw (their only decent team) are out on a technicality after a stomping win against Celtic  and  Lech Poznan fans (the ones who bounce in harmony) suffered the humiliation of being eliminated by an Icelandic side
have to say that I immediately thought the same- SOS send outfor Sammy !!!

Main Street

Quote from: general on August 08, 2014, 11:27:23 AM
he Champions League play-off draw in full:

Maribor v Celtic
SV Red Bull Salzburg v Malmo
AaB v APOEL Nicosia
Steaua Bucuresti v Ludogorets
Slovan Bratislava v BATE
Besiktas v Arsenal
Standard Liege v Zenit St. Petersburg
FC Copenhagen v Bayer Leverkusen
Lille v FC Porto
Napoli v Athletic Bilbao

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/champions-league-play-arsenal-play-turkish-side-besiktas-140808106451#HlfZSBHx2XBRbFRR.99
From the league placing side of the draw,  Napoli v Athletic Bilbao looks to be the stand out tie,

Maribor beat Maccabi Tel Aviv in the 3rd round,  1-0 at home  with a 94th minute winner and drew 2-2 in the away game which was played in front of 700 spectators in Cyprus.

lynchbhoy

years ago youd expect to thump them

now with confidence in themselves, each other and the manager - youd worry.

don't know much about Maribor so cant say how good or bad they are  - though beating macabi tel aviv isn't always easy to do prev.

It will be a huge help to play home game in Celtic Park.

Again for a few shekels more, Celtic board risked , gambled and lost - by taking the money and having the cl qualifier home games away from home.
ok for an experienced good side, but not a new low cost side learning its way under a new manager!!!

FFS

Main Street

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 08, 2014, 12:04:48 PM
years ago youd expect to thump them

now with confidence in themselves, each other and the manager - youd worry.

don't know much about Maribor so cant say how good or bad they are  - though beating macabi tel aviv isn't always easy to do prev.

It will be a huge help to play home game in Celtic Park.

Again for a few shekels more, Celtic board risked , gambled and lost - by taking the money and having the cl qualifier home games away from home.
ok for an experienced good side, but not a new low cost side learning its way under a new manager!!!

FFS
You mean Celtic should have played the home game somewhere closer to home in Glasgow?
I suppose we will have to wait until the match starts to see how Celtic shape up to Maribor, at least they are a few steps down in class from Legia Warsaw.

lenny

Quote from: deiseach on August 08, 2014, 10:30:28 AM
They brought the guy on with two minutes to go when 6-1 up! <insert Picard facepalm image>

It would've been the same outcome even if he had stayed on the bench. You can't name a suspended player in your match day squad. The penalty for doing so is the opponents are awarded a 3-0 victory. They are bound to regret the 2 missed pens in the first leg now. Can't see celtic beating Maribor though. We were dreadful v legia, the worst I've seen us in Europe. At least it means we will be in the Europa league at least which should actually suit celtic better.

deiseach

Quote from: lenny on August 08, 2014, 01:24:58 PM
It would've been the same outcome even if he had stayed on the bench. You can't name a suspended player in your match day squad. The penalty for doing so is the opponents are awarded a 3-0 victory.

Point taken. Was Bereszynski on the bench for the game in Warsaw? That would represent another 3-0 reversal. The fact (if the Guardian report is to be believed) that he wasn't registered for the Pats games does diminish slightly any sympathy I might have for Legia. It doesn't look like they knew what they were doing.

galwayman

I dunno I don't feel too comfortable with this. I know rules are rules but this had zero impact on the result of a tie where Celtic were beaten out the gate.

T Fearon

Remember when Celtic were cheated out of a legitimate victory over Rapid Vienna in the Cup Winners Cup in season 84/85, and made to replay the home tie which they won at Old Trafford (where they lost) and Vienna subsequently reached the final? Well what goes round comes round. Break the rules, pay the price.

screenexile

Quote from: T Fearon on August 08, 2014, 04:00:27 PM
Remember when Celtic were cheated out of a legitimate victory over Rapid Vienna in the Cup Winners Cup in season 84/85, and made to replay the home tie which they won at Old Trafford (where they lost) and Vienna subsequently reached the final? Well what goes round comes round. Break the rules, pay the price.

If Celtic had any pride they would offer a replay or let the other team go on ahead. . .

Syferus

Celtic are the jammiest football club in the world.

Sidney

Quote from: Syferus on August 08, 2014, 04:20:03 PM
Celtic are the jammiest football club in the world.
Don't ever compare us to the Hearts huns.

However we are now going to win the European Cup and troll the fook out of the whole continent.

Minder

Does Tony still want a handout of TV money now that Celtic are back in the Champions Leage?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Main Street

They brought the guy on with two minutes to go when 6-1 up! <insert Picard facepalm image>

It would've been the same outcome even if he had stayed on the bench. You can't name a suspended player in your match day squad. The penalty for doing so is the opponents are awarded a 3-0 victory. They are bound to regret the 2 missed pens in the first leg now. Can't see celtic beating Maribor though. We were dreadful v legia, the worst I've seen us in Europe. At least it means we will be in the Europa league at least which should actually suit celtic better.
Are you sure about that? I remember when a suspended Shane Long  was an unused sub for Ireland  (v Wales?) in a qualifier, there was a penalty to pay for that oversight, but small in comparison to the 3-0 reverse that would have been inflicted had he come on, even for just 2 seconds.

lenny

Quote from: Main Street on August 08, 2014, 05:43:49 PM

Are you sure about that? I remember when a suspended Shane Long  was an unused sub for Ireland  (v Wales?) in a qualifier, there was a penalty to pay for that oversight, but small in comparison to the 3-0 reverse that would have been inflicted had he come on, even for just 2 seconds.

Uefa rules are clear and they have been applied here, Celtic had no part in it. When a club fields a suspended player they forfeit the match. A forfeit means the opponents are awarded a 3-0 win. I'm almost certain that the player just has to be in the match day squad. Someone on the kerrydale street forum had looked at the rule in detail.