FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 04, 2010, 04:52:02 PM
I cant believe the grief robbie keane gets on here - he may not be the force he was but he is most definately worth his place on that team! Its not as if we are blessed with loads of top strikers to replace him!

Well I can't believe people don't see what I see. He's worth his place on the team for the reason you outline. I just wish he'd try a bit harder and be a bit braver and more honest. Anyway, I'd better stop or he might read this and go crying on the Late Late show again.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: ross4life on September 04, 2010, 05:13:15 PM
I wasn't keeping up to date but can someone tell me why these international games were all played on Friday instead of Saturday?

So players can get back to their clubs a day earlier ahead of the weekend club games I think,games are now on Friday's and Tuesday's
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Main Street

Quote from: Boycey on September 04, 2010, 04:54:30 PM
Quote from: Main Street on September 04, 2010, 04:40:26 PM
Quote from: GBXII on September 04, 2010, 12:49:36 PM
Green is getting away way too softly here, he was absolutely rubbish. A terrible first half followed by a slightly improved second half. Definitely should have been substitued for Gibson early in the second half but I can only assume Trap didn't want to ruin his confidence.
Assume all you want but Trap was not shy to substitute Keogh in Italy after 25 minutes. If Trap felt he had to substitute Green he would have done so without the slightest regard for the player's confidence. Dunne made 2 horrific mistakes, Green made 3 or 4, but the rest of his play was adequate for a pressure game in a competitive debut. The only alternative to Green was Gibson and quite frankly Green's effective workrate puts him ahead of Gibson atm, in the Irish set up.

Surely the only reason Green is playing instead of Gibson is that he's being playing regular club footie at the start of this season wheras Gibson hasn't?
That's not the main reason. If Gibson had the some of the qualities Green had, then he would be picked ahead.
Green is picked because he is a hard working grafter. Gibson has more football ability in his big toe than Green will ever have but he is not a grafter. Trap's team needs a grafter at CM in order to function. Gibson just does not have that aggression.

GBXII

Now that I think of it, I know I mentioned Gibson as the man to come in for Green mainly because I thought there was a chance Trap might actually start Gibson, but Fahey in centre-mid tomorrow night would surely be worth a look. He can't do much worse than Green the last night, his confidence is up, he would provide that bit of creativity in the middle while I assume still "grafting" and he has experience there. Given that it's Andorra it would seem to be less of a risk. Anyway, hope he changes around the centre-mid a bit.

Main Street

If Green or Whelan got injured or needed to be rested (yellow card?), then Gibson would be first choice to stand in.
But if both Green and Whelan are fit, Trap will stick with them. Fahey would be used at LM instead of McGeady.
But seeing as McGeady is the only winger, I expect Trap to go with him.
Trap is not going to change the formation just because it's Andorra, at least not unless he has no other choice.

J OGorman

I cant believe the grief robbie keane gets on here - he may not be the force he was but he is most definately worth his place on that team! Its not as if we are blessed with loads of top strikers to replace him!

Nor can I.
[/quote]

Robbie Keane's an Irish legend and is still the best we have.

Re midfield, what about young McCarthy from Wigan? impressed everytime I have seen him play, and whats more, he is very comfortable (very un-ireland-like) on the ball, bit of class about him

Billys Boots

Quote from: J OGorman on September 06, 2010, 03:29:42 PM
Nor can I.

Robbie Keane's an Irish legend and is still the best we have.

Re midfield, what about young McCarthy from Wigan? impressed everytime I have seen him play, and whats more, he is very comfortable (very un-ireland-like) on the ball, bit of class about him[/quote]

You've answered your own question.  ;)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

trileacman

True McCarthy is a talented player but that's exactly why he wouldn't get in the side. Depressing as it is McGeady is the only player worth watching in an Ireland match (entertainment wise), and despite this he is first to go off or get a bad rap. This is understandable as he never scores or creates goals but just does lots of impressive moves that end in nothing.

The rest of them are truly awful to watch but they get results. Given and Dunne are too great players but Dunne is still a piano mover. Brawn and intellect winning over skill. I loved to see a few, even one, highly skilled player on the ball to hold down a position in the team. I mean don't get me wrong Keane isnt too bad but alot of his play is clumsy as his his shooting. Great man for getting in good positions and judging the play but still not one to wacth like Villa, Rooney or Forlan. Not that I'm saying we have one of these players knocking about in the leagues but just someone who tries to play with style, fluency, beauty. Chippy was like that but they are seldom few about these days. Instead we get trotted out the same players in different positions. Green/Whelan/McShane/Kilbane/Lawrence/Doyle/O'Shea. Grafters not stylists. Thinkers not entertainers. There will be ten replies to this saying its better to get the results than to entertain but I say balls to that. I'd rather see us lose playing well than lose playing badly.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Main Street

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 06, 2010, 03:35:37 PM
You've answered your own question.  ;)

Well on the ball is not good enough, there are other duties which a CM has to perform for us.
McCarthy has been used as a sub in a friendly and did good out wide on the left. He pulled out of the 2 friendlies before the WC which did not do his chances any good. Green was used and took his chance well. He was excellent in the u21 game recently. I guess he was used in the u21 to stop the rot there. Now that they are finished their campaign I guess he has a very chance to be called up to the senior squad.
If McCarthy is to be used, he would used out wide, on the left or the right of midfield.

