Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kickham csc

Anybody who has a background in leadership structures etc, will tell you that the first golden rule in good organizational leadership, is that leadership starts from the top.

In all my time playing for and supporting Antrim, we have never had a good leader, who set out a vision on how Antrim can get to the top, in both hurling and football.

Antrim need a couple of things
1- A clear development structure for our youth. In my mind, this should not be solely focused on development squads but a system where we elevate the standards of all clubs. (Living in the US at the moment, and the NY Redbulls soccer structure is really interesting)
2- As previous posters have identified, a football leadership group, with a clear objectives and budget
3- Stop pandering / discussing players who don't want, or who have demonstrated an inability to give the necessary commitment
4- Schools schools schools, we should be setting an objective that Antrim has top teams in A, B, C,D college grade competitions
5- We need a marketing push to drive pride into Antrim Gaa. How many counties have the following

1- Had repersentatives  in the All Ireland, hurling, football and camogie finals. With 6 senior all Ireland titles
2- Had provided winners of All Ireland club titles in Hurling, football and camogie (all in the last ten years)
3- Won All Ireland U21 football, and beaten finalists a number of years later
4 - Continuously produce All Ireland handball champions
5 - Had players leading Co Derry school teams
etc etc

We have so much to be proud of, but the negative vibes are always allowed to prosper
Nearly all counties have a school system leading the development

bannside

Big shout out to Tony Scullion, a man who took pride in representing his county. Put in the hard yards for the Saffron cause year after year. Great character too - thanks for the memories.

theskull1

Being a tad disingenuous there Bannside in relation to 'hurling men'. Not saying that wouldn't be the opinions held in some quarters but in saying what you've said you're almost implying that the football fraternity in some quarters wouldn't think the same thoughts in relation to hurling?

How do think a hurling man anywhere in the rest of ulster (and even dare I say it South West Antrim) would answer that?

So at least call out all the ugly truths rather than the ones that suit the narrative you want to project.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Gold

Good man Tony Scullion. Made the most of his ability and had serious commitment to the Saffron cause when very few else did.

Great servant, flying machine, hard hitter, line breaker who gave 100%
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

country bumpkin

Agree totally on the comments on Tony Scullion....he is one of a kind and his like will be hard to replace in Saffron....remember him taking a fall from scaffolding a couple of years back and the leg injury incurred required 25 stitches....he was back wearing Saffron just over a week later in championship action.
Tony takes no prisoners on the pitch but he is a true gentleman off it...ask a favour and nothing is a problem
His finest hour in Saffron was his goal against Kerry in the All Ireland quarter final.

bannside

I would say Skull that the vast majority of football men in the county including the SW would have a kind disposition towards our hurlers and wish them well. In contrast I have met hundreds of hurling men - especially from the Glens,  who honestly have no interest whatsoever in the size 5.

In any case I enjoy and support both but my passion  is football. All I would ask for is an equal playing field each year in terms of budget allocation between the two. At the minute there is a huge disparity between the two.

SaffronHeart

I would agree with all of Bannsides sentiments. I also like many others get very emotional at the laughing stock that is Antrim GAA. I do feel there is greater potential for growth in football mainly because of location and playing participation especially in regards to Belfast. However Antrim has enough players to prosper in both. The only people letting the county down is ourselves we all need to do something. The reason these guys are in these positions is no one often stands against them, I would love if an ex county player either code would stand for the county chairmanship to try effect real change.

theskull1

Are these glensmen a wile lot different than the majority of ulster gaa folk in relation to hurling Bannside? Your painting a rosy picture IMO.

Clubs with limited resources don't want to encourage the development of games which might affect what they currently do. Some see the money aspect , some the spreading thin of coaches to cater for it and others players getting spread thin and the potential for mediocrity in both to come about. All valid concerns though with the right will not insurmountable . People in the GAA will try and do things for the right reason but the "right reason" is different depending on what club your in or where your loyalties are . 

In Ulster I'm sure many GAA folk like to watch the AI hurling matches but that doesn't mean they theyd be up for it becoming strong in their own back yard

theskull1

In regard to having no interest in the size 5 whatsoever

As a dual player myself I always enjoyed playing . Watching is becoming harder and harder for more than just me as more and more teams play drawn out percentage passing.   

bannside

You're right there Skull. Majority of Ulster Gaels don't care enough about hurling. A real pity because it is a cracking sport, probably the best in the world.

But back to Antrim I have seen for myself a very important question being put to club delegates at a county committee about a football management position and needing a show of hands for or against. Very few people put their hands up on support of the recommendation yet it was approved. I enquired as to how this could happen to be told the hurling people in the room didn't care enough to vote either way. Unbelievable except I saw it for myself. That's at least 50% or more who are in a position to vote on these important football matters who couldn't care less. Which is why we need a football board to make these calls.

theskull1

Quote from: bannside on July 08, 2015, 09:55:50 PM
I enquired as to how this could happen to be told the hurling people in the room didn't care enough to vote either way. Unbelievable except I saw it for myself. That's at least 50% or more who are in a position to vote on these important football matters who couldn't care less. Which is why we need a football board to make these calls.

Hardly unbelieveable. Its OK to not have an opinion at times and rather than voting randomly and skewing the vote is it not better that they abstain and leave those who do care to carry the decision?

themac_23

Personally i would like to see two sub committees, one football and hurling. both made up of people who have that as their passion so football men looking after football and hurling men looking after hurling. Each is responsible for their own budget and fundraising. If the footballers want to go all out and get a big name then by all means go for it, making up the rest of funding required from where they feel they can. i believe galway may have, or did have a similar set up where it even went as far as the hurlers and footballers having different sponsors? i know everyone talks about being as one in a county but really those days are gone, the games are going in different directions and getting more professional therefore it is only logic that more people are required.

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: theskull1 on July 08, 2015, 11:20:56 PM
Quote from: bannside on July 08, 2015, 09:55:50 PM
I enquired as to how this could happen to be told the hurling people in the room didn't care enough to vote either way. Unbelievable except I saw it for myself. That's at least 50% or more who are in a position to vote on these important football matters who couldn't care less. Which is why we need a football board to make these calls.

Hardly unbelieveable. Its OK to not have an opinion at times and rather than voting randomly and skewing the vote is it not better that they abstain and leave those who do care to carry the decision?
That's my view on it too. No point in voting for something if you don't have a clue in what you are voting for.

theskull1

Quote from: themac_23 on July 09, 2015, 11:19:41 AM
Personally i would like to see two sub committees, one football and hurling. both made up of people who have that as their passion so football men looking after football and hurling men looking after hurling. Each is responsible for their own budget and fundraising. If the footballers want to go all out and get a big name then by all means go for it, making up the rest of funding required from where they feel they can. i believe galway may have, or did have a similar set up where it even went as far as the hurlers and footballers having different sponsors? i know everyone talks about being as one in a county but really those days are gone, the games are going in different directions and getting more professional therefore it is only logic that more people are required.

Not sure how separate hurling and football is throughout clubs in Galway. Two sub committee would only work as long as any of the positive initiatives from each of them weren't tripping over the top of the others. That would happen in a county with a lot of dual clubs/players. Antrim has alot of dual players. One perspective is that as a county we should be very proud of that fact but no doubt its a tough life for a senior player playing both these days if both codes are trying to 'acheive'. Football only and hurling only people mightn't be happy with that reality (and I can see the reasons why) but its a reality none the less. Any plans to change things need to be grounded in the reality of where we're at currently.

Mhic Easmuint