RTE on Freeview

Started by Lazer, December 13, 2010, 11:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J OGorman

Quote from: FermGael on September 14, 2011, 02:37:04 PM
I have Bt Vision and have also been able to pick up rte digital
Noticed last week that for some of the rte programmes there was a HD logo displayed beside the channel name in the top right hand corner when the programme was on.
does this mean i am receiving these stations in HD??

will only be rte 2 in HD FG

theskull1

FTA DVB-S2 transmissions of RTE channels are being transmitted using the Irish spot beam and can be received in Northern Ireland or the Irish Republic using an 80cm antenna.

You'll need an HD receiver to decode MPEG-4 and DVB-S2, and most importantly, a Ka-band LNB able to pick up the higher-frequency circular-polarised transmissions.

I know that this hasn't been officially launched but I was wondering if any experts might dymistify the above for me

My plasma (with freesat tuner) supports MPEG4 and DVB-S, so I'm guessing I would need

A new freesat set top box?
A Ka Band LNB

Do I just need to add the new LNB along with my current Ku one and run a separate cable down for the Saorsat signal?

Any help appreciated

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: J OGorman on September 14, 2011, 02:52:58 PM
Quote from: FermGael on September 14, 2011, 02:37:04 PM
I have Bt Vision and have also been able to pick up rte digital
Noticed last week that for some of the rte programmes there was a HD logo displayed beside the channel name in the top right hand corner when the programme was on.
does this mean i am receiving these stations in HD??

will only be rte 2 in HD FG

As JOG says, only RTE2 is being broadcast in HD at the moment, if you are receiving this channel then your tv has a MPEG4 tuner and you are sorted for saorView. The other channels in HD will come on stream when the second multiplexer is launched (supposed to be shortly but that doesn't mean anything with RTENL) and when they are offered by the broadcaster. Most of the stuff on RTE2 HD is upscaled, i.e. instead of your HD telly upscaling the content to 1080i, RTE are upscaling and then broadcasting it. A good way to tell if the content was originally filmed in HD (apart from relying on the 2 holes in your head) is to check to see if there is a vertical line to the right of the RTE TWO HD logo or DOG.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: theskull1 on September 14, 2011, 08:02:03 PM
FTA DVB-S2 transmissions of RTE channels are being transmitted using the Irish spot beam and can be received in Northern Ireland or the Irish Republic using an 80cm antenna.

You'll need an HD receiver to decode MPEG-4 and DVB-S2, and most importantly, a Ka-band LNB able to pick up the higher-frequency circular-polarised transmissions.

I know that this hasn't been officially launched but I was wondering if any experts might dymistify the above for me

My plasma (with freesat tuner) supports MPEG4 and DVB-S, so I'm guessing I would need

A Ka Band LNB

Do I just need to add the new LNB along with my current Ku one and run a separate cable down for the Saorsat signal?

Any help appreciated

freeSat is the UK service, what they are referring to there is saorSat, the Irish satellite service. I'm not too well versed on saorSat but I do know you need a different dish pointed in a different direction to the one used for freeSat and Sky (both are these are interchangeable).

Ulick

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 15, 2011, 05:06:58 PM

A Ka Band LNB

Any help appreciated

freeSat is the UK service, what they are referring to there is saorSat, the Irish satellite service. I'm not too well versed on saorSat but I do know you need a different dish pointed in a different direction to the one used for freeSat and Sky (both are these are interchangeable).

Not quite. I'm planning to build my own dish as I'm in a reception black-spot in the north. The way I understand it you could install two LNBs into the same dish, one for SaorSat and one for the others. A DVB-S2 receiver should then be the only thing needed to decode the signal for the telly. What I'm holding out for is clear information on the required LNB. The information I can gather has said "at least" a Ka Band LNB is required but I haven't been able to source one yet that specifically says it is suitable for SaorSat. Read somewhere a while back that loads have been ordered from Asia but haven't arrived in the country yet.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Ulick on September 15, 2011, 05:21:02 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 15, 2011, 05:06:58 PM

A Ka Band LNB

Any help appreciated

Not quite. I'm planning to build my own dish as I'm in a reception black-spot in the north. The way I understand it you could install two LNBs into the same dish, one for SaorSat and one for the others. A DVB-S2 receiver should then be the only thing needed to decode the signal for the telly. What I'm holding out for is clear information on the required LNB. The information I can gather has said "at least" a Ka Band LNB is required but I haven't been able to source one yet that specifically says it is suitable for SaorSat. Read somewhere a while back that loads have been ordered from Asia but haven't arrived in the country yet.

I think we are in agreement Ulick, I was pointing out that an existing freeSat/Sky dish (these are typically 65cm) would not double up as a satellite to receive saorSat. A quick search revealed this on http://www.techtir.ie/saortv/saorsat "Receiving Sky/Freesat and Saorsat will need either a special dual feed 80cm dish or a 2nd Saorsat dish on existing Sky/Freesat systems" Fair play if you're gonna build one yourself.

Another snippet I found that may be of interest to skull is that a DVB-S2 tuner is needed, a DVB-S tuner will not work, check your spec skull.

theskull1

DVB-S Croí, so I'll require a separate tuner as well. Might be the opertunity to get a PVR

Good info guys. I'm going to stick it out until tried and tested offerings are available at a decent price.

