Derry V Donegal Ulster final 2022

Started by shawshank, May 16, 2022, 02:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Quote from: oakleaflad on May 17, 2022, 03:13:26 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 17, 2022, 02:57:53 PM
Did Maghera not have a lean spell too? Always thought it was tied to that. Now you've convent and Maghera both competing.
Far too much emphasis on schools on this board. The club coaching in a number of teams in Derry is top class and of much more importance for me.

Aw I agree. The standards at club underage in Derry arguably the best in Ulster.

shawshank

Silver hill

quote author=imtommygunn link=topic=30813.msg2123683#msg2123683 date=1652788738]
Derry always has had footballing talent. There just hasn't been the county setup to match. Look at their clubs and the success they have. I don't think you have that many other counties like that. They're a while crowd for infighting is half their problem[/b]  ;D
[/quote]

Club infighting......a lazy cliche. We have competitive club football that is probably as good as any in Ireland.
Yes, there's been rows over the years, but no more or less than any other county.

Silver hill

Also, very strong club teams does not automatically transfer to outstanding county footballers. Look at Kilcoo as an example..... fine club team but how many are county standard??
Their sum is greater than the individual parts and that's a great way to have it.

Wildweasel74

Derry put alot into minor grade, but only 2 Ulster titles at U20/21 level past 25yrs.Tyrone on the other hand have 4/5 out of the past 6/7yrs. Outside of Galway,& Kerry, there tends to be a direct correlation of Senior teams going well of the back of All Ireland U20/21 teams. It's at this level I feel Derry need to concentrate on, more than minors. Back to the Derry page, all this chat normally kept on there.

JoeSoap

Quote from: J70 on May 17, 2022, 03:04:53 PM
Quote from: JoeSoap on May 17, 2022, 01:20:53 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 17, 2022, 12:58:58 PM
Derry always has had footballing talent. There just hasn't been the county setup to match. Look at their clubs and the success they have. I don't think you have that many other counties like that. They're a while crowd for infighting is half their problem  ;D

Haha, well you're right there that they have great football tradition in Derry over the years and some of the best footballers to have ever played the game. I suppose my comment is probably aimed at other counties with similar or even better pedigree to Derry - Down, Meath, Cork. Cavan as well although I think with Mickey Graham they have a brilliant coach and are on the up in my view. Down and Meath in particular, it's shocking the state they're both in.

Donegal wouldn't have had wile success over the years but always good level of talent in the county. The last 10 years have been as successful as the previous 130 though which I think goes to show if you get the right people involved you can challenge at inter county level.

It's interesting to wonder what would have happened had McGuinness not come along.

Would the ability and drive of Michael Murphy have been completely squandered with maybe one or two Ulster final appearances and possibly a title?

We had other all time Donegal greats like Lacey, Cassidy, Neil McGee etc. for five years before McGuinness. We didn't win an Ulster Championship game in '08, '09 or '10. Throw in extremely talented lads like Brendan Devenney, Christy Toye and Adrian Sweeney when those lads were starting out, and we really should have done better all through that decade. Granted, we came up against Armagh and Tyrone, but if the leadership and dedication had been there, we could have been challenging those counties much more seriously than the occasional one-off victory.

If McGuinness hadn't been there and we hadn't won Ulsters and that AI, would the underage success under Bonner which has fed much of the current senior team have happened?

I think Jim brought a single-mindedness to the group that has filtered down in terms of success, as you say the underage success that we've had to now bring players into the current set up is all fed from those Jim years.. Someone posted the interview Jim had with Tomás Ó'Sé there recently on another thread and it was great listening to him in terms of Glenties and the long term project they all invested in to get their club competitive at county level. I think it's not all down to Jim I think there are people around him with a similar mindset, like you say Michael Murphy as well, but Jim's force of personality without a doubt had the whole county on a mission. We were never being beaten in 2012, you could sense it from the first day out.

