The Niall McKee fundraiser 5th November 2011

Started by Harold Disgracey, October 19, 2011, 02:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harold Disgracey

On 29th June 2010, my nephew Niall McKee, then aged 20, was involved in an accident at work wherein his left arm became trapped in heavy-duty industrial machinery. It took two hours to free Niall from the machinery. During the subsequent surgery in Craigavon hospital to try to save Niall's arm, the injuries were so extensive it became necessary to amputate his arm 2-3 inches below his shoulder, leaving him with no elbow. It was clear from the outset that the absence of his elbow joint would cause many complications when it came to constructing an artificial limb for Niall.

Niall is a fully trained brick-layer who, due to the downturn in the construction industry, had taken a job in another area of work while hoping to return to his own trade in due course. He had been employed in that new job for just three months when the accident occurred. Niall had two major interests in life, one was building and the other sport. He had always been involved in a range of sporting activities. Sadly, Niall can no longer build and the range of sporting activities in which he can now participate has been much curtailed.

Since his accident, which was a very traumatic experience, Niall's life has changed dramatically. He has had to come to terms with a lot, both physically and mentally. Always very stubborn and determined, Niall has made great progress. At this stage, >12 months after the accident, he has returned to his old job, where the accident took place, and has been working full time again for quite a number of months now. He is aware that others who are in a similar situation may require some encouragement to find this kind of strength within them, and he now helps other young amputees in an effort to pass on some of his inspirational spirit to those struggling to cope.

Although the immediate trauma care provided by the NHS was superb, their resources are very limited when it comes to prosthetics. Unfortunately, it has now become apparent that due to the nature of his amputation, a suitable and functional artificial limb will have to be paid for privately. After watching Niall cope for the past year without the use of his arm, his local club, Derrynoose GAC, have decided to come together with Niall's family to organise a fundraising night in aid of this worthy cause. Therefore, on the 5th of November 2011 a Race Night will be held. The purpose of this event will be to raise funds which will all go towards the purchase of a suitable arm for Niall.

The fundraising preparations for the Race Night involve selling horses, jockeys and trainers (not real ones!) at a cost of £10 each. Anyone who would like to donate will have their contribution acknowledged in the programme for the evening and will be able to name their own horse, jockey or trainer. Our family would be very grateful if you would consider supporting Niall's fundraiser by contributing £10 to buy a horse, jockey or trainer. Donations could be made as individuals contributing £10, or by two or more people coming together to donate £10 in total to buy a horse/jockey/trainer jointly. If you would like to donate, please PM me. Please tell me the name that you would like to give your horse/jockey/trainer and I will take note of all of the details and will pass on all donations. All contributions are being managed by the club who are acting as independent custodians of the funds raised until a suitable artificial limb can be purchased for Niall.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

AZOffaly

Harold, PM me details there. I'll buy a horse no bother. Anyone else want to be a jockey or trainer?

Harold Disgracey

Will do AZ. Just checking with the brother in law about bank details, who to make cheques out to etc.

BTW Niall received a lovely card from Matt Connor last year.

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 19, 2011, 03:18:49 PM
Harold, PM me details there. I'll buy a horse no bother. Anyone else want to be a jockey or trainer?

Aye - count me in as well.

Croí na hÉireann

I'll ride ya. Orangeman can train. There'll be no sparing the whip.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

Send me IMs bucks. And less of the ridin' croi.

orangeman

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 19, 2011, 04:35:12 PM

I'll ride ya. Orangeman can train. There'll be no sparing the whip.

Go easy now Croí.

The new whip rules are in place for this event !  ;)

Throw ball

Should be a good event and a worthy cause. Have family members of Derrynoose so may even give the event a visit myself. Good luck in the fundraising.

Harold Disgracey

Bump.

Thanks to everyone that have contacted me. Should be a good night, they have signed Kilkenny & Tipperary jerseys to auction on the night as well as villa in Spain, a 50" tv and a parachute jump (think I'll buy this!).

There is also going to be a seven's hurling tournament on the day as well I believe.

Thanks again everyone.

AZOffaly

Croi, I got your cheque. Cheers. Orange, are you sending me one too? Harold, I'll pop them in the post ASAP.

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 26, 2011, 08:07:42 PM
Croi, I got your cheque. Cheers. Orange, are you sending me one too? Harold, I'll pop them in the post ASAP.

It's going in the post in the morning AZ -

Anybody else out there joining in a race ??

Harold Disgracey

wherefromreferee?

HD

Have you paypal or something similar set up?  If not, PM the details and I'll fire it in the post.

Best wishes

WFR.
In your Endo!

seafoid

Quote from: orangeman on October 26, 2011, 08:52:15 PM

It's going in the post in the morning AZ -

Anybody else out there joining in a race ??
I sent something.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Croí na hÉireann

Trust ur not gonna jink us by calling the nag Biffos Bollox or something similar.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...