The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grounded

Quote from: SHEEDY on April 01, 2018, 05:48:10 PM
Leinster look like champions in waiting. Outstanding performances all over the field especially nacewa, ryan, toner and leavy. Serious strength from the bench now as well.

Definitely. A notable mention to The Kiwi James lowe who i thought was fantastic as well. A very astute signing

magpie seanie

Quote from: gallsman on April 01, 2018, 07:05:54 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on April 01, 2018, 07:02:38 PM
Where do Leinster play their semi? Does it have to be at a neutral venue?

Leinster at home.

A "neutral" home venue. Doing a Dubs on it - it's not our home stadium....honest!

AZOffaly

Leinster look frightening. Llanelli won't be able for that, and I don't think Racing 92 or Munster would beat them in Bilbao either.

As for Munster, a very tough task awaits. The thoughts of a team with Donnacha Ryan knocking Munster out is hard to take.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 03, 2018, 02:00:25 PM

Leinster at home.

A "neutral" home venue. Doing a Dubs on it - it's not our home stadium....honest!

Leinster are not allowed play more than 2 Pro14 games in the Aviva, bit of a push to compare them to Dublin. This is an unusual year in that they will manage 4 games there.
#newbridgeornowhere

shark

If Scarlets had lost to La Rochelle, then Leinster would be travelling to France again. Despite winning 6/6 in their group and coming out top seeds. The whole setup for semi finals is bewildering.

An Watcher

semi-final bracket would be set in advance, and that the home team would be designated based on "performances by clubs during the pool stages as well as the achievement of a winning a quarter-final match away from home".

I always thought home advantage for the semi finalists was based on who were the higher seeds after the groups.  First 3 seeds this year were Leinster, Clermont and Munster.  I would have thought Munster would get home advantage in the semis as Clermont were out.  Don't see the reasoning behind this although I'm sure the Irish provinces benefited from this in the past?  Or is this the first year of this?  Can't see the reasoning

shark

Quote from: An Watcher on April 03, 2018, 03:19:47 PM
semi-final bracket would be set in advance, and that the home team would be designated based on "performances by clubs during the pool stages as well as the achievement of a winning a quarter-final match away from home".

I always thought home advantage for the semi finalists was based on who were the higher seeds after the groups.  First 3 seeds this year were Leinster, Clermont and Munster.  I would have thought Munster would get home advantage in the semis as Clermont were out.  Don't see the reasoning behind this although I'm sure the Irish provinces benefited from this in the past?  Or is this the first year of this?  Can't see the reasoning

It's not the first year of it. And I understand the reasoning, but I don't agree with it. Leinster were lucky Scarlets won (as far as Home county advantage goes), but luck shouldn't come in to it. Higher seeds after group stages should have Home advantage, in my opinion.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 03, 2018, 02:23:37 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on April 03, 2018, 02:00:25 PM

Leinster at home.

Leinster are not allowed play more than 2 Pro14 games in the Aviva, bit of a push to compare them to Dublin. This is an unusual year in that they will manage 4 games there.

A little bit of a stretch but not much.

AZOffaly

Ah in fairness, where else could they play?

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 03, 2018, 03:49:21 PM
Ah in fairness, where else could they play?

The Dubs or Leinster?

Tony Baloney

AZOffaly

Dinny Breen

Dublin play 3 maybe 4 games away a year. Every other game league or championship is in CP. That was 10 last year I believe.

Leinster this year will play 4 maybe 5 (Pro14 final) in the Aviva, they will also play 11 games in the RDS and 14 Away games. 

Not remotely close.
#newbridgeornowhere

magpie seanie

Wasn't there some rule about not being able to play a home semi within a certain distance of your actual home ground? Maybe it's gone or maybe I'm imagining it.

In the league Dublin play half their games away. They mostly play at Croke Park in the Leinster championship because the Leinster council (made up of all the counties in Leinster) decide that is how it should be.

Orchard park

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 03, 2018, 03:55:16 PM
Dublin play 3 maybe 4 games away a year. Every other game league or championship is in CP. That was 10 last year I believe.

Leinster this year will play 4 maybe 5 (Pro14 final) in the Aviva, they will also play 11 games in the RDS and 14 Away games. 

Not remotely close.

sure they cant fill the RDS for most games..........