I think we are a great indicator of getting the right people involved, the talent is there in plenty of counties and we were always one of them with nice, talented footballers, but if you have the right people in charge of the group, anything is possible. And now you have some in the county being disappointed with the current group for not pushing on in the All-Ireland series... I think Bonner has his shortcomings and there's plenty of justified criticism but maybe I'm a bit long in the tooth and still have that old Donegal mentality that Jim tried to stamp out - but I remember too many rough days to be too harsh on this group when we're contesting finals and competing with the best in the land, even if we haven't gotten over the line much in the past few years.

Estimator

The only Ulster Finals between the two sides -

Two were played in great conditions for football ('92 & '11), one played in poor conditions ('98) and one played in horrendous conditions ('93).

2011:
Donegal 1-11 Derry 0-08

Derry 1-07 Donegal 0-08

Derry 0-08 Donegal 0-06

Donegal 0-14 Derry 1-09

So far in this campaign Donegal have posted scores of 1-16 & 2-16. Derry have put up 1-18 & 3-12.  But I'd suggest we might have a low scoring encounter, similar to the previous finals between the two sides.

Hoping that it's not an omen, but looking back at the 2011 campaign. Derry scored 1-18 in their QF win over Fermanagh, and 3-14 in their demolition of Armagh. Unfortunately, in the build up to the Final, Eoin Bradley was injured at training (ACL, I think) and a huge scoring threat was taken away.

The teams from the 2011 final.  No one from Derry still involved. From Donegal, I think its just McGee, Murphy and McBrearty.

Donegal: P Durcan; F McGlynn, N McGee, P McGrath; A Thompson, K Lacey, K Cassidy; R Kavanagh, N Gallagher; M McHugh, M Hegarty, R Bradley; P McBrearty, M Murphy, C McFadden. Subs: M McElhinney for Kavanagh (31), D Molloy for McBrearty (54), D Walsh for Bradley (58).

Derry: D Devlin; S L McGoldrick, K McGuckin, D McBride; C Mullan, C Kielt, M Bateson; J Diver, M Friel; M Lynch, C O'Boyle, B McGoldrick; E Muldoon, J Kielt, C Gilligan. Subs: M Donaghy for Bateson (29), K McCloy for Mullan (45), G O'Kane for B McGoldrick (60), E McGuckin for Gilligan (60) PJ McCloskey for Muldoon (62).
Ulster League Champions 2009

tbrick18

Quote from: Estimator on May 18, 2022, 01:24:00 PM

Two were played in great conditions for football ('92 & '11), one played in poor conditions ('98) and one played in horrendous conditions ('93).

2011:
Donegal 1-11 Derry 0-08

Derry 1-07 Donegal 0-08

Derry 0-08 Donegal 0-06

Donegal 0-14 Derry 1-09

So far in this campaign Donegal have posted scores of 1-16 & 2-16. Derry have put up 1-18 & 3-12.  But I'd suggest we might have a low scoring encounter, similar to the previous finals between the two sides.

Hoping that it's not an omen, but looking back at the 2011 campaign. Derry scored 1-18 in their QF win over Fermanagh, and 3-14 in their demolition of Armagh. Unfortunately, in the build up to the Final, Eoin Bradley was injured at training (ACL, I think) and a huge scoring threat was taken away.

The teams from the 2011 final.  No one from Derry still involved. From Donegal, I think its just McGee, Murphy and McBrearty.

Donegal: P Durcan; F McGlynn, N McGee, P McGrath; A Thompson, K Lacey, K Cassidy; R Kavanagh, N Gallagher; M McHugh, M Hegarty, R Bradley; P McBrearty, M Murphy, C McFadden. Subs: M McElhinney for Kavanagh (31), D Molloy for McBrearty (54), D Walsh for Bradley (58).

Derry: D Devlin; S L McGoldrick, K McGuckin, D McBride; C Mullan, C Kielt, M Bateson; J Diver, M Friel; M Lynch, C O'Boyle, B McGoldrick; E Muldoon, J Kielt, C Gilligan. Subs: M Donaghy for Bateson (29), K McCloy for Mullan (45), G O'Kane for B McGoldrick (60), E McGuckin for Gilligan (60) PJ McCloskey for Muldoon (62).

