Connacht senior football championship 2017

Started by macdanger2, April 06, 2017, 03:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 03, 2017, 10:35:04 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 03, 2017, 10:26:06 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 03, 2017, 10:22:40 PM
I hope ye all listened to Uncle Seanie and backed NY @ 11/1. They're now 11/4. Anyone with a bit of cop on would realise that those of us who know what's happening in Sligo aren't give to the "yerra poor mouth act". I haven't cashed out and taken my tidy profit yet because the news that Kevin McDonnell is not travelling is seriously bad for us. The other two players mentioned are for me not difference makers. Carew's cribbing in the media and his general ineptitude are worries. Any word on McIntyre or other players?

I think Conor McGraynor has knocked us out of the championship before (for Wicklow). Ross Wherity is seriously talented (cousin of a lad in my club whose is/was also laden with talent but perhaps not the Jimmy McGuinness type dedication required). Tom Cuniffe obviously. There are several more good, recognisable players and of course Vinny Cadden. I genuinely think we're in trouble.

I hope you didn't waste too much money on that pointless bet.

Hang on, I take that back.

As of now my bet is worth 3 times the original stake. You really do not understand the most basic things do you? Are you related to Donald Trump?

Oh, right. You're really rolling in that imaginary money, a bit like the stuff ye tried to pay for Scarden with..

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 03, 2017, 10:50:11 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 02, 2017, 05:43:11 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 02, 2017, 04:59:26 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 02, 2017, 12:01:37 PM
Well lads and lassies it all starts next Sunday night (Irish time) with the annual public service obligation/ junket for officials farce v NY.
Cribbing complaining about the fixture being a week later than usual meaning he can't use the students on his panel.
Any of our Sligo regulars going?
Are ye fearful of a shock?

It was known at the beginning of November that this game would be played May 7th. It's a bit late for Carew to be complaining now.

Exam timetables don't come out until a few weeks beforehand, ladeen..

The general calendar would have though you'd have thought?

It's not so long ago that I don't remember how it works, the academic calendar will usually have a week and a half to two weeks allotted for summer exams but the exact times of the exams can be anything within that window - those lads could easily have had no exam that Monday and been just fine it they fell that way.

It should be also noted before Cunny Funt tries to be glib again that a few weeks before the exams a provisional timetable comes out, but this changes up until nearly the week before exams start.

shark

It's not imaginary money. If he has backed NY at 11/1 and they are now 11/4 then he will be able to hedge both Sligo and the draw and still be guaranteed a profit.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Syferus on May 03, 2017, 10:26:06 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 03, 2017, 10:22:40 PM
I hope ye all listened to Uncle Seanie and backed NY @ 11/1. They're now 11/4. Anyone with a bit of cop on would realise that those of us who know what's happening in Sligo aren't give to the "yerra poor mouth act". I haven't cashed out and taken my tidy profit yet because the news that Kevin McDonnell is not travelling is seriously bad for us. The other two players mentioned are for me not difference makers. Carew's cribbing in the media and his general ineptitude are worries. Any word on McIntyre or other players?

I think Conor McGraynor has knocked us out of the championship before (for Wicklow). Ross Wherity is seriously talented (cousin of a lad in my club whose is/was also laden with talent but perhaps not the Jimmy McGuinness type dedication required). Tom Cuniffe obviously. There are several more good, recognisable players and of course Vinny Cadden. I genuinely think we're in trouble.

I hope you didn't waste too much money on that pointless bet.

Hang on, I take that back.

You know you could have just deleted the sentence?
Hasta la victoria siempre

Syferus

Quote from: shark on May 03, 2017, 11:04:02 PM
It's not imaginary money. If he has backed NY at 11/1 and they are now 11/4 then he will be able to hedge both Sligo and the draw and still be guaranteed a profit.

Read the part I bolded. Thanks.

magpie seanie

Quote from: shark on May 03, 2017, 11:04:02 PM

Exactly.

Generally I bet for fun and sometimes to hedge against the unthinkable. Infrequently and for small amounts. I'd rarely advise people as they may have different objectives, leaning more towards making money. In this case I still believe there's a strong chance of NY winning but regardless - this was good advice because if someone had done as I did they are no in a position to take a guaranteed profit. Taking the cash out option is actually more beneficial than hedging as it happens (unless my calculations are wrong). I may or may not cash out before the game. Sligo may or may not win. What is beyond dispute is that the bet as advised was "pointless". The market has corrected itself from a ridiculous opening position and those wise enough to follow my advice can profit.

GalwayBayBoy

Galway manager Kevin Walsh looks set to be without the services of one of the county's brightest prospects this summer as U21 ace Séan Andy Ó Ceallaigh has seemingly decided to spend the next couple of months Stateside.

The Leitir Móir defender was thought to be in line for a call up to Walsh's squad ahead of the opening round of their Connacht SFC title defence after some phenomenal displays for the Tribesmen in their run to the All-Ireland U21 final, but reports have indicated that he will be spending this summer in the US.   

