The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rufus T Firefly

Managed to get a live feed on my phone from French TV (I think) and I'd have to say some of the football that Leeds played was brilliant. One touch possession game that saw us keep the ball for what seemed like ages and play through the Spurs midfield and defence. Ultimately though we were done by our Achilles heel, with the defence shipping two goals in as many minutes. The January transfer window is huge and there needs to be strengthening at left back. That would free Striujk to play in the centre. Both Cooper and Llorente are not at this standard. A striker would also be great to bring in but Summerville is playing brilliant stuff and scoring goals, whilst Rodrigo is playing like a Spanish international at the moment - long may it continue.

Incidentally, the decision of VAR not to ask the ref to review the challenge on Meslier for the first goal has almost universally been challenged by all pundits I have heard / read. I'm open to correction here, but I understand the VAR official was the same one who intervened in the home match against Arsenal to review Bamford's goal for a nudge on the defender. The official was Paul Tierney. Inconsistency is bad, but when it comes from one person and goes against you both times, it begs a lot of questions.   

seafoid

Losing 4-3 to Spurs ain't too shabby. Leeds are not expected to be relegated.

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/relegation

They probably won't repeat last season's escapades before Marsch took over.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Mourne Rover

Even if most Leeds fans are pleased to see Marsch go, he definitely deserves some sympathy as he was frequently unfortunate on some big occasions. However, a manager who appears to suffer from repeated bad luck will always be on borrowed time, and only four wins from his 20 league games this season, with none in the last seven, was relegation form. He had looked a haunted figure for a while, and it might have made more sense to let him go before the World Cup break and allow a new manager to enter the transfer market rather than work with Marsch's squad. The back to back matches against Man Utd this week do not tend to provide us with many points, so the next two fixtures, away to Everton and home to Southampton will be crucial.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Mourne Rover on February 06, 2023, 10:07:48 PM
Even if most Leeds fans are pleased to see Marsch go, he definitely deserves some sympathy as he was frequently unfortunate on some big occasions. However, a manager who appears to suffer from repeated bad luck will always be on borrowed time, and only four wins from his 20 league games this season, with none in the last seven, was relegation form. He had looked a haunted figure for a while, and it might have made more sense to let him go before the World Cup break and allow a new manager to enter the transfer market rather than work with Marsch's squad. The back to back matches against Man Utd this week do not tend to provide us with many points, so the next two fixtures, away to Everton and home to Southampton will be crucial.

Good summary, MR. I'm normally not one for joining the 'Get the Manager Out' lynch mob, but after Sunday, it seemed obvious there was a need for a change, which was a wee bit of a pity as he always come across as a very decent individual - one quality unfortunately that was of limited use in his predicament.

There have been various names bandied about. Postecoglu at Celtic apparently has been on the radar, but even if he was interested, having Kewell in his backroom team will be a major issue for the fans. Corboran was also getting mentioned, but West Brom moved quickly and signed him up to an extended contract, effectively ruling him out.

The front runners as of this morning appear to be Andoni Iraola of Rayo Vallecano and Arne Slot of Feyenoord, whose name seemed to be gathering momentum last night. The third - seen as a bit of an outsider of the three - is former River Plate coach, Marcelo Gallardo.

All three seem like good appointments, fingers crossed. 

Rufus T Firefly

A point last night that I'd have taken before the game, but having established a two goal lead, there is a sense of what might have been.

Could only see short periods of the match, but by all accounts there seemed to be better organisation about Leeds that made them more difficult to break down. That was underpinned by some outstanding individual performances - particularly Ayling, Meslier and Gnonto.

Sinisterra is likely to be out for a while and Striujk might be a doubt for Sunday, as he appeared to suffer concussion. Gnonto also received a fair few hits and went down at least once, so hopefully he will be available for the weekend when we'll be definitely up against it again. The Everton and Southampton games though loom large beyond that and the importance of them cannot be overstated. 

