The WINE thread

Started by CitySlicker11, December 11, 2014, 11:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

playwiththewind1st

Me & Mrs. had a bottle Valpolicella Ripasso earlier. Cotes Du Rhone Villages now, while watching Killing Eve. I honestly don't  think a bottle of red per person, over an entire Saturday night, is particularly excessive.

Taylor

Quote from: Rois on October 20, 2018, 12:48:55 AM
Seriously, Beaujolais - less than £10 most of the time.

Not suitable for the 15% crowd, but you will def like it even if you don't love it.

Saw it but 12% so decided against.

Went for Kelly's Patch merlot. Shite.

What's the difference taste wise or whatever between the different reds?

Milltown Row2

I'm confused about the not drinking anything 12% or under? If I want something with a high alcohol intake I'll drink whiskey..

Wine for me is about enjoying it, not waking up on the settee at 4am or having a hangover..

I personally never look at the alcohol percentage. I don't drink it to get hammered, I'll leave that for a night out with the lads
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

playwiththewind1st

Where do you start? Different grape varieties & even blends; maybe aged in a barrel, or not; styles in different countries (even regions); age. There are so many permutations - i think you just need to try different things, experiment & discover what you like. The worst that can happen is you don't like something & you just don't buy it again.

ONeill

Quote from: Taylor on October 20, 2018, 09:53:18 PM

Not suitable for the 15% crowd, but you will def like it even if you don't love it.

It's not the taste, it's the percentage. You need reds at 14% plus to be worthwhile.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

lurganblue

So far on my trials I have tried a Yellow tail Red Roo (stinkin), Barefoot Merlot (ok) and a Cotes Du Rhone (best so far and the cheapest). South American next i think.

StephenC

Quote from: lurganblue on November 06, 2018, 04:28:55 PM
So far on my trials I have tried a Yellow tail Red Roo (stinkin), Barefoot Merlot (ok) and a Cotes Du Rhone (best so far and the cheapest). South American next i think.

Had a nice Pinotage at the weekend - Abraham and the Heretics. Picked it 100% because of the weird name.

Puckoon

Neither one of those would be bank breakers?

lurganblue

Quote from: Puckoon on November 06, 2018, 09:42:30 PM

No def not. 7 quid or so I think. This is all new enough to me so not jumping in with more expensive stuff just yet.

johnnycool

Quote from: lurganblue on November 06, 2018, 10:59:32 PM

No def not. 7 quid or so I think. This is all new enough to me so not jumping in with more expensive stuff just yet.

Try a Casillero del diablo Cab Sav Chilean yolk  easy enough drank and won't break the bank either.

Worked with a lad who swore by that Chateauneuf De Pap, tried it but didn't really think it was anything special for the extra mulla required for the pleasure but then again I don't have a very sophisticated pallet.

Twas far from red wines and the likes I was reared.

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on November 07, 2018, 09:39:28 AM

Try a Casillero del diablo Cab Sav Chilean yolk  easy enough drank and won't break the bank either.
Worked with a lad who swore by that Chateauneuf De Pap, tried it but didn't really think it was anything special for the extra mulla required for the pleasure but then again I don't have a very sophisticated pallet.

If you don't have a sophisticated pallet, Johnny, you can always change to a new forklift  :o
A palate would be the other thing
Everyone has their own favourites when it comes to wine, I think. My father in law used to love pinot noir.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on November 07, 2018, 10:20:54 AM

If you don't have a sophisticated pallet, Johnny, you can always change to a new forklift  :o
Everyone has their own favourites when it comes to wine, I think. My father in law used to love pinot noir.

As I say seafoid twas far from these fine things such as wine and knowing what a pallet/palate was that I was reared.

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on November 07, 2018, 10:30:40 AM
Quote from: seafoid on November 07, 2018, 10:20:54 AM

As I say seafoid twas far from these fine things such as wine and knowing what a pallet/palate was that I was reared.
I think we all were, in fairness. 
I remember going to a table quiz down in St Thomas' catchment area about 20 years ago and the first prize was a roll of barbed wire
I remember the time I pulled into a shop in Glenamaddy and saw the first ever wine display it had.
Things changed a lot.
Thankfully the hurling and football are still thriving   
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hardy

Quote from: ONeill on October 21, 2018, 10:57:16 PM
Quote from: Taylor on October 20, 2018, 09:53:18 PM

It's not the taste, it's the percentage. You need reds at 14% plus to be worthwhile.

Dead on.