Derry V Donegal Ulster final 2022

Started by shawshank, May 16, 2022, 02:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeSoap

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 30, 2022, 09:46:16 AM
He is indeed which is why he struggled to get away from Chris's McK, They know what foot he's going onto.

He went on the outside once in the 2nd half and got a bit of a run on McKaigue but no score at the end of it. McKaigue had him completely wrapped up, I've rarely seen a marking job like it (other than last year!).

marty34

Quote from: JoeSoap on May 30, 2022, 09:48:14 AM
He is indeed which is why he struggled to get away from Chris's McK, They know what foot he's going onto.

He went on the outside once in the 2nd half and got a bit of a run on McKaigue but no score at the end of it. McKaigue had him completely wrapped up, I've rarely seen a marking job like it (other than last year!).

I think if people are going to man-mark a player, they need to do it like Mc Kaigue. Sacrifice their own game 100% and not even touch the ball during the game.

E.g. in hurling if you're man-marking Cian Lynch, you need to do it Mc Kaigue style. Sacrifice your own game for 70+ mins and limit his influence rather than just if he pops into your zone, then you pick him up.

Similiar to Ciarán Kilkenny - needs a proper man-marker.

Give up your game - needs a lot of mental disclipline.  Takes a special type of player.

Taylor

Quote from: marty34 on May 30, 2022, 09:59:41 AM

I think if people are going to man-mark a player, they need to do it like Mc Kaigue. Sacrifice their own game 100% and not even touch the ball during the game.

E.g. in hurling if you're man-marking Cian Lynch, you need to do it Mc Kaigue style. Sacrifice your own game for 70+ mins and limit his influence rather than just if he pops into your zone, then you pick him up.

Give up your game - needs a lot of mental disclipline.  Takes a special type of player.

Takes an even more special type of player to do what BR did then.

Not only mark Murphy out of the game but also tack on a few points for good measure

JoeSoap

Quote from: Taylor on May 30, 2022, 10:01:43 AM

Not only mark Murphy out of the game but also tack on a few points for good measure

I was frustrated that Donegal didn't react to Rogers. Put Murphy inside for a sustained long period and see how Rogers and Derry reacts to that.

Rogers was absolutely sensational no doubt about that. Just from a Donegal POV frustrating not to see some reaction to how he was influencing the game.

marty34

I don't know about that. More disclipline, unseen disclipline to do what Mc Kaigue does.

I'd say that's why Gallagher put Rogers on Murphy. He knew Murphy would be out around the middle and if anyone knows Rogers, he has the legs on anybody.

This was clear to see in extra-time, even during the match itself. He had the legs on Murphy. As I said before, put Murphy at No. 14 and put Mc Brearty around him. Bonnar should have kept Rogers back in the full back line.

What Mc Kaigue does on a regular basis is very much unseen, hard discliplined graft.

uimhr ocht

Doire deserved this years Ulster Title beating 3 div 1 teams, some amount of crying about the game from so called neutrals.it was very tense and nervy yes but the munster  final was a joke.Derry had some support yesterday and great to see and it will give the whole county a lift.We are in bonus territory now and see where this journey takes us.

Estimator

Derry beat every Anglo-Celt winner from 2009-2021 (with the exception of Cavan) to win this. Scoring 1-18, 3-12 and 1-16. Decent returns for a dull dour defensive team  :o
Think its 4wks now until the next game and I believe we can't meet a team we've faced already in the QF which is a bonus.
Ulster League Champions 2009

JoeSoap

Quote from: Estimator on May 30, 2022, 11:15:53 AM
Derry beat every Anglo-Celt winner from 2009-2021 (with the exception of Cavan) to win this. Scoring 1-18, 3-12 and 1-16. Decent returns for a dull dour defensive team  :o
Think its 4wks now until the next game and I believe we can't meet a team we've faced already in the QF which is a bonus.

Is that so? What an opportunity for Derry - I would fancy you heavily to beat anyone left in the qualifiers especially if you take Tyrone, Monaghan and Donegal out of it (and there's no reason you wouldn't beat any of us again as well). Really it's just Mayo you'd want to watch out for in the quarters but I would fancy Derry to beat them.

Our best hope in Donegal is to draw one of the Div 2 sides in the qualifiers to try and get the win and then hopefully get Galway in the quarters. Not saying we would beat Galway but without doubt the best draw remaining.

screenexile

Are you sure that's right?? I thought it was an open draw.

marty34

Quote from: screenexile on May 30, 2022, 11:31:44 AM

I'd say most teams would fancy playing Limerick.

Estimator

Quote from: screenexile on May 30, 2022, 11:31:44 AM

quote author=GAABoardMod5 link=topic=30761.msg2126639#msg2126639 date=1653894886]
Quote from: FermGael on May 30, 2022, 08:08:29 AM
GaaboardMod5 quick question.

Is it an open draw for the quarter final pairing ?

