NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

Quote from: yellowcard on February 05, 2024, 09:51:41 AMMayo and Derry both like greyhounds out of the traps in this years League campaign. However it's a long season and Mayo ultimately flattered to deceive during last years League.

Derry have approached every league campaign like this for the past 3 years and have managed to keep it going deep into the championship. The GAA media seem obsessed about timing your run, usually as an excuse for the big counties losing.  This team has been unbelievably consistent for 3 years now, so the only criticism left is to say we are trying to hard to win every game.

McFaul's best position is definitely at 6, it's a pity for him that McKinless is also so good at it and probably more dangerous as an attacking threat. McFaul very good at linking the play though.

I agree with you Estimator, some pressure on Scullion coming in to that game against a gale force wind with a packed Celtic park and very little experience in county football. He did very well in the circumstances and got most of his kick-outs off.

Estimator

Ulster League Champions 2009

yellowcard

Quote from: Mario on February 05, 2024, 10:28:25 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on February 05, 2024, 09:51:41 AMMayo and Derry both like greyhounds out of the traps in this years League campaign. However it's a long season and Mayo ultimately flattered to deceive during last years League.

Derry have approached every league campaign like this for the past 3 years and have managed to keep it going deep into the championship. The GAA media seem obsessed about timing your run, usually as an excuse for the big counties losing.  This team has been unbelievably consistent for 3 years now, so the only criticism left is to say we are trying to hard to win every game.

McFaul's best position is definitely at 6, it's a pity for him that McKinless is also so good at it and probably more dangerous as an attacking threat. McFaul very good at linking the play though.

I agree with you Estimator, some pressure on Scullion coming in to that game against a gale force wind with a packed Celtic park and very little experience in county football. He did very well in the circumstances and got most of his kick-outs off.

The big difference being that Derry needed to keep winning Leagu games to get promotion. I'm not saying it's a bad thing at all to be winning League matches but it doesn't guarantee success later in the summer either. In fact I'd probably put a division one League title above a provincial title now that they have become diluted. It depends where a team is at in its development and a League title for Derry would be another staging post marked off enroute to trying to win Sam Maguire.

Mario

Quote from: yellowcard on February 05, 2024, 10:38:08 AM

The big difference being that Derry needed to keep winning Leagu games to get promotion. I'm not saying it's a bad thing at all to be winning League matches but it doesn't guarantee success later in the summer either. In fact I'd probably put a division one League title above a provincial title now that they have become diluted. It depends where a team is at in its development and a League title for Derry would be another staging post marked off enroute to trying to win Sam Maguire.

There is no way a Div 1 league title is above an Ulster championship. It's not even near it in terms of fan interest, media interest and what it means to the players. Look at Clones last year for Armagh Derry vs the Mayo Galway league final.

imtommygunn

Division 1 is about staying up. Derry near enough safe and can probably back off. Good breeding ground now for new players. Also you'd expect teams to take it more serious in first year back into it after a while.

Manning18

Quote from: yellowcard on February 05, 2024, 09:51:41 AMGalway are probably the side who are under achieving the most. They probably have the best set of forwards in Ireland yet managed a paltry 9 points against Roscommon. They are epitomised by Shane Walsh who always looks like a great player but yet far too seldom delivers what his ability suggests that he is capable of.

The same Walsh that wasn't playing yesterday?

It's getting a bit ridiculous the slack he takes. He's had one bad season since 2017. There were multiple times over covid he was sensational but Galway were disjointed and got knocked out. Narrative then follows that they can't get the best out of this 'maverick', one that has still somehow has man of the match awards coming out of his ears over the years

Yesterday was a poor game in terrible conditions. Galway will be disappointed they didn't win given the flow of the game but on paper Roscommon were decent favourites going in. Galway are without their 4 most important players by any objective standard and 3 other starters, a situation that won't improve short term. Survival will be a serious achievement at this point

seafoid

Quote from: Manning18 on February 05, 2024, 11:25:56 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on February 05, 2024, 09:51:41 AMGalway are probably the side who are under achieving the most. They probably have the best set of forwards in Ireland yet managed a paltry 9 points against Roscommon. They are epitomised by Shane Walsh who always looks like a great player but yet far too seldom delivers what his ability suggests that he is capable of.

It's getting a bit ridiculous the slack he takes. He's had one bad season since 2017. There were multiple times over covid he was sensational but Galway were disjointed and got knocked out. Narrative then follows that they can't get the best out of this 'maverick', one that has still somehow has man of the match awards coming out of his ears over the years

Yesterday was a poor game in terrible conditions. Galway will be disappointed they didn't win given the flow of the game but on paper Roscommon were decent favourites going in. Galway are without their 4 most important players by any objective standard and 3 other starters, a situation that won't improve short term. Survival will be a serious achievement at this point

Galway will be happy under the radar. They were where Derry are now mediawise  for most of last season, in all of the conversations,  and what good did it do them? They can probably grind out 2 or 3 wins to retain their status. No team in its right mind will want to be prominent now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBwU4aZEsJw
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Conor Glass was interviewed by Marty Morrissey on Radio 1 this morning. He's a great interview as well as everything else.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

tbrick18

Quote from: Estimator on February 05, 2024, 10:15:31 AMDecent, if not overly impressive from Derry.  Butchered numerous scoring opportunities, by adding an extra hand pass instead of fisting/tapping it over the bar from 21yrds out.  But its league football and getting the wins are what really matters.

