Frank Murphy - Real Person or Comic Book Super-villain?

Started by Syferus, October 24, 2017, 02:02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

With the news that Captain Stroke has decided to continue on as Cork sectrary despite every rumour saying he was shuffling off, I think it's time he had his own thread.

He deserves a book or two to be written about him.

bennydorano

There was a good article in the Sunday Times on him & his supposed shuffling of the stage this year (pushed by clubs), the article pretty much said as the event drew near it looked like him and the Chairman had other ideas & the clubs were expecting a shafting.

magpie seanie

The simple fact is that no full time paid official should have control or power to the extent that a county or provincial secretary does. I believe it has been seriously erroneous for the GAA to allow this to happen - that people who can't be removed have such control. They become perceived as bigger than they are and people become afraid to challenge them because they can't be removed and will have power over decisions relating to your club/county in future. 

That said I personally believe Frank Murphy gets a slightly unfair press. He has done a lot for Cork and his consummate knowledge of the rule book is second to none. Some of the criticisms are of course valid but I think he has become a lightening rod for all the ills in Cork GAA which is a bit of a stretch. I really think he wants Cork to succeed. At the end of the day if enough people want something to happen and they have the bottle to stand up and fight for it, no Frank Murphy can stop it. You'll need to go through the proper channels and comply with the rules but why would you not want to.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

rosnarun

I think this year is  his 'f**k you ill retire when I want' tour
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

mup

I see where the Cork GAA Treasurer won 5k in the Cork GAA draw in September.

Not sure of the rumours of it being Number 11.  ;)