Down New manager

Started by Down1234, July 04, 2018, 05:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

Quote from: downjim on July 06, 2018, 04:10:23 PM
I'm not saying we have the best facilities in Down be we are up there and tbh the majority of the best facilities are within 10 miles from Burren(Bridge, Saval,Shamrocks, Clonduff, Kilcoo).

I'm saying take a look through the leagues in Down, look at every club and say is their house in order?
Are your members working hard enough?
It's easy to fundraise and get money. People will always be generous with money.

Good volunteers who spend upteem hours at the pitches cleaning, cutting , coaching, meeting. They are the cornerstone of our association.

So can we stop the yapping about county boards  unless you can look at yourself and say I do enough.
This small club mantra is shite as well, you can be small in membership but you can still create top class facilities for our kids. Entice the kids to your clubs first, then Down will change.
You dont have much knowledge of a small club. They are small because off the small population or nationalist population they have to pick from. Burren kilcoo bridge clonduff are all in strong nationalist well populated areas. A club like aghaderg for example does well to survive considering its location and the fact it has traditionally lost players to tullylish annaclone glenn etc in the past and to also have a hurling team. These clubs are small for a reason. And their volunteers are every bit as committed as those in the big clubs.

Ambrose

Deegan and McCartan have been reappointed as U20 and minor managers.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

downjim

Quote from: snoopdog on July 07, 2018, 06:56:19 PM
I'm not saying we have the best facilities in Down be we are up there and tbh the majority of the best facilities are within 10 miles from Burren(Bridge, Saval,Shamrocks, Clonduff, Kilcoo).

I'm saying take a look through the leagues in Down, look at every club and say is their house in order?
It's easy to fundraise and get money. People will always be generous with money.

Good volunteers who spend upteem hours at the pitches cleaning, cutting , coaching, meeting. They are the cornerstone of our association.

So can we stop the yapping about county boards  unless you can look at yourself and say I do enough.
This small club mantra is shite as well, you can be small in membership but you can still create top class facilities for our kids. Entice the kids to your clubs first, then Down will change.
You dont have much knowledge of a small club. They are small because off the small population or nationalist population they have to pick from. Burren kilcoo bridge clonduff are all in strong nationalist well populated areas. A club like aghaderg for example does well to survive considering its location and the fact it has traditionally lost players to tullylish annaclone glenn etc in the past and to also have a hurling team. These clubs are small for a reason. And their volunteers are every bit as committed as those in the big clubs.

I remember our seconds beating the Bridge in the lowest division in early 80's, they worked hard to get to dive at the top table. Kilcoo are another club who have climbed through the divisions and good foresight also gave them great facilities.

What I  saying is that a bit of hard work goes a long way, has every club a development plan, coaching plans etc We need to improve clubs as well in the county, personally I think there is too many clubs in Down. The Mourne clubs could do with one less, Mitchell's would be better with Bosco.

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: downjim on July 07, 2018, 03:58:47 PM
Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on July 07, 2018, 11:20:30 AM

You are taking the speck out of other clubs' eyes before you take the log out of your own Jim.
Look at the clubs you named and we can look at the starting lineup for Down/Cavan and the number of players from these fine examples of structure and facilities:
Burren - 1
Mayobridge -0
Saval - 0
Shamrocks - 0
Clonduff - 1
Kilcoo - 1

A total of 3! Thank you for helping to prove my point. It isn't the small clubs that you look down on who are the issue in Down, its the large clubs who are killing the county.
Facilities help attract players and help nurture talent, but if players are being lost and not developed to senior level properly by these big clubs, then whats the point?

You should be banned from this board after that post. Take a look at division one and the SFC champions since 1980 please

Away and chase yourself.
Please take a wee dip into the present if you could and stop reminiscing.
This is the worst position that Down football has been in, in my lifetime.
If you, as part of one of the biggest clubs in the county, can't afford some introspection to see if you can be part of the solution, well that arrogance is the root of the problem.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: snoopdog on July 07, 2018, 06:56:19 PM

Great post.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

6th sam

eply #29840 on: Today at 08:34:09 PM ยป
QuoteModifyRemove
I suspect Downjim is deliberately winding, but let's analyse what he says.
We need all clubs contributing what they can to the county, by definition most top players should come from the top clubs but nobody can deny that there are gems in the lower divisions .
Some of the top clubs are understandably focusing on their own progress and under the current system , county representation can hinder that progress. When the county is struggling and less likely to win silverware players often will prioritise their club.
It's easy to blindly criticise county players, managers and board , and some  of the personalised comments are at best unhelpful and immature. Regardless of what club you are from , it's easy to agree on a few things: we need to improve on our financial situation , and a county finance/business development manager , as per top counties , would seem Like a good addition.
In the absence of free movement between clubs , every club has a responsibility to provide the very best environment for their players to develop, and to try to develop county players, including amalgamated senior championship teams , fighting for improved club structures etc.
It is absolutely vital that each club aspires to local floodlit facilities for games at all levels and a second pitch to extend the playing season.
If the county team succeeds we all get a spin-off ( If in doubt just look at your club's benefit from an all ireland appearance in 2010) . The structures are there to effect change but too often , we blame individuals as opposed to finding , and unifying behind a winning culture.
The personnel charged with finding our next senior management are 5 respected, knowledgeable and strong minded individuals , and I've no doubt will find the best personnel available . Regardless of their decision, unless we improve our financial situation and every club from senior to junior rally around a common cause and contributes whatever they can to our county's success , we'll probably keep making the same mistakes

downjim

How many full square de floodlit pitches have we??

JohnStones

ck

Quote from: JohnStones on August 08, 2018, 11:02:59 PM
Any updates?

3 years since above post and it still applies. lol
What on earth are the county board playing at? Surely a county manager would need to have been able to watch the club c/ship?!

supersub

Is there something to suggest they couldn't watch it without being appointed? That stance baffles me. As free as anyone is to watch as many games as they like

yellowcard

Quote from: ck on November 03, 2021, 10:26:26 PM
Any updates?

What on earth are the county board playing at? Surely a county manager would need to have been able to watch the club c/ship?!

You would have to imagine that the Down manager has been internally appointed at this stage since they have had 4 months to find a new manager. There must be a good reason why they haven't announced it yet. 

Godsown

But surely it can't be appointed until approved by full co board which involved all clubs

Blowitupref

Stephen Poacher has stepped down from his coaching role with Roscommon and said he's going to focus his energy closer to home now.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

ck

Quote from: yellowcard on November 05, 2021, 10:10:13 AM
Quote from: ck on November 03, 2021, 10:26:26 PM
Any updates?

You would have to imagine that the Down manager has been internally appointed at this stage since they have had 4 months to find a new manager. There must be a good reason why they haven't announced it yet.

The only thing that would make sense to me is that the new man is currently in a role and has asked that it's not released until his C'ship ends. Either that or they simply don't have anyone. If they'd don't then that is very poor indeed.

rrhf

Would Pete Mc Grath be totally out of the reckoning..