Rugby world cup 2015

Started by rrhf, September 13, 2015, 09:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Another strange one there. Must be Luke Fitz as cover for full back.

thewobbler

It's hard to believe that some 3 years after the WC draw, Ireland's professional management team has ended up lining out Keith Earls against France's monster midfield, with the king tube himself, Luke Fitzgerald, as cover.

People like this shouldn't be allowed to pick squads. Just teams.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: thewobbler on October 09, 2015, 04:50:09 PM
It's hard to believe that some 3 years after the WC draw, Ireland's professional management team has ended up lining out Keith Earls against France's monster midfield, with the king tube himself, Luke Fitzgerald, as cover.

Who put 50p in this 'expert'!!

Crete Boom

Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 09, 2015, 04:29:06 PM
Another strange one there. Must be Luke Fitz as cover for full back.

Madigan/Tommy Bowe/Dave Kearney can play there as well. I like Fitz especially as a winger or at 12 or 13 but god I hope he doesn't have to go in at fullback after the horror shows he had there for Ireland and Leinster in 2011!!!!

Crete Boom

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 09, 2015, 02:51:15 PM
Earls will be smashed if the French run at him.

No more so than Jared Payne or Luke Fitz. Cave would probably the best defensive option against the French but probably lacks a bit of pace for playing 13 at international level.

thewobbler

Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 09, 2015, 04:57:49 PM

I'm no expert. But one of my big bugbears in sport is when soccer managers pick World Cup squads and they fill out the last positions with  average utility players instead of horses for courses or potential game winners. For example, your last centre forward at a World Cup shouldn't be a winger-come-forward, it should be someone who has a shown ability to come off the bench and score goals, or else the best header of the ball not already in the squad. The rationale being that if you're calling on your 23rd player, then you've got a heap of injuries and suspensions, and are heading out of the competition anyway.... but if that no.23 can provide a genuine short term alternative from the bench, then he could be the difference in a World Cup bid.

Rugby has to operate on similar principles. And the reality is that starting from this weekend, Ireland will need to play 4 games to win a World Cup, and for at least 3 of those games, putting someone as small as Earls in the midfield is basically an act of surrender along the lines of "attack us right here, this is where we are weak". This is inexcusable. But to then have a plan B of the most uninspiring back of the past decade, to come in as needed. Well that's just horrendous planning.

tyroneboi

It's just a pity you weren't available when the job came up a few years ago! If Joe Schmidt deems him good enough to play centre for Ireland then that's good enough for me.

INDIANA

Quote from: thewobbler on October 09, 2015, 05:40:50 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 09, 2015, 04:57:49 PM

I'm no expert. But one of my big bugbears in sport is when soccer managers pick World Cup squads and they fill out the last positions with  average utility players instead of horses for courses or potential game winners. For example, your last centre forward at a World Cup shouldn't be a winger-come-forward, it should be someone who has a shown ability to come off the bench and score goals, or else the best header of the ball not already in the squad. The rationale being that if you're calling on your 23rd player, then you've got a heap of injuries and suspensions, and are heading out of the competition anyway.... but if that no.23 can provide a genuine short term alternative from the bench, then he could be the difference in a World Cup bid.

Rugby has to operate on similar principles. And the reality is that starting from this weekend, Ireland will need to play 4 games to win a World Cup, and for at least 3 of those games, putting someone as small as Earls in the midfield is basically an act of surrender along the lines of "attack us right here, this is where we are weak". This is inexcusable. But to then have a plan B of the most uninspiring back of the past decade, to come in as needed. Well that's just horrendous planning.

He's 2 cm smaller and 2 kilos lighter then Fofana. So I suppose France have no ambition either?

AZOffaly

Ireland don't have Basteraud running down the throat of Foffana. I'm not worried about Earls with the ball in hand, except I think sometimes he butchers overlaps because he takes the wrong option, but he can make a line break, and he is a good finisher. I worry about him being able to tackle because I've watched him fall off tackles for several years at Munster, and if he is targetted by a big ball carrier, he will get hurt.

screenexile

One thing about Payne is he is excellent defensively. Its a big call and could be pivotal but as said before we have to trust Schmidt. He's seeing these lads day in and day out and has proven he knows what he's at.

He'll know the risk and that he'll be slated for it if it backfires. I'll give it a chance.

Also the Henderson thing looks to be the idea of finishing strongly with Reddan in reserve there to speed things up cone the last twenty. Surprised Strauss is in there though Cronin is ideal for the impact game with his explosive carrying ability.

I still think France aren't what they were and we will beat them but the performance will be interesting. Will we go all out or still hold some things back for the QF. Its a big Sunday for Irish sport!!

From the Bunker

Just looking at  Tonga's Population and it is nearly the same as the population of County Waterford!

Walter Cronc

Lads England went like for like on the a welsh midfield and look where that got them. Bastareaud now has to think about Earls attacking him on the outside. Big fat Matty is as much a liability as anything else. Henshaw is the man to cut him down when he comes down either channel.

In Schmidt we trust. Cardiff in the morning. Bring it on!!!

Aaron Boone

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 09, 2015, 08:31:05 PM
Just looking at  Tonga's Population and it is nearly the same as the population of County Waterford!
They don't have John Mullane.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 09, 2015, 11:41:09 PM
Lads England went like for like on the a welsh midfield and look where that got them. Bastareaud now has to think about Earls attacking him on the outside. Big fat Matty is as much a liability as anything else. Henshaw is the man to cut him down when he comes down either channel.

In Schmidt we trust. Cardiff in the morning. Bring it on!!!

;D ;D
Its true he is a defo liability in defence.
And I wouldnt be as worried as Earls as the 9/10 channel. If they give him alot of ball and he takes that channel, he could put those guys of their game. Also have to spread the wealth, cant rely on Henshaw for their runners backrow has to share the slog obviously.

Still a head scratcher about Henderson, make no mistake the power France is up there with anyone on the world stage, they just cant seem to get it all together as yet, but they wil,l and it could be Sunday. This is by no means a gimmie, cos we've had their recent number. Henderson would be a much better man than Toner to combat their physicality but maybe Schmidt is going for the kick and setpiece game as someone pointed out. If it is t'will be terrible to watch but who cares if we win it.

Estimator

Payne ruled out for the rest of the tournament. No replacement confirmed yet.
Ulster League Champions 2009