Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 19, 2018, 01:39:19 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 19, 2018, 01:18:05 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 19, 2018, 12:54:11 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 19, 2018, 12:29:40 PM
Quote from: Rawhide on January 18, 2018, 11:50:40 PM
There are some brainless fools on this thread looking rid of a proven winner to replace him with Skoda's, it in the same bracket as the headers on the Tyrone thread looking rid of Harte. As the saying goes, everyone has an opinion and that's why they are worth nothing.

Jose is no Mickey Harte. LVG won a trophy and had a comparable league finish in his last season and no one is saying he should have been kept.

Allegri, Ancellotti, Simeone, Jardim, Pochettino are some other names Stew could have mentioned. Varying degrees of availability I accept but all preferable to park the bus Jose. Maybe they're not as friendly with agents.

We were woeful the last 6 months under LVG, the worst football I've ever likely see at United and after a decent 1st season we'd gone backwards and far too many of the players he bought were not performing.

None of those managers have a record like Mourinho and that goes for Ancelotti too, his league record isn't great. He's won 4 championships and its hard to take notice of 2 of them considering PSG & Bayern are so far clear of the rest of their league.

Hard to argue with most of that bar if it's track record you want we should be getting Fergie back! I know LVG had to go but it was done poorly and he was replaced by a man who is the antithesis of what United used to be and should be about.

And a few things though on Mourinho's record. He has never won the Champions League while managing in the Premier league. The Portuguese league and Italian league are nothing like as competitive and physically demanding as the Premier League. He couldn't win it with a dominant Chelsea or a Real side that have won it twice since he has left (with an inexperienced manager). Jose has a decent CV but for a guy who has been at really top clubs it doesn't hold up to the awe most people have for him when it's scrutinised.

The possibility that he is yesterdays man is a very real one and that's leaving aside parking the bus and his carry on.

Look at Fergie's record in Europe, I think he'll be disappointed not to have won at least one more European Cup. You need a bit of luck in Europe and not neccessarily the nest team win the competition. OVer the last 20 years Real have won more than Barca in Europe whilst Barca have won twice as many league title. Mourinho was very unlucky first time round with Chelsea whilst his Real side were up against one of the greatest sides of all times and he still managed to win a league title with them. Winning with Porto was an incredible achievement and winning with Inter was outstanding given I wouldn't have had them down as contenders at the start of that season.

Mourinho has won 8 domestic league titles, 9 domestic cup and 4 European trophies in about 15 years. That record is phenomenal. You can disagree with his football and his demeneour but certainly not with his CV.

You are right in terms of his achievements, for what he has won he should be heralded as one of the greatest coaches the sport has ever seen. However he will never be loved due to the pragmatic and often defensive football in big games not to mention his bullying and general demeanour off the pitch. I also believe he has never been the same manager since he was forced out of Real and his demeanour has got increasingly dour since then, he has simply not aged well.

NAG1

Quote from: Rawhide on January 19, 2018, 01:43:34 PM
Thank you MM, as I posted earlier, there are some fools on here,

People are falling into this whole good vs evil JM vs Pep narrative.

JM has as good a record as anyone out there, the list of replacements that has been posted on here earlier is a joke. I would not take any of them over JM.

I dont think he has done anything to warrant it in his stint at the club. A couple of pragmatic performances in which if you look back had individual players taken advantage of chances created then these wouldnt even be an issue.

Half way through last season when Sanchez was looking like one of the best players in the league/ Europe had you offered him to United fans they would have taken your arm off. Now because it is JM he is only coming for the money he doesnt care about winning, but when it was City he was going too, he was going to win trophies and further his career.

A lot of this is in the media because of JM, so I wouldnt let my opinions be created by or even swayed by the gutter press.

nrico2006

I'm sick of all this talk of how much it will cost for Sanchez, including wages, agent fees etc. all being added up.  It seems to only happen with United buys, and started when Falcao arrived.  I didn't see Van Dijks fee touted as being made up of the same variables when he joined Liverpool.  I seen a nice comparison ripping out two Matt Law articles where he said how Chelsea had made quite a coup by signing Morata for 'just' £58 million whereas United had signed Sanchez for £180 million.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

magpie seanie

Quote from: Rawhide on January 19, 2018, 01:43:34 PM
Thank you MM, as I posted earlier, there are some fools on here,

So I'm a fool - is that what you're saying?

Minder

Some of you seem to take the media coverage very personally
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

magpie seanie

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 19, 2018, 01:39:19 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 19, 2018, 01:18:05 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 19, 2018, 12:54:11 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 19, 2018, 12:29:40 PM
Quote from: Rawhide on January 18, 2018, 11:50:40 PM
There are some brainless fools on this thread looking rid of a proven winner to replace him with Skoda's, it in the same bracket as the headers on the Tyrone thread looking rid of Harte. As the saying goes, everyone has an opinion and that's why they are worth nothing.

Jose is no Mickey Harte. LVG won a trophy and had a comparable league finish in his last season and no one is saying he should have been kept.

Allegri, Ancellotti, Simeone, Jardim, Pochettino are some other names Stew could have mentioned. Varying degrees of availability I accept but all preferable to park the bus Jose. Maybe they're not as friendly with agents.