From the GAA booklet thingy....hopefully the make the draw and venue announcement on the Monday after Rd 2 (13 June) to allow fans plan travel and so on.

"All-Ireland Series
Quarter-Finals
25-26.06.2022 (Sat/Sun)
(Four Games)

Each of the four Provincial Final Winners shall play against one of the four Winners of Round 2.  Draw is Subject to Provincial Final Winners avoiding defeated finalists from their own Province in this Round and to the avoidance of repeat pairings where possible.

Venues for Quarter-Finals shall be determined by the Central Competitions Control Committee."
[/quote]

Took this from the Sam Qualifiers thread
Ulster League Champions 2009

screenexile

Good stuff!

Would some headache if Donegal Tyrone and Monaghan all get through!!

J70

Quote from: JoeSoap on May 30, 2022, 10:07:21 AM

I was frustrated that Donegal didn't react to Rogers. Put Murphy inside for a sustained long period and see how Rogers and Derry reacts to that.

Rogers was absolutely sensational no doubt about that. Just from a Donegal POV frustrating not to see some reaction to how he was influencing the game.

Maybe there IS something to Rory Gallagher's quip about Murphy being the manager. Maybe Murphy just doesn't WANT to go inside? I've heard Bonner say before he leaves it up to himself to decide when he's out there.

I was at this point two years ago, but Bonner has to step down now. He has done sterling work for Donegal football, particularly in bringing all those players through over the last decade, but the senior team is just not progressing under him any more.

But... is there anyone in the county who can make a decent fist of it? If not, who do we bring in? Rochford himself? I'd love to know what exactly his role is, as his Mayo and Corofin teams were superb at all aspects of the game. I can't believe we don't have the players to make more of an impact than we currently are with this ultra-slow, lateral passing shite we've been at the past 18 months. When Bonner came in first, we were playing fast, quick-passing football, with runners coming in from all angles to create space. Now were are just being herded into blind alleys along the sideline, akin to the very worst of what we were doing in 2016/2017 under Rory Gallagher, having to just go back and forth across the field and hope that Mogan or Ban manage to punch a hole in the barricade.

I'm delighted for Derry, and pleased to see another team challenging for and from Ulster, but at this moment, I just want the season to be over and for us to move on to the next era, whatever that will be. Because Donegal legend he may be and will always be, Bonner is not sorting out our problems at this stage. Its the same thing over and over again, and I honestly don't know if I can be bothered watching us come unstuck in the same old manner against a skillful, physical team like Mayo in the qualifiers.

marty34

Quote from: J70 on May 30, 2022, 12:55:57 PM
Quote from: JoeSoap on May 30, 2022, 10:07:21 AM

Maybe there IS something to Rory Gallagher's quip about Murphy being the manager. Maybe Murphy just doesn't WANT to go inside? I've heard Bonner say before he leaves it up to himself to decide when he's out there.

I was at this point two years ago, but Bonner has to step down now. He has done sterling work for Donegal football, particularly in bringing all those players through over the last decade, but the senior team is just not progressing under him any more.

But... is there anyone in the county who can make a decent fist of it? If not, who do we bring in? Rochford himself? I'd love to know what exactly his role is, as his Mayo and Corofin teams were superb at all aspects of the game. I can't believe we don't have the players to make more of an impact than we currently are with this ultra-slow, lateral passing shite we've been at the past 18 months. When Bonner came in first, we were playing fast, quick-passing football, with runners coming in from all angles to create space. Now were are just being herded into blind alleys along the sideline, akin to the very worst of what we were doing in 2016/2017 under Rory Gallagher, having to just go back and forth across the field and hope that Mogan or Ban manage to punch a hole in the barricade.

I'm delighted for Derry, and pleased to see another team challenging for and from Ulster, but at this moment, I just want the season to be over and for us to move on to the next era, whatever that will be. Because Donegal legend he may be and will always be, Bonner is not sorting out our problems at this stage. Its the same thing over and over again, and I honestly don't know if I can be bothered watching us come unstuck in the same old manner against a skillful, physical team like Mayo in the qualifiers.

Good point re: Murphy.

Heard a few whimpers that he runs the show and that would explain things a bit.

Hard to implement a plan around that.

With Murphy on the square, they have enough rangy mid-fielders to built a platform on both sets of kick-outs.

J70

Especially when in a game like yesterday he's mostly not doing anything that even someone of my own personal very limited ability couldn't do.

At various points he was the last player back apart from Patton, just fisting the ball off laterally to someone else.

Murphy is by far our best player to see and pick out a kick pass into a forward, and it would be fine if he was doing that, but I can't remember him doing that once yesterday. Other days he can do that. Yesterday he couldn't, so it was an utter waste to leave him out the field doing basic shit that anyone could do. I'm not saying put him in around the square all the time - he kicked two great scores from play, one of which he created himself by winning a kick-out, but as has been said, leaving him out the field on balance just played in Rodgers' and Derry's hands.