Last Saturday's final defeat to Dublin saw Ó Ceallaigh put in a mammoth performance at full-back, reducing Dubs danger man Con O'Callaghan to just a goal from play, with Tribe boss Gerry Fahy going as far to brand it "as good a display as I've seen in a Gaelic jersey anywhere".

The praise spread wide for Galway's no 3 after the 2-13 to 2-7 defeat in Tullamore but it looks like Tribe fans will now have to wait until next year before seeing him in a maroon jersey again.

MayoBuck

New York team named:

1. Vinny Cadden (Sligo)

2. Tom Cunniffe (Mayo)
3. David Cunnane (Galway)
4. Peter Witherow (Donegal)

5. Gerard McCartan (Down)
6. David Culhane (Kerry)
7. Keith Quinn (Down)

8. Brian Gallagher (Mayo)
9. Shane Hogan (New York)

10. Danny Sutcliffe (Dublin)
11. Conor McGraynor (Wicklow)
12. Ross Wherity (Donegal)

13. Daniel McKenna (New York)
14. Shane O'Connor (Dublin)
15. Eugene McVerry (Armagh)

Subs

16. Jer O Sullivan
17. Paddy Boyle
18. Ronan McGinley
19. Paul Lambe
20. Eoin Flanagan
21. Keith Scally
22. Kevin Connolly
23. Eoin Ward
24. David Freeman
25. Niall McFeeley
26. Paul McGinley

Syferus

I'm sure it's doing New York GAA the power of good playing a bunch of blow-ins for the summer (well compensated, in most cases) for an exhibition match they're sure to get kicked around in anyways. At least London are trying to build something.

magpie seanie

Quote from: MayoBuck on May 04, 2017, 06:26:45 PM
New York team named:

1. Vinny Cadden (Sligo)

2. Tom Cunniffe (Mayo)

6. David Culhane (Kerry)
7. Keith Quinn (Down)

14. Shane O'Connor

Subs

16. Jer O Sullivan
17. Paddy Boyle
18. Ronan McGinley
19. Paul Lambe
20. Eoin Flanagan
21. Keith Scally
22. Kevin Connolly
23. Eoin Ward
24. David Freeman
25. Niall McFeeley
26. Paul McGinley

Does anyone know - is the Eoin Flanagan listed in the subs there the same lad who played for Sligo the last few years from St Johns?

Blowitupref

New York team named:

1. Vinny Cadden (Sligo)

2. Tom Cunniffe (Mayo)

6. David Culhane (Kerry)
7. Keith Quinn (Down)

14. Shane O’Connor

What county is Shane O Connor from or is he New York born?

Only 4 of that New York team started last year against Roscommon 1,5,7 and 8.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

MayoBuck

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 04, 2017, 08:10:35 PM
New York team named:

1. Vinny Cadden (Sligo)

2. Tom Cunniffe (Mayo)

6. David Culhane (Kerry)
7. Keith Quinn (Down)

14. Shane O'Connor

What county is Shane O Connor from or is he New York born?

Only 4 of that New York team started last year against Roscommon 1,5,7 and 8.

From Dublin I think.

Duine Eile

David Cunnane was on the extended Galway panel the last couple of years, St. Michael's man.

Mano

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 04, 2017, 06:55:58 PM
New York team named:

1. Vinny Cadden (Sligo)

2. Tom Cunniffe (Mayo)

6. David Culhane (Kerry)
7. Keith Quinn (Down)

14. Shane O’Connor

Subs

16. Jer O Sullivan
17. Paddy Boyle
18. Ronan McGinley
19. Paul Lambe
20. Eoin Flanagan
21. Keith Scally
22. Kevin Connolly
23. Eoin Ward
24. David Freeman
25. Niall McFeeley
26. Paul McGinley

Does anyone know - is the Eoin Flanagan listed in the subs there the same lad who played for Sligo the last few years from St Johns?
Yea its Eoin Flanagan from St John's. He can't make the New York team yet has been a starter for Sligo the last number of years.

Blowitupref

Sligo team named.

Aidan Devaney

Ross Donovan, Charlie Harrison, Eoin McHugh

Keelan Cawley, Brendan Egan, John Kelly

Cian Breheny, Adrian McIntyre

Neil Ewing, Mark Breheny, Kyle Cawley

Stephen Coen, Pat Hughes, Adrian Marren

In Donovan,Harrison,Egan,McIntyre,M Breheny,Marren Sligo should be enough experience in that team not to get caught cold and looking at that forward line they should have too much firepower for New York.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

ck

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 05, 2017, 07:19:02 PM
Sligo team named.

Aidan Devaney

Ross Donovan, Charlie Harrison, Eoin McHugh

Keelan Cawley, Brendan Egan, John Kelly

Cian Breheny, Adrian McIntyre

Neil Ewing, Mark Breheny, Kyle Cawley

Stephen Coen, Pat Hughes, Adrian Marren

In Donovan,Harrison,Egan,McIntyre,M Breheny,Marren Sligo should be enough experience in that team not to get caught cold and looking at that forward line they should have too much firepower for New York.

This is a very strong Sligo side. It wont be the team that starts IMO but close to it. I am concerned as the NY side is as strong as Ive seen it but i do think Sligo will squeeze through