1992 was such a sickener from a Derry perspective.
No matter what, we were always going to win the 1993 game thought the conditions that day were horrific. The game should never have been played.
In 2011, we'd already lost Paddy Bradley to an ACL and then at a training session the week of the final Skinner did his ACL also. Left us struggling up front. Even at that, a dubious penalty award to Murphy is what swung the game to them, imo. Small margins can have huge knock one effects.
Derry went into a kind of free fall after that with a succession of failed managers and teams.

marty34

2011:
Donegal 1-11 Derry 0-08

Derry 1-07 Donegal 0-08

Derry 0-08 Donegal 0-06

Donegal 0-14 Derry 1-09

Defensive football back then also - parking the bus.

JoG2

Quote from: marty34 on May 18, 2022, 02:19:21 PM

2011:
Donegal 1-11 Derry 0-08

Derry 1-07 Donegal 0-08

Derry 0-08 Donegal 0-06

Donegal 0-14 Derry 1-09

You should do a Podcast Marty, I'd definitely listen

marty34

Quote from: JoG2 on May 18, 2022, 02:32:34 PM
Quote from: marty34 on May 18, 2022, 02:19:21 PM

2011:
Donegal 1-11 Derry 0-08

Derry 1-07 Donegal 0-08

Derry 0-08 Donegal 0-06

Donegal 0-14 Derry 1-09

You should do a Podcast Marty, I'd definitely listen

Just saying people whinging that this defensive stuff as if it's a recent thing.

That game was 30 years ago, and in good weather but low scoring.

Captain Obvious

Wasn't the 1998 final where Joe Brolly scored a late winning goal and went over to the Donegal section of supporters and blew kisses at them?

sensethetone

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 18, 2022, 02:53:09 PM
Wasn't the 1998 final where Joe Brolly scored a late winning goal and went over to the Donegal section of supporters and blew kisses at them?

Jim Curran gave a 45 that never went over the line to Donegal..

JoeSoap

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 18, 2022, 01:59:02 PM

2011:
Donegal 1-11 Derry 0-08

Derry 1-07 Donegal 0-08

Derry 0-08 Donegal 0-06

Donegal 0-14 Derry 1-09

No matter what, we were always going to win the 1993 game thought the conditions that day were horrific. The game should never have been played.
In 2011, we'd already lost Paddy Bradley to an ACL and then at a training session the week of the final Skinner did his ACL also. Left us struggling up front. Even at that, a dubious penalty award to Murphy is what swung the game to them, imo. Small margins can have huge knock one effects.
Derry went into a kind of free fall after that with a succession of failed managers and teams.

The feeling is mutual for '93! The conditions were horrible is right, I remember a young fella had a horrible injury in the minor game. Some battles in those days with Down and Tyrone as well. I feel we're in another period of really good competitive Ulster teams. Whether one of us can have another rattle at Sam this year is up in the air but there's no doubt the Ulster championship is great entertainment

J70

Quote from: JoeSoap on May 18, 2022, 04:19:05 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on May 18, 2022, 01:59:02 PM

2011:
Donegal 1-11 Derry 0-08

Derry 1-07 Donegal 0-08

Derry 0-08 Donegal 0-06

Donegal 0-14 Derry 1-09

The feeling is mutual for '93! The conditions were horrible is right, I remember a young fella had a horrible injury in the minor game. Some battles in those days with Down and Tyrone as well. I feel we're in another period of really good competitive Ulster teams. Whether one of us can have another rattle at Sam this year is up in the air but there's no doubt the Ulster championship is great entertainment

Leaving aside the lottery of the conditions and Tohill's tour-de-force on the day, injuries did for us in "93. That team was coasting on fumes. In retrospect, I'd say McEniff might have regretted going all out for the league that year (including a hard fought and bad tempered quarter final win over Derry) instead of just blooding new players, as the spine of the team was already getting past its peak.