Derry V Donegal Ulster final 2022

Started by shawshank, May 16, 2022, 02:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derryman forever

Quote from: Loughshore2022 on May 30, 2022, 09:13:12 PM
Judging by my research this was the first time all 15 players in an Ulster winning team were from South Derry. I had thought 1958 was the same but it seems Sean O'Connell was on that team. To be fair though Slaughtneil and Glen feel like North Derry in my eyes. Once you hit the Glenshane it just doesn't feel like South Derry to me.

When did Slaughtneil and Glen move over the mountain?

Eire90

Quote from: Real Talk on May 30, 2022, 10:39:35 PM
Quote from: screenexile on May 30, 2022, 10:25:48 PM
Are all AIQFs in Croker??

The AIQF's venues will be determined by the CCCC  apparently... they are on Sat/Sun 25/26 June

is it very good chance all 4 quarters are in  croke park

marty34

Quote from: Eire90 on May 30, 2022, 11:43:01 PM
Quote from: Real Talk on May 30, 2022, 10:39:35 PM
Quote from: screenexile on May 30, 2022, 10:25:48 PM
Are all AIQFs in Croker??

The AIQF's venues will be determined by the CCCC  apparently... they are on Sat/Sun 25/26 June

is it very good chance all 4 quarters are in  croke park

You'd think double headers pver the 2 days would work well.

J70

Quote from: JoeSoap on May 30, 2022, 03:01:12 PM
In terms of management I suppose Rory Kavanagh would be touted but people complaining about our style of play would want to be worried about the club game as well. Rochford I'm not convinced has brought anything since 2019. It's gotten very stale unfortunately, I thought Bonner was a breath of fresh air and the drawn game v Kerry in Croke Park 2019 was one of my most enjoyable days following Donegal in many a year. We played brilliant stuff that day.

But I suppose circumstances have meant we've not had a proper run since that year and in the intervening championships we seem to have become much more conservative and cautious in those big games. The Cavan defeat in 2020 I think was hugely damaging to the team and to Bonner.

I have heard those rumblings about Murphy before and I think maybe it's the case that he likes to drift out but if he was getting a clear instruction from management to stay inside for a certain amount of team in each game, from knowing his personality I would be very surprised if Murphy would just ignore that.

Fair point about the club game and how players in Donegal are developing, but surely that cycle has to break soon as well? I've been away for years, but I'm not sure I'd be too bothered sending my kids down to the local club if all they were learning was tactical blanket defense shite instead of just learning and playing the man-on-man game I grew up with. Surely people on the ground must be getting tired of this?

Back to Sunday, I don't think I've ever been as disillusioned about watching Donegal as I was during that game. Was texting about this with a mate from Cavan during it (he was in Clones and he thought it was awful shite!), and even if we had managed to sneak it, it would have been possibly the least satisfying Ulster win I'd ever experienced. Because I think it would have just papered over the cracks. Even as Ulster champions, we'd be going nowhere in the AI series. We're too easy to shut down, and we're far too fearful and risk-averse to compete with any of the leading contenders.

Whoever we get in the qualifiers, I'd love to see Bonner just take it as a free hit, make Murphy stay up on front with McBrearty and Brennan, and f**king go for it. Start pumping in some fast, long ball along with the running. Because what we're doing now has to end. We're not winning an AI anyway, so if we go out in the qualifiers instead of the QF, so what?

restorepride

Quote from: J70 on May 31, 2022, 06:16:04 PM
Quote from: JoeSoap on May 30, 2022, 03:01:12 PM
In terms of management I suppose Rory Kavanagh would be touted but people complaining about our style of play would want to be worried about the club game as well. Rochford I'm not convinced has brought anything since 2019. It's gotten very stale unfortunately, I thought Bonner was a breath of fresh air and the drawn game v Kerry in Croke Park 2019 was one of my most enjoyable days following Donegal in many a year. We played brilliant stuff that day.

But I suppose circumstances have meant we've not had a proper run since that year and in the intervening championships we seem to have become much more conservative and cautious in those big games. The Cavan defeat in 2020 I think was hugely damaging to the team and to Bonner.

I have heard those rumblings about Murphy before and I think maybe it's the case that he likes to drift out but if he was getting a clear instruction from management to stay inside for a certain amount of team in each game, from knowing his personality I would be very surprised if Murphy would just ignore that.

Fair point about the club game and how players in Donegal are developing, but surely that cycle has to break soon as well? I've been away for years, but I'm not sure I'd be too bothered sending my kids down to the local club if all they were learning was tactical blanket defense shite instead of just learning and playing the man-on-man game I grew up with. Surely people on the ground must be getting tired of this?

Back to Sunday, I don't think I've ever been as disillusioned about watching Donegal as I was during that game. Was texting about this with a mate from Cavan during it (he was in Clones and he thought it was awful shite!), and even if we had managed to sneak it, it would have been possibly the least satisfying Ulster win I'd ever experienced. Because I think it would have just papered over the cracks. Even as Ulster champions, we'd be going nowhere in the AI series. We're too easy to shut down, and we're far too fearful and risk-averse to compete with any of the leading contenders.