We were woeful the last 6 months under LVG, the worst football I've ever likely see at United and after a decent 1st season we'd gone backwards and far too many of the players he bought were not performing.

None of those managers have a record like Mourinho and that goes for Ancelotti too, his league record isn't great. He's won 4 championships and its hard to take notice of 2 of them considering PSG & Bayern are so far clear of the rest of their league.

Hard to argue with most of that bar if it's track record you want we should be getting Fergie back! I know LVG had to go but it was done poorly and he was replaced by a man who is the antithesis of what United used to be and should be about.

And a few things though on Mourinho's record. He has never won the Champions League while managing in the Premier league. The Portuguese league and Italian league are nothing like as competitive and physically demanding as the Premier League. He couldn't win it with a dominant Chelsea or a Real side that have won it twice since he has left (with an inexperienced manager). Jose has a decent CV but for a guy who has been at really top clubs it doesn't hold up to the awe most people have for him when it's scrutinised.

The possibility that he is yesterdays man is a very real one and that's leaving aside parking the bus and his carry on.

Look at Fergie's record in Europe, I think he'll be disappointed not to have won at least one more European Cup. You need a bit of luck in Europe and not neccessarily the nest team win the competition. OVer the last 20 years Real have won more than Barca in Europe whilst Barca have won twice as many league title. Mourinho was very unlucky first time round with Chelsea whilst his Real side were up against one of the greatest sides of all times and he still managed to win a league title with them. Winning with Porto was an incredible achievement and winning with Inter was outstanding given I wouldn't have had them down as contenders at the start of that season.

Mourinho has won 8 domestic league titles, 9 domestic cup and 4 European trophies in about 15 years. That record is phenomenal. You can disagree with his football and his demeneour but certainly not with his CV.

Fergie's record in Europe is one short at minimum of what it should be but as you mentioned before he lost two finals to that great Barca team. Also, for his first 3 or 4 cracks at it he could never play his proper team due to the stupid foreign player rules.

As I mentioned above Mourinho's CV is impressive at top level but if you're discounting titles won with PSG and Bayern for Ancellotti then you can't really be impressed with winning them with Porto or in Italy with the other top clubs recovering from a massive corruption scandal. He left Madrid and Chelsea (twice) in ignominy. You might say he was unlucky not to win the CL with Chelsea but he was lucky beyond belief to win it with Porto, not least against United that season.

He did well to win it with the two sides he won it with but he had the huge advantage of being able to plan all week for the teams he was playing.

We don't agree but at least we can argue the point without resorting to personal abuse and then running away.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Minder on January 19, 2018, 02:28:27 PM
Some of you seem to take the media coverage very personally

I thinks its just mainly magpie and Stews posts they take personally  :o
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Over the Bar

Quote from: stew on January 18, 2018, 08:23:57 PM
Quote from: StGallsGAA on January 18, 2018, 06:13:21 PM
Quote from: stew on January 18, 2018, 02:59:50 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 18, 2018, 09:20:06 AM
"Stabilty". "The right option".

The only reason he's there is to get in high profile players via his relationship with Raiola so that United can make more money on merchandise and sponsorship. It's all revenue driven. The Glazers couldn't give a fcuk if United never won the league or CL.......just keep the bobs rolling in. I'm pretty sure Jose will not win a league or CL with United and frankly until United start winning those trophies again it's a crisis.

Not if the money keeps rolling in, just ask the Glaziers, rumours of a bid from the middle east for United.

The Glaziers arent the problem, the manager is the problem.

Unless the Glazers also have a window fitting company then you're spelling their surname wrong  ;D

That aside,  which manager would you have at the club then?

Pep, Klopp, Del Bosque, Rafa, Rodgers.

Any one of these would do me, I know 2 are ex Liverpol managers and one is the current one, another is the city manager but I would take any of these all day long over the sour faced shithead currently in charge.

3 of the above are /were perennial EPL failure merchants!   ::)

Captain Obvious

Martial the match winner this afternoon.

Milltown Row2

Stubborn Burnely, though in fairness Utd were crap for most parts, bitta magic from the French guys and its game over!

Spurs will thump them next time out if they play anything like that
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

nrico2006

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 20, 2018, 05:42:36 PM
Stubborn Burnely, though in fairness Utd were crap for most parts, bitta magic from the French guys and its game over!

Spurs will thump them next time out if they play anything like that

Heard all that talk before the last United Spurs game.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Cunny Funt

United played better and created double the amount of chances in the drawn Burnley game a few weeks ago, goes to show football is a funny old game.

Over the Bar

Burnley don't lose many at Turf Moor so a good result. 5 clean sheets in row.  Jones playing superbly so inevitable he'll get injured soon.

Minder

Quote from: Over the Bar on January 20, 2018, 06:32:45 PM
Burnley don't lose many at Turf Moor so a good result. 5 clean sheets in row.  Jones playing superbly so inevitable he'll get injured soon.

That's their 5th defeat at home this season
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Cunny Funt

Straight swap deal now by the sounds of it.

Manchester United midfielder Henrikh Mkhitaryan has agreed to join Arsenal, with Alexis Sanchez set to move in the opposite direction in a straight swap.

Armenia international Mkhitaryan, 28, will have a medical on Sunday and Monday after the paperwork for his transfer was completed on Saturday.

The length of his contract at Arsenal, and his salary, is undisclosed.