Main Street

Quote from: trileacman on September 06, 2010, 04:29:24 PM
Instead we get trotted out the same players in different positions. Green/Whelan/McShane/Kilbane/Lawrence/Doyle/O'Shea. Grafters not stylists. Thinkers not entertainers. There will be ten replies to this saying its better to get the results than to entertain but I say balls to that. I'd rather see us lose playing well than lose playing badly.
Every team has its grafters. Roy Keane was a box to box grafter. There is no reason why a midfield grafter can not be at the top of his profession.
We have no player who is anywhere near Brady's class, not even on the same planet as Brady. Maybe you imagine we have some extremely talented players lurking around the leagues.
Brady was part of the best ever assembled Irish team who managed to play worse more often than play good.
The good performances were legendary but the bad performances were many and soul destroying, ultimately crippling the confidence and morale. Assembling a team from a bunch of your best players who come together on occasions is not as easy as you might think.

trileacman

Quote from: trileacman on September 06, 2010, 04:29:24 PM
Instead we get trotted out the same players in different positions. Green/Whelan/McShane/Kilbane/Lawrence/Doyle/O'Shea. Grafters not stylists. Thinkers not entertainers. There will be ten replies to this saying its better to get the results than to entertain but I say balls to that. I'd rather see us lose playing well than lose playing badly.
Every team has its grafters. Yes but 11 of them? Roy Keane was a box to box grafter. Th ere is no reason why a midfield grafter can not be at the top of his profession. I agree, You need a midfield grafter, a great one if you are not that talented a side. I don't paticulary like two of them though. It negates our attack too much, which is why we struggle to beat a team as dire as Armenia. I would like to see more attack-minded man alongside whelan/andrews/Green. The great thing about Irish teams is their absolute dedication and work-rate. I think a more attacking MF with a good work ethic would stand to us better than a grafting donkey on the ball. by playing two holding MF and a defensive enough winger we negate our attack to such a degree that if we concede a goal it is impossible to take 3 points with us.
We have no player who is anywhere near Brady's class, not even on the same planet as Brady. Maybe you imagine we have some extremely talented players lurking around the leagues. Agree. Stephen McGrannies is pretty good but f**k him. I think A. Reid is next on the list, wish he was about the squad, would change the dynamic of the team no end.Hold the ball and thread some passes, aspects of our game extremely deficent for a team of our ranking. S. Reid after that. Again f**k him. Probably Fahy ??? after this but he's a long way off the first three I named.
Brady was part of the best ever assembled Irish team who managed to play worse more often than play good.
The good performances were legendary but the bad performances were many and soul destroying, ultimately crippling the confidence and morale. I'll take your word for it. Assembling a team from a bunch of your best players who come together on occasions is not as easy as you might think. True. Trap's a smarter soccer man than me, just wish he would incorporate some offensive elements.

trileacman

Many heading to it? I was going to go but 50 yo's yo's put an end to my aspirations.

J OGorman

Heading down,but hope the weather picks up a bit..any pre-match pints men?

GBXII

Have to agree with trileacman, the main reason I look forward to Irish games (these days) is to watch McGeady, even if he hasn't fully developed. He makes fools out of defenders, I get the impression that one day he is going to explode potential-wise, a bit like Ronaldo for Utd a few years back.

Also agree that there is no reason why Fahey or Gibson shouldn't start ahead of Green other than the fact that Trap is overly cautious. And I agree that Stephen Ireland and Andy Reid are probably the only other two" entertainers" that are Irish. Here's hoping those situations resolve themselves sooner rather later. I won't hold my breath though!!

Hound

Quote from: GBXII on September 06, 2010, 08:37:38 PM
Have to agree with trileacman, the main reason I look forward to Irish games (these days) is to watch McGeady, even if he hasn't fully developed. He makes fools out of defenders, I get the impression that one day he is going to explode potential-wise, a bit like Ronaldo for Utd a few years back.

McGeady has had some great flashes when playing for Ireland, but very little in end product.

Liam Lawrence certainly completed outplayed him the last day - be interesting to compare the two tomorrow. I wonder did Celtic make a mistake in not buying Lawrence when they had the chance this summer...