Rugby world cup 2015

Started by rrhf, September 13, 2015, 09:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneboi

I thought the Welsh scrum half Davies tries too many times to go on his own in that 10 minute spell which was never going to work against the Aussies. Though you have to hand it to the Aussie defence it was as good as you'll ever see.

Syferus

Maybe it's time rugby looks at American football for how to deal with goal line decisions - too much penalising of the attacker for being illegally held up when he's crossed the try line. It's institutionalised and rules-supported cheating and too few seem to recognise it for what it is.

If it required only a simple breaking of the plane with the ball like American football rather than touching it down it might result in a faster-paced and better all-round spectacle.

screenexile

Quote from: Syferus on October 10, 2015, 11:27:50 PM
Maybe it's time rugby looks at American football for how to deal with goal line decisions - too much penalising of the attacker for being illegally held up when he's crossed the try line. It's institutionalised and rules-supported cheating and too few seem to recognise it for what it is.

If it required only a simple breaking of the plane with the ball like American football rather than touching it down it might result in a faster-paced and better all-round spectacle.

I wouldn't subscribe to that at all Syf!!

Syferus

Quote from: screenexile on October 10, 2015, 11:34:40 PM

Wouldn't be 100% on it myself but there's an awful lot lot wrong with a system where willfully impeding a player grounding a ball results in the attacking team being pushed back at least five meters - the ball will nearly invariably come out of the resulting scrum at least a couple more meters away from the line. You are literally rewarding breaking the rules. Even pushing the scrum nearer the line would be a move in the right direction.

finbar o tool

Definatley needs to be looked at...

As for the rest, i agree Cronin is a bit of a head scratcher, but,  "in Schmidt we trust"! 

For what its worth my picks at the minute are South Africa or Ireland to go all the way. I am hopeful that we are about to set the world cup on fire tomorrow evening!!
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Syferus on October 10, 2015, 11:39:06 PM

Wouldn't be 100% on it myself but there's an awful lot lot wrong with a system where willfully impeding a player grounding a ball results in the attacking team being pushed back at least five meters - the ball will nearly invariably come out of the resulting scrum at least a couple more meters away from the line. You are literally rewarding breaking the rules. Even pushing the scrum nearer the line would be a move in the right direction.
Not having it. The rules are fine and the players know they need ti ground the ball correctly. Breaking the plane would make it too easy.

stew

Quote from: Syferus on October 10, 2015, 11:39:06 PM

That is madness, nail on head.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

muppet

The selection of Earls at 13 is interesting.

Bastereaud has spent his games with us running at Sexton repeatedly. They have been insisting all week that they will target him, presumably with the back-row and Bastereaud.

But now with Earls, Schmidt has given them something to think about. Do French coaches prioritise attack or defence? What about PSE? Does he concentrate on stopping Ireland when the ball goes wide to the likes of Earls and the Irish back 3, or does he say f*ck it, we will outscore them like Kevin Keegan?

My prediction: Liverpool 4 Newcastle 3.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Wildweasel74

Hope we turn up for this one!!

muppet

O'Mahony is playing like a man possessed.

A turnover and wins a scrum on their maul in the first 3 minutes.
MWWSI 2017

BennyCake

Jaysus, how much longer do we have to endure this shite?

Gold

Sexton is actuallyquick on his feet. Good kick too
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Wildweasel74

you useless bollix we were in there,