Cheers
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Nally Stand

Quote from: clarshack on September 14, 2011, 10:55:21 AM
I have 2 tvs in house with built in freeview and both are unable to pick up the southern channels. I looked at the saorview coverage map and my area is covered in red which means i shouldnt be able to pick up the signal. however my brother who lives down the road was able to pick it up with the built in freeview on his tv.

anyway i did a bit more research and found out that the technika hd box (model: STBHDIS2010) currently on sale at £30 in tesco would be able to pick it up. therefore i went and bought it yesterday (had to buy a separate hdmi lead though) and lo and behold it picked up the southern channels right away including rte2 hd. so now i can look forward to watching the all-ireland final in hd on sunday  :)

Took your advice and bought that freeview box. It wouldn't switch on when I set it up and after some research, found out I had to download a firmware update for it and install it via usb. All well and good, I tuned it in and just my luck, unlike every other freeview box I've ever used, it does pick up the southern channels perfectly. Unfortunately, also unlike other freeview boxes, it won't pick up anything else!! Any tech whizzkids on here fit to tell me how I could get all the other freeview channels tuned in now too? (bbc, itv, e4, dave etc etc etc)??
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Nally Stand

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 21, 2011, 10:43:49 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on September 21, 2011, 08:21:45 PM
Quote from: clarshack on September 14, 2011, 10:55:21 AM
I have 2 tvs in house with built in freeview and both are unable to pick up the southern channels. I looked at the saorview coverage map and my area is covered in red which means i shouldnt be able to pick up the signal. however my brother who lives down the road was able to pick it up with the built in freeview on his tv.

anyway i did a bit more research and found out that the technika hd box (model: STBHDIS2010) currently on sale at £30 in tesco would be able to pick it up. therefore i went and bought it yesterday (had to buy a separate hdmi lead though) and lo and behold it picked up the southern channels right away including rte2 hd. so now i can look forward to watching the all-ireland final in hd on sunday  :)

Took your advice and bought that freeview box. It wouldn't switch on when I set it up and after some research, found out I had to download a firmware update for it and install it via usb. All well and good, I tuned it in and just my luck, unlike every other freeview box I've ever used, it does pick up the southern channels perfectly. Unfortunately, also unlike other freeview boxes, it won't pick up anything else!! Any tech whizzkids on here fit to tell me how I could get all the other freeview channels tuned in now too? (bbc, itv, e4, dave etc etc etc)??
Check to see if there are any channels from 800 upwards, 900 on some receivers.

I just did the auto channel tuning option and it picked up the southern channels only and they seem to be all in the 800 or so range if my memory serves me right (Im away from the house at the minute). I've no idea about the technical end of things but tried the usual tried and trusted methods of turning it off and on again and re-tuning. Very frustrating that the one freeview box I get that actually picks up RTÉ channels cannot pick up anything else  :-\

Can anything be done do you know Fionntamhnach? Looked a the manual tuning part earlier too but there doesn't appear to be any solutions jumping out at me.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

armaghniac

Did you set a country setting somewhere? This might affect the auto selection.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Nally Stand

Quote from: armaghniac on September 21, 2011, 11:22:36 PM
Did you set a country setting somewhere? This might affect the auto selection.

No I wasn't prompted at any stage to do so and couldn't find a menu for it either. Technology can be an awful pain in the hole when it wants to be.

NAG1

OK guys I know this is strictly not an RTE on freeview question but I will get there. I currently have BT vision in and have no RTE through that I am going to put up a new aerial to boost the strength of the signal as is.

I have a splitter in the roofspace and used to use the sky to send signal to the splitter and then around the various rooms. I have been unable to do this with the BT boc? Is it doable?

When I have the new aerial in place will I be able to get the RTE signal through the BT vision box or on freeview which is on the TV?

Nally Stand

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 22, 2011, 02:55:45 PM
You might have to try manual tuning on the STB. Tune in to one of the RTÉ channels, then go into the menu and look for something like "Manual Tuning" or "Manual Installation" rather than an Automatic option. When you get into the manual tuning screen you'll probably seen a signal strength and signal quality meter, maybe a network ID (for Saorview this will be RTÉNL) and a channel number or frequency. This should be 53. Change this number to 30 and wait a few seconds to see the strength and quality metres change and if a network ID is available it should say Northern Ireland. If there is a decent signal, select the option then to scan for programmes or channels - this should give you most of the BBC TV channels (BBC1, BBC2, CBBC, BBC3, BBC News and a few others). If this is done successfully, you'll need to repeat the manual scan for the following channel number or frequency - 23, 26, 29, 33 and 34. If there is no signal on 30, try 29 instead. IF that works in saving some BBC channels, then repeat the process with 23, 26, 33, 34 and 48.

Thanks Fionntamhnach, I'll give that a rattle this evening and report back. Much appreciated.

NAG1

Cheers for that Fionntamchnach

Nally Stand

Quote from: Nally Stand on September 22, 2011, 03:05:07 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on September 22, 2011, 02:55:45 PM
You might have to try manual tuning on the STB. Tune in to one of the RTÉ channels, then go into the menu and look for something like "Manual Tuning" or "Manual Installation" rather than an Automatic option. When you get into the manual tuning screen you'll probably seen a signal strength and signal quality meter, maybe a network ID (for Saorview this will be RTÉNL) and a channel number or frequency. This should be 53. Change this number to 30 and wait a few seconds to see the strength and quality metres change and if a network ID is available it should say Northern Ireland. If there is a decent signal, select the option then to scan for programmes or channels - this should give you most of the BBC TV channels (BBC1, BBC2, CBBC, BBC3, BBC News and a few others). If this is done successfully, you'll need to repeat the manual scan for the following channel number or frequency - 23, 26, 29, 33 and 34. If there is no signal on 30, try 29 instead. IF that works in saving some BBC channels, then repeat the process with 23, 26, 33, 34 and 48.

Thanks Fionntamhnach, I'll give that a rattle this evening and report back. Much appreciated.

Unfortunately it's not working out Fionntamhnach. Tried channels 29 and 30 as a start and getting 0% for signal and quality. Seems to be the case for every channel other than 53.