Mourne Rover

The two games coming up away to Everton and at home to Southampton in the space of a week are completely vital and will probably decide whether Leeds are capable of staying up. We basically have to win one of them, as matches between the sides at the bottom are always six pointers and we have a particularly tough run in to negotiate. Today largely summed up our season as a decent performance and a string of chances ended in another defeat. It looks as though Alfred Schreuder, an experienced coach with an unremarkable recent record, is going to be our new manager, although he was plainly not the first choice for the post. His main priority will need to be the attack, as, with Rodrigo injured, Bamford has been off the pace and Rutter, despite costing over £30m, has yet to convince. These are nervous times for all Leeds fans.

Rufus T Firefly

Agreed MR with your assessment of yesterday's game. The difference between us and the top teams is the potency of our attack. Man United I felt would take at least one chance on offer, but I always felt our players would struggle, and so it proved. That match can be added to a long list of similar games where we haven't taken our chances and have been made to pay.

There is a need to have a managerial appointment in place as soon as possible and the fact that we are not likely to get our first (or second or event third) choice is not a good look at a time of critical importance. Reports suggested Andoni Iraola was very keen on Leeds but Rayo Vallacano were not prepared to authorise it. I know little of Alfred Schreuder, although feedback on Twitter would suggest his recent record is not without concerns.

We need to start picking up points and quickly, s whoever gets it will need to hit the ground running. 

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/2023/02/13/leeds-target-interim-manager-after-move-for-andoni-iraola-fails/

Foremost on that list is Iraola, but Leeds are close to accepting he cannot be prised away until June at the earliest. With the much-admired Marcelo Gallardo, who left River Plate last October, also unwilling to join a club during a campaign, Leeds have turned their attention to potential interim managers capable of rescuing the team from relegation.

Rufus T Firefly

I didn't see the match on Saturday, but I've read enough to know that it was a poverty stricken performance. For the first time I'd have to say that I felt that we are likely to go down, and certainly will if the management situation is not addressed quickly. Football can be fickle. With a wee bit of luck, we could have got more than the point we did claim from the two matches against Manure and there would have been plenty of reason to be upbeat. The nature of Saturday's performance suggested that morale was rock bottom.

The only part of the game I did see was the Everton goal, which was an absolutely shocking error by Meslier. I read a lot about how poor Bamford was and I'd suggest time is running out for him. He has been awful and Harrison is not much better.

I think there are now gambles to be taken at the top. The first is an experienced manager and yes, I'd include Big Sam in that, given the desperation of the situation. I'd also hope that management give Rutter a fair crack at it - we need goals urgently and we're not getting them from what is there. Why not give the £35 million man a chance

I subscribe to the Athletic and follow Phil Hay, on there, and a recurring theme of his articles has been that the Board firmly believe that we have the players to stay up and that we just need the right manager in place to channel the collective effort. I'm afraid that they have more faith in the panel than I have. I fear for the future.

Mourne Rover

It is difficult not to share the pessimism expressed by Rufus as the Leeds season rapidly implodes. Everton were little better than Leeds on Saturday, and a nil-nil looked almost certain until Meslier's terrible blunder. However, a team that is struggling at the back, ineffective in midfield and cannot score goals is only going in one direction. Bamford has completely lost his way but Rutter, on the basis of his appearances off the bench, does not yet look up to the pace of the premiership. It would of course only take one goal to start a recovery, and it would really need to come against Southampton this weekend. A new manager would also be a big help as the directors have made a shocking mess of filling the vacancy. They presumably felt they had a candidate lined up only for him to change his mind, probably over money, but it will need to be sorted out as soon as possible.

seafoid

Surely Leeds will get a new manager bounce . 2 points out of the last 5 games is hardly going to be repeated .

Rufus T Firefly

I see Javi Gracia, former Watford and Valencia manager, is now the front runner in a two horse race with an as yet unknown competitor, although there are whispers it might be Rafa Benitez. A new man is needed urgently.

Rufus T Firefly

The confirmed appointment of Gracia expected this morning.