Tyrone were well in it at half time, silly frees give them the opportunity to stay in touch.  Morgan's free off the ground in the first half was superbly judged.  Not sure why they didn't kick on in the second half.  They didn't go after Scullions kicks outs as much as I would've expected as well.

Ref wasn't fantastic, looked up once and spotted a bit of shirt pulling, give the free and then it never happened again for the duration of the game.  And the curse that is two or three players surrounding the player in possession. Sometimes its over carrying and sometimes is it a free for the player in possession. No consistency in that at all.

For Derry, Baker and Murphy getting more experience at this level is a good thing.  I'd go so far as to say Murphy's performances had an influence on Toner when he came on.  When Toner got the ball, he turned and headed for goal instead of maintaining possession with an easy backward handpass. Loughlin had a better outing as well.  Cassidy wasn't at his best.

Maybe some Screen bias, but I think that Scullion is the best option to have outside of Lynch.  He hasn't had the opportunity to play much football in the last couple of years due to county commitments.  I think the relegation playoff against Lavey and the final league game against Cork, were the only two games he played between January and July last year.  He played one McKenna group game so far this year, and 15mins yesterday. Aside from one kick out over the sideline (Morgan did that too) and one kick pass that went astray (Lynch did that too) he seemed comfortable in that role.  Don't forget there are some on here who would've liked to see Lynch replaced over that last couple of year.

If Lynch and McKinless are out for a run of games, I'd say McFaul would move to CHB and then a fight for place in the forwards between Emmett Bradley, Declan Cassidy, Niall Toner and Cormac Murphy.  Which is a much better place than we were last year.

Agreed.
Contrary to what some are saying, I don't think Derry are flat out at this stage. They may be starting the majority of the first team, but certainly are not peaking. It felt to me like we never really got out of 2nd gear, then Tyrone came back to within 3 so we stepped it up for 10 mins and pulled clear. I think Derry played as well as they needed to.
I agree on Scullion too. Great game to get some experience in and he acquitted himself well.
The biggest worry is the injuries to key players now.
I'd wrap the 3 of them up in cotton wool now until championship.
We still have McEvoy to come back in - he could do a job at CHB I reckon too.
Lachlan Murray has been named for a couple of games now but got no minutes yet - not sure what the story is there.
We have Emmett Bradley back in contention and Conleith Mcguckin too.
We're developing a strong bench, but we need to use them in games now to prepare for championship rather than throw them in cold.

*EDIT - I forgot about Oisin McWilliams - a real talent as well. Whats the story with his injuries?

yellowcard

Quote from: Mario on February 05, 2024, 10:55:52 AM

There is no way a Div 1 league title is above an Ulster championship. It's not even near it in terms of fan interest, media interest and what it means to the players. Look at Clones last year for Armagh Derry vs the Mayo Galway league final.

It doesn't generate the level of fan or media interest but it's arguable which is the greater achievement. Beating the top teams in the country and lifting a national title at HQ or winning 3 games in a knockout regional competition. I think the Ulster championship is unique and can understand how it might be considered more valued but it has still been greatly diminished by it no longer being linked to the AI series.

Certainly for the likes of Kerry or Dublin, winning a national league title is a far greater achievement than hoovering up easy provincial wins.

5times5times

Quote from: yellowcard on February 05, 2024, 12:37:24 PM
Quote from: Mario on February 05, 2024, 10:55:52 AM

It doesn't generate the level of fan or media interest but it's arguable which is the greater achievement. Beating the top teams in the country and lifting a national title at HQ or winning 3 games in a knockout regional competition. I think the Ulster championship is unique and can understand how it might be considered more valued but it has still been greatly diminished by it no longer being linked to the AI series.

Certainly for the likes of Kerry or Dublin, winning a national league title is a far greater achievement than hoovering up easy provincial wins.

That's because the other teams in Leinster + Munster are an embarrassment, and roll over to both Kerry & Dub.

Ask McGuinness, McGeeney, Harte, Laverty etc if they'd rather win Ulster than their respective divisions.

Maybe one of the worst takes ever on this board. Look at Mayo, homecoming for both recent titles, only to do what Mayo do later in the year.

Maroon Manc

Agreed, not expecting them too stay up but on a positive note the like of Fitzgerald, O'Currain & O'Conghaile are going to get valuable game time at this level they might not have ordinarily got which will hopefully benefit Galway later in the summer. Have my doubts on Mulkerrin but Joyce obviously sees something there and I'll be the first to admit that I didn't see McHugh becoming the player he is so I've been wrong before.

gallsman

Quote from: seafoid on February 05, 2024, 11:46:52 AMConor Glass was interviewed by Marty Morrissey on Radio 1 this morning. He's a great interview as well as everything else.

As long as he's not complaining about the people of Maghera caring more for a fry than an acai bowl.

tonto1888

this made me chuckle

Cunny Funt

With five games to play it looks like three teams (Derry, Mayo and Kerry) are aiming to win the league Dublin might be a 4th if the old guard Fitzsimons, McCarthy, Cluxton,Mannion start to feature in the remaining games.

As for the rest staying up is the prime objective for Monaghan,Roscommon, Tyrone and Galway as all look to get players back and in form before the championship gets up and running.