Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

Cyrille Regis aged 59
Careful now

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on January 15, 2018, 07:59:25 AM
Cyrille Regis aged 59

Sorry to hear this - the second member of Ron Atkinson's 'Three Degrees' to pass away, after Laurie Cunningham, which means that only Brendan Batson is now still alive. Check out the video of their 5-3 victory at Old Trafford from December 1978 for one of their finest moments.

I also seem to recall Regis scoring a Goal of the Season contender (not sure if it won the accolade) against Norwich City at the Hawthorns, when he received the ball in midfield with his back to goal, turned his man and raced forward before unleashing an unstoppable shot to the top corner.

May He Rest In Peace.

AZOffaly

That's very sad. A very good friend of mine is a Coventry fan, and I remember in the mid 80s the chant he used to sing incessantly.

"Nice one Cyrille, Nice one son,
Nice one Cyrille, let's have another one"

Billys Boots

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on January 15, 2018, 08:19:58 AM
Cyrille Regis aged 59

Sorry to hear this - the second member of Ron Atkinson's 'Three Degrees' to pass away, after Laurie Cunningham, which means that only Brendan Batson is now still alive. Check out the video of their 5-3 victory at Old Trafford from December 1978 for one of their finest moments.

I also seem to recall Regis scoring a Goal of the Season contender (not sure if it won the accolade) against Norwich City at the Hawthorns, when he received the ball in midfield with his back to goal, turned his man and raced forward before unleashing an unstoppable shot to the top corner.

May He Rest In Peace.

Remember him well, though I thought it Johnny Giles was the manager that brought him on at West Brom.  RIP.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

ziggy90

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 15, 2018, 09:13:45 AM
Cyrille Regis aged 59

May He Rest In Peace.

Remember him well, though I thought it Johnny Giles was the manager that brought him on at West Brom.  RIP.

I think it was Ron Atkinson who brought the "Three Degrees" on at WBA Billy.
I saw Big Cyrille play many times against us, an awesome sight in full flight.
A trailblazer and pioneer and more importantly a thoroughly decent human being.
RIP Cyrille.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

longballin

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 15, 2018, 08:30:05 AM
That's very sad. A very good friend of mine is a Coventry fan, and I remember in the mid 80s the chant he used to sing incessantly.

was that originally for Cyril Knowles of Spurs? Regis was good... very strong. Sad he is gone so young. RIP

Billys Boots

Quote from: ziggy90 on January 15, 2018, 10:12:58 AM
Cyrille Regis aged 59

May He Rest In Peace.

I think it was Ron Atkinson who brought the "Three Degrees" on at WBA Billy.
I saw Big Cyrille play many times against us, an awesome sight in full flight.
A trailblazer and pioneer and more importantly a thoroughly decent human being.
RIP Cyrille.

Rufus mentioned Brendan Batson above as the third member, I thought it was Remi Moses - maybe I'm completely off-kilter here. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Denn Forever

No, it was Remi before he joined that club that should not be spoken of in polite society.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

AQMP

Cyrille Regis aged 59

May He Rest In Peace.

Regis arrived at WBA shortly after Giles had resigned.

AQMP

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 15, 2018, 11:24:43 AM
No, it was Remi before he joined that club that should not be spoken of in polite society.

The "Three Degrees" were Regis, Cunningham and Batson.  Moses came along a few years later

T Fearon

Hopefully it wasn't second degree murder.

Btw it was Justin Fashanu who scored that cracker against Liverpool for Norwich.

longballin

Quote from: T Fearon on January 15, 2018, 02:04:09 PM

Btw it was Justin Fashanu who scored that cracker against Liverpool for Norwich.

aye he took his own life... bound to be a joke in that Tony...

AZOffaly

I don't think that's the goal being described above. That Fashanu goal I remember as he receiving the ball with his back to goal, I think Hanson was marking him. He kind of flicked it up and swivelled and hit it. Into the Kop end I think? Great goal.

I was wrong on 2 counts. It was Carrow Road, and it wasn't Hanson. Looks like maybe Alan Kennedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wk34X94Whk

This is Cyrille Regis' goal v Norwich. Goal of the Season it says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pf0wHuw6AU

AQMP

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 15, 2018, 02:13:03 PM

I don't think that's the goal being described above. That Fashanu goal I remember as he receiving the ball with his back to goal, I think Hanson was marking him. He kind of flicked it up and swivelled and hit it. Into the Kop end I think? Great goal.

I was wrong on 2 counts. It was Carrow Road, and it wasn't Hanson. Looks like maybe Alan Kennedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wk34X94Whk

This is Cyrille Regis' goal v Norwich. Goal of the Season it says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pf0wHuw6AU

Yeah, that was Alan Kennedy.  Liverpool won 5-3.

Avondhu star

Quote from: longballin on January 15, 2018, 10:26:44 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 15, 2018, 08:30:05 AM

was that originally for Cyril Knowles of Spurs? Regis was good... very strong. Sad he is gone so young. RIP

It was originally a song for Cyril Knowles of Spurs and made the Top 20. He died aged 47.
Similar Jim Holton of Man Utd died aged 41.
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you