Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Dunsilly King

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on August 23, 2019, 10:50:00 AM
Quote from: breakingball on August 21, 2019, 09:52:54 AM
Quote from: Caesar on August 21, 2019, 08:47:51 AM
Some good matches coming up this weekend. Whats our predictions for the following:

Moneyglass Vs Dunloy
Rasharkin Vs Randalstown
Davitts Vs Sarsfields
Lamh Dhearg Vs Ahoghill
Aghagallon Vs St Teresas
Portglenone Vs St Brigids
Gort Na Mona Vs Rossa

My predictions are Dunloy, Randalstown, Sarsfields, LD, Aghagallon, Portglenone and Rossa.

Same
Gorts for me / very strong at home

:o They won five league games of which two were against St Enda's and St Bridigs. Won three away and two at home. Do you constantly talk shite.

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Dunsilly King on August 23, 2019, 11:37:27 AM
Quote from: Belfast GAA man on August 23, 2019, 10:50:00 AM
Quote from: breakingball on August 21, 2019, 09:52:54 AM
Some good matches coming up this weekend. Whats our predictions for the following:

Moneyglass Vs Dunloy
Rasharkin Vs Randalstown
Davitts Vs Sarsfields
Lamh Dhearg Vs Ahoghill
Aghagallon Vs St Teresas
Gort Na Mona Vs Rossa

My predictions are Dunloy, Randalstown, Sarsfields, LD, Aghagallon, Portglenone and Rossa.

Same
Gorts for me / very strong at home

:o They won five league games of which two were against St Enda's and St Bridigs. Won three away and two at home. Do you constantly talk shite.
Hadn't check league table before post but I have now and they beat St Teresa's St Enda and St Brigids at home and won 3 away so yes I do talk some shite but I can add up ! (league table 12 points)
Having played and coached against them over the years they always seem more up for it at home on the tight pitch that's all :-*

jeremiah

It's championship, it's at a neutral venue. They may well win but it won't have much to do with their home form

Belfast GAA man

U r right - I've lost the plot ! away to book a holiday!

Sportacus

Would Moneyglass not be in with a good chance of beating Dunloy?

imtommygunn

Definitely on league standings. I think Dunloy's standard will vary depending on how many hurlers are available. Dunloy won the league game though I think.(Well the 2nd one - not sure about first)

bannside

Toby 47.... your post reminiscing about that particular encounter against Derry nineteen years ago always touches a raw nerve with me. Casement Park in full flow, thousands of Antrim supporters full vocal and Saffron everywhere, and our boys forcing the much vaunted Oak Leaf onto the ropes. Derry were probably a top six team then, NFL div one winners in that era. Kevin Madden's point with his left foot, practically on the goal line....what a score. A timely reminder what pure pride passion endeavour and team spirit can deliver. Like the day our hurlers beat Offaly in 89, two days of a lifetime.

BrendanAntrim

I think Derry were actually National League champions that year? Yeah that was some day. 19 effing years. Even now its a decade since our 'breakthrough' year of '09..there was so much promise around that team and era and it lasted a good few seasons. Hopefully we can get that back.

ciaran1988

Moneyglass Vs Dunloy
Rasharkin Vs Randalstown
Davitts Vs Sarsfields
Lamh Dhearg Vs Ahoghill
Aghagallon Vs St Teresas
Gort Na Mona Vs Rossa

Moneyglass, Randalstown, Sarsfields, Lamh Dhearg, Aghagallon, Portglenone, Rossa

Spike

Quote from: BrendanAntrim on August 23, 2019, 11:20:53 PM
I think Derry were actually National League champions that year? Yeah that was some day. 19 effing years. Even now its a decade since our 'breakthrough' year of '09..there was so much promise around that team and era and it lasted a good few seasons. Hopefully we can get that back.

'09 was the real waste - we had a young talented team that got promoted up the divisions for the first time in years.  If we'd steadied the ship then and not messed Baker around we could have had a real foundation for future years.  2000 was the plucky underdog catching Derry cold in the 2nd half with two fortunate (but well taken) goals. We had them reeling but Derry showed us what was what in the replay.  McGreevy, McManus, Quinn, Doyle and Brady were good enough for the '09 team and dragged that '00 team above themselves to 2 terrific days out as the underdog, but the rest of the squad were limited. 

The '09 team had potential to go somewhere, some genuine top level footballers and yet the powers that be decided to interfere.  Oh well, they gave us some good days out

imtommygunn

Championship pretty much to script at the weekend. Dunloy moneyglass the only result not everyone predicted.

Agreed spike. Coleman and Morris coming in also a bit help in 2000. 2009 we had decent enough players then for various reasons we never seem to get our best selection out there.

After 2000 I wasn't sure I would ever see an Antrim team in an Ulster final so at least i have that lol.

paddyjohn

Na Glinntí Glasa

we just didn't play well at all on Sat evening. Moneyglass were superb and everything they hit went over the bar, it was a pretty impressive display from them and they would be my favs to win it now.

Portglenone was a good venue for a double header and the club had everything sorted to perfection. a good show from them. that pitch is like a carpet
hurl like f**k boi!

bannside

Our groundsmen will be chuffed to hear that DR.

Moneyglass looked comfortable throughout and will take a bit of beating alright, but there are still one or two clubs who will give them a run for their money. Keelan Molloy is a joy to watch in full flight, but he's lost to the small ball so we will only see the odd glimpse here and there of his ability. Def a county senior panellist if he ever thought about a change of scenery for a year...lol.

If the games I saw Tir Na Nog looked in decent shape too, moved well, and can't be completely discounted. Portglenone made hard work of dispatching gutsy St Brigids, we can thank our keeper Ryan O Neill for a few saves that allowed us just a bit of breathing space throughout.

Anyone standing out that Lenny should be looking for next year?