Dublin v Kerry AI final 20th September 2015

Started by orangeman, September 05, 2015, 06:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Zulu, don't disagree with you, but Fermanagh have a pick of only about 300 senior club players, and came away with their heads held high. Some of the better resourced Leinster counties should stop looking enviously and scared at Dublin, and instead try giving them a game.

seafoid

Quote from: thejuice on September 20, 2015, 08:27:58 PM
Kerry looked a bit clueless and getting effective ball into their forwards was problematic all day due to the weather but also the Dublin backs were so dominant.

Cooper was largely absent, and bringing in Donaghy seemed like an act of desperation which would embarrass the Kerry teams on the past.

Dublin are a different beast to all others at the minute. They might slip up from time to time but they'll have another two of the next four titles.

Unless someone pumps a load of money and coaches into some other county in Leinster, they'll probably win the next five at least.
That is depressing

Brolly had a good article in the Sindo today about this problem
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/joe-brolly-dream-final-dublin-and-kerry-bask-in-the-sun-while-the-rest-of-us-shiver-31541479.html

Zulu

Quote from: thewobbler on September 20, 2015, 09:10:39 PM
Zulu, don't disagree with you, but Fermanagh have a pick of only about 300 senior club players, and came away with their heads held high. Some of the better resourced Leinster counties should stop looking enviously and scared at Dublin, and instead try giving them a game.

Fair point.

From the Bunker

There is a lot of myth with the Fermanagh result v Dublin. 2.03 was gifted near the end by a Dublin team playing in third gear. Fair dues to Fermanagh, but in fairness the scoreline at the end was a bit complimentary to them. Now don't get me wrong they did quite well for a county of their size.

thejuice

Sadly Meath teams don't get standing ovations for losing by 8 points.

We've given the dubs plenty of tough games over the last ten years but have only one win to show for it. They've moved up a few levels since and we're just about the same level as we were 5 or 6 years ago.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 20, 2015, 09:54:46 PM
There is a lot of myth with the Fermanagh result v Dublin. 2.03 was gifted near the end by a Dublin team playing in third gear. Fair dues to Fermanagh, but in fairness the scoreline at the end was a bit complimentary to them. Now don't get me wrong they did quite well for a county of their size.

Femanagh don't play like a small county team. They showed the confidence in their ability that other counties who faced Dublin and have far more resources at hand never did. Dublin can be a beautiful team but boy did they win this year's AI with ugly performances. They won't mind but for the sake of the game we need to make the championship a fairer proposition. This year was brutal.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

macdanger2

If Killian Young had a little more composure, Kerry could have done a smash and grab

ashman

The key difference is pace.  Dublin had an advantage in pace in most match ups.  Also they are much better conditioned than any GAA team ever. 

Dublin are a well oiled machine , well funded and are going no where soon.  To be honest bar ulster the provincial championships are going to he a damp squid for a while to come. 

Canalman

Wahoo. Honoured to be there to see us bt  Kerry x 3. Still drying out, just  like 1994 but with the win this time.

In the wet, the best football and hurling team always wins. Feel a bit cheated it wasnt dry today as I think we would have won by 10 plus. Butchered some goal chances today.

Amazed Cooper wasn't subbed after 25 minutes .  Game was up when Galvin came in towards the end.

Big pressure on us next year to win the centenary AI.

Have to give credit to Kerry fans post game. Very gracious in defeat.

Mayo imo by far the best team we played this year. 

Gmac

Pace of Dublin killed Kerry , I thought Darren o sullivan created a few problems for Dublin because they had to stand off him a bit in case he carried the ball at them which was about the only way Kerry might have got through them ,carry straight at them and win a few frees or get someone carded .
kerry bench not as good as made out to be and I can't believe Kerry went down really without showing anything or were Dublin that much better

ashman

Dublin are a clinical corporate entity now.  They are well ahead of the pack now.  AIG dosh , Dcu on doorstep etc. 

highorlow

QuoteI'd have Dublin by 6 or 7 up to late last week but the injury concerns require a re-think. Dublin will sneak it.

Dublin should have won this by the 6 or 7 and at the same time it could have been a draw if Kerry took that late goal chance. I took the evens on offer on Dublin yesterday morning [massive price considering the price the Dubs were all year].

That last ten minutes before half time was the winning of the game and things just went right for the Dubs at that time, an intercept for a point and a fumbled point by Brogan (by the way for that Brogan point Kilkenny was pulling his man back and that could easily have been a free out). A pretty classy shot by McMahon which was more often than not a 2/1 chance of going over, it went over and everything was going right for the Dubs.

The Dublin bench were massive again, Small, MacCauley, MacMenniman and Fitzsimons all added to the play.

The ten minutes prior to that Kerry owned the ball but made bad use of it, this will frustrate them. They are a better team than they showed yesterday and if Darren O'Sullivan had started and Marc O'Shea was fit it could have been different.

All in all it wasn't a great championship. Our lads are as good as what's in it but we do need the stars to align for us to get over the line. That will happen soon, I've no doubt about it.

Congrats to the Dubs and the Dubs posters here. Hope the team spend the year in Coppers, they deserve that much.

QuoteDublin are a clinical corporate entity now.  They are well ahead of the pack now.  AIG dosh , Dcu on doorstep etc

You don't hear this bull shit when it comes to the Kilkenny hurlers. The Dubs still have the best players / squad in the country.

p.s. Our own posters should give the Fitzmaurice tactics slagging a bit of a rest. It's a bit rich coming from our lads.

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Bingo

Disappointing game, even taking into account the conditions and the occasion it never really got going.

Kerrys good spell in the first half when they hit a string of wides hurt them, Dublin then got on top and made it count. Small things change games on a day like that and one of these was the point that brogan got when the ball seemed to stuck in human pinball mode and it eventually bounced to a free brogan and he slotted over the bar on a flash.

Defensively Dublin where brilliant, no fouling (or fouling in the right places) and total commitment. Was very interesting to watch how McMahon ran Cooper round the field, as soon as Dublin won possession he took off and ran hard down beyond the Dublin half forward line, then he played like a half forward and worked himself round the pitch taking and receiving possession. Copper was run ragged. I wonder in hindsight would Dublin let him run and leave copper at home to try and punish him. Without a sweeper at home for Kerry this probably wasn't an option.

Haven't seen it mentioned but with about 8 mins remaining, Donaghy came out for a ball and from my spot it looked like O'Carroll pushed him in the air as Donaghy rose to fetch it. It was a very easy free to narrow the gap but a minutes later Dublin broke and scored. Don't think it was the point that Brogan took about 8 steps but the one before that. Was a huge appeal for the foul on Donaghy from the crowd, not sure if it looked as obvious on the TV.

Killian Young hardly slept well last night but he still had some work to do at that stage, was as close as Kerry came to a goal all day.

Dublin very clear winners on the day overall.

God bless Elverys shop at the back of the Hogan who produced a big box of Panchos at about 3.15 yesterday, would have more soaked only for them.

vallankumous

Cracking stuff. Thought it was a.great championship all round.