Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

Anyone ever been to Mijas Pueblo on the Costa Del Sol. Snatching four days there next week but purely relying on Trip Adviser reports.

thewobbler

Quote from: bannside on May 01, 2018, 07:20:52 PM
Anyone ever been to Mijas Pueblo on the Costa Del Sol. Snatching four days there next week but purely relying on Trip Adviser reports.

It's fabulous. A wonderful village. About 15 mins from Fuengirola if you prefer more of a beach / strip holiday, but a vibrant place with a proper Spanish flavour.

Stay on the back streets for great food at cheap prices. Head for the views to pay more for less.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: thewobbler on May 01, 2018, 10:08:05 PM
Quote from: bannside on May 01, 2018, 07:20:52 PM

It's fabulous. A wonderful village. About 15 mins from Fuengirola if you prefer more of a beach / strip holiday, but a vibrant place with a proper Spanish flavour.

Stay on the back streets for great food at cheap prices. Head for the views to pay more for less.

Your lucky you're that direction Bannside, there are 18 of us from the club heading to Torremolinos, we'd have ruined it for you  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

The wife and I have had a pretty tough few months, we are going to try and get away for a few weeks in May or start of June and try clear our heads. We love Vegas but we wouldn't be bothered with the long haul flight and it might be too much for us. We probably need to get away and relax. Looking somewhere that is:
- Warm and Sunny
- A nice 4 or 5 star hotel.
- Gym facilities
- Spa or massage close by
- Maybe a town close by to walk around at night and get a meal or ice cream.
- Direct flight from Belfast

I had in my head somewhere like Nice in the South of France but then thats going to be expensive for a few weeks. So maybe somewhere like Canary Islands. Any recommendations?

laceer

The Algarve ticks all those boxes, Jim. Would recommend Vilamoura.

AZOffaly

Quote from: laceer on May 10, 2018, 01:21:09 PM
The Algarve ticks all those boxes, Jim. Would recommend Vilamoura.

Lagos is lovely too. There is a nice place in Porches, near Armecao de Pera,  called Viking Pestana resort which might be perfect.

Rois

You can do Lake Garda now from Belfast - we're going for a week in June.

Also agree that Portugal would be dead handy, and you could do a two-centre by going up from Algarve towards Lisbon - just back from a weekend in a town on the outskirts (Cascais - 40 mins outside by regional train) and it was absolutely beautiful.   

tyrone girl

My boss was there last year Rois said it was beautiful. He highly recommended it.
I think Jim Vilamoura ticks all your boxes from my own personal experience.

The Bearded One

Algarve is a good shout. I have ate here (never stayed) and it was a fantastic place https://www.pinecliffs.com/en/ it is halfway between Albufeira and Villamoura by taxi and a 20 minute stroll from a little fishing village called Olhos de Água which has lots of restaurants and bars.

Our usual accommodation doesn't fit your 4* requirement..!
It is what it is. Presumably.

JimStynes

Cheers everyone. We went to Vilamoura last year and to be honest I didn't really like it. I was sick of the sight of that marina by the end of it. I'm also a hotel snob and our hotel wasn't as good as we thought it would be. I don't mind going to basic hotels if we are travelling around like we do in the Alps, but if we are lying about and relaxing I like something fancy. Sadly Vegas standard hotels don't exist in Europe for the normal working man.

Also, just realised my passport is out of date in sept ffs.

Tony Baloney

Come on now Jim with the "working man" stuff!  :D

AZOffaly

Quote from: JimStynes on May 10, 2018, 04:34:15 PM
Cheers everyone. We went to Vilamoura last year and to be honest I didn't really like it. I was sick of the sight of that marina by the end of it. I'm also a hotel snob and our hotel wasn't as good as we thought it would be. I don't mind going to basic hotels if we are travelling around like we do in the Alps, but if we are lying about and relaxing I like something fancy. Sadly Vegas standard hotels don't exist in Europe for the normal working man.

Also, just realised my passport is out of date in sept ffs.

Take a look at Viking Pestana Resort in Porches. It looks lovely, and the beach at Senhora da Rocha is lovely.

https://www.pestana.com/en/hotel/pestana-viking

JimStynes

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 10, 2018, 04:37:45 PM
Come on now Jim with the "working man" stuff!  :D

Well... working man for half the year.

Milltown Row2

I'm heading to Croatia this year Jim, you might get some decent hotels there. We are booked in a fairly nice apartment on the beach just outside Trogir.. whether it has the spa's gyms you're looking for I don't know but I hear the beaches are stunning, and good hikes around the hills, no doubt there is bike hire also
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 10, 2018, 08:04:13 PM
I'm heading to Croatia this year Jim, you might get some decent hotels there. We are booked in a fairly nice apartment on the beach just outside Trogir.. whether it has the spa's gyms you're looking for I don't know but I hear the beaches are stunning, and good hikes around the hills, no doubt there is bike hire also

Was doing a bit of research and an option is maybe Croatia then onto Montenegro and then back to Croatia. There is a hotel in Montenegro I'd love to stay in:
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g3733792-d6677752-Reviews-Regent_Porto_Montenegro-Tivat_Municipality.html#photos;aggregationId=101&albumid=101&filter=7&ff=277871542