Whoever we get in the qualifiers, I'd love to see Bonner just take it as a free hit, make Murphy stay up on front with McBrearty and Brennan, and f**king go for it. Start pumping in some fast, long ball along with the running. Because what we're doing now has to end. We're not winning an AI anyway, so if we go out in the qualifiers instead of the QF, so what?
More shite on here than in Clones. And some very sour grapes because Derry outfoxed Donegal. I mean like, how dare we beat Donegal using the tactics Donegal used for years?! It actually was quite an enjoyable game overall and the atmosphere in Clones was brilliant. Much of the play and defensive blocking and dispossession was top class stuff - Paul Cassidy and Niall Loughlin. Some of the points Donegal scored were excellent - Murphy, McHugh, Mogan and Thompson. Some of Roger's runs were as exciting as any I've seen. Get off the players' backs or go watch Limerick v Kerry next year. Sunday was no different than a few Monaghan v Donegal finals in recent years. Also higher scoring so take off the blinkers.

Derryman forever

I was at the game and it was excellent nail-biting entertainment.  I watched  the replay on BBC and the analysis and commentary added to the appreciation of the tactics used,  and increased the overall enjoyment factor. I tried to watch it on RTE and they focused on every negative, real and imagined . They talked like a couple of old woman disapproving of the antics of the youth today.
The puke  is not what is happening on the field but what is coming from RTE. It's time they realised their job is to sell the positives of the game not react to the negatives.  Their parochial attitudes have no place commenting on a national sport.
No others port in the world is given such negative exposure by those commissioned to promote and enhance its coverage.
The GAA need to think about that as should RTE management.

RedHand88

It was the best provincial final this year. Hands down.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Derryman forever on June 01, 2022, 06:46:00 AM
I was at the game and it was excellent nail-biting entertainment.  I watched  the replay on BBC and the analysis and commentary added to the appreciation of the tactics used,  and increased the overall enjoyment factor. I tried to watch it on RTE and they focused on every negative, real and imagined . They talked like a couple of old woman disapproving of the antics of the youth today.
The puke  is not what is happening on the field but what is coming from RTE. It's time they realised their job is to sell the positives of the game not react to the negatives.  Their parochial attitudes have no place commenting on a national sport.
No others port in the world is given such negative exposure by those commissioned to promote and enhance its coverage.

Oisín McConville called it a game of basketball.

Derryman forever

In reference to the tactics not the quality.

Derryman forever

Quote from: RedHand88 on June 01, 2022, 06:54:38 AM
It was the best provincial final this year. Hands down.

Ciaran Whelan  acknowledged  that.

Derryman forever

"Opinions are great but the reality is that Monaghan, Tyrone, Donegal and Armagh were all in Division One this year and Derry and Down, albeit they were relegated, in Division Two so that's six out of the province in the top two divisions.

"There's no other province that can boast that same record so it is competitive to say the least and that's grand to a certain extent but it's not great if you're beat in the first round. We've drawn Donegal and Tyrone I don't know how many times in the last decade and that makes things harder.

And Derry did it the hard way this year, beating three of those Division One teams McKaigue mentioned – Tyrone, Monaghan and Donegal in the Ulster final. Meanwhile, Kerry cantered home in Munster by beating Cork by 12 points and Limerick by 23.

"Donegal have a reputation over the last number of years of being fantastic defensively but they don't get the credit for how well tuned-in tactically they are," he said.

"Their attacks are premeditated and very well structured and you get the feeling that everything they do, they know exactly who they want to shoot and how they want to orchestrate the shot.

"You look at the number of scores they've got in Division One over the last two or three years and they've averaged 17-18 points. That's not talked about much in the media. Look at the stats of how much teams are scoring in inter-county now in comparison to 10 years ago, it's day and night.

"There's a level of our game now tactically, physically... Look at the crowds now going to the games, I think the game is in really good health all the boys and girls that I know of want to be playing GAA. I think GAA in Derry and I do believe in Ulster and beyond is in really good health at the minute. I honestly do believe that."

Chrissy mc Keagues thoughts in today's Irish News.
Take not of his comments on Donegal and how their work is not appreciated.
It is not appreciated because we are listening to commentators like Marty Morrisey who really does not appreciat the entirety of Football

Armagh18

I'd listen to the likes of McKaigue over anyone on rte!

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 01, 2022, 08:18:34 AM
I'd listen to the likes of McKaigue over anyone on rte!

Even The Gooch? 5 All Irelands 8 All Stars?

restorepride

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 01, 2022, 07:16:25 AM

That is because Armagh weren't playing! Anyhow many great footballers weren't bad at the basketball either!!

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: restorepride on June 01, 2022, 08:48:31 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 01, 2022, 07:16:25 AM

That is because Armagh weren't playing! Anyhow many great footballers weren't bad at the basketball either!!

Big Donaghey! I think as someone said it was tactics more than anything else he was referring to, my point is if it was RTE he would have been anti Ulster blah blah blah.