European Leagues.

Started by laoislad, August 11, 2012, 10:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Klopp will go to bed tonight with a smile on his face knowing his side should gain revenge for the 2018 final defeat to Real Madrid.

Manchester City in the Champions league would remind you of Mayo in All-Ireland finals. Games there to be won yet find ways to lose them.

Milltown Row2

Now wearing 14 on their backs!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

From the Bunker

Quote from: laoislad on May 04, 2022, 10:36:00 PM
Man City hadn't the bottle for it in extra time.
European Royalty face off in the Final.
Gonna be tough for Liverpool.

Great to be playing anyone other than City. We've had enough of them this season.
This won't be as handy a final as many think!

God, Grealish was absolutely useless. Should have scored 2. And when the game became a game he hopped around looking fancy with no end product!

Wildweasel74

It was 2 very poor goals to give away at the death, slack defending.

Milltown Row2

Stevie please shut up!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 04, 2022, 10:51:19 PM
Stevie please shut up!!
Even when pitchside he can't stop shouting as if he's still commentating  ;D

From the Bunker

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 04, 2022, 10:47:28 PM

Same slack defending as the 1st leg and before those two late goals they were lucky that Real Madrid didn't score a few goals.

Man City favourites for the last number of years and continues to flatter to deceive in the Champions league. They simply aren't good enough collectively in defence regardless of the huge money they have spent on defenders. Then you have Guardiola a great domestic league manager who over thinks things in this competition since his last success back in 2011.

Armamike

Tradition counts for a lot.  Absolute sickener for Man City. Hopefully it will them a while to get it out of their system.  Can't imagine they'll sleep very well the next few nights.

Real will be a big threat and obviously won't lie down.  But I'd take them in the final over City.
That's just, like your opinion man.

screenexile

Quote from: Armamike on May 05, 2022, 12:46:18 AM
Tradition counts for a lot.  Absolute sickener for Man City. Hopefully it will them a while to get it out of their system.  Can't imagine they'll sleep very well the next few nights.

Real will be a big threat and obviously won't lie down.  But I'd take them in the final over City.

Unless you're Man U  ;D ;D

johnnycool

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 05, 2022, 12:29:49 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 04, 2022, 10:47:28 PM

Same slack defending as the 1st leg and before those two late goals they were lucky that Real Madrid didn't score a few goals.

Man City favourites for the last number of years and continues to flatter to deceive in the Champions league. They simply aren't good enough collectively in defence regardless of the huge money they have spent on defenders. Then you have Guardiola a great domestic league manager who over thinks things in this competition since his last success back in 2011.

Fair bit of truth in that.
Walker kept Vini Jnr quiet for most of the game before going off injured, Stones missing, having to bring on Fernandino and him well past his best.
There's a reliance on DeBryne for that spark and whilst he wasn't at his best last night taking him off was a big statement.

RM were pants until the young guns came on and all seem to have serious pace, but City really needed to be smarter and foul the hell out of them just like RM did when they took the lead...

Expect some serious cash to be spent this summer in Manchester and I'm not talking about the Glazers...

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: screenexile on May 05, 2022, 08:44:11 AM
Quote from: Armamike on May 05, 2022, 12:46:18 AM

Unless you're Man U  ;D ;D

Tradition,  blah, blah, blah. I have had it thrown back at me by numerous people that tradition means nothing. Last night was the epitome of a 'tradition' win. I know from my own playing days the colour of the jersey or the badge on it spooks teams with no tradition. We always felt we could win any game if we were within a score or 3 of the opposition, no matter how long was left. And by times we actual used it to our advantage and reminded opposition players that we could do it!  Madrid are that type of a team.

Fascinating final and it's amazing how the wheels turn. We played and beat Madrid in Paris in 1981. I know there are a few other 'coincidences' but cannot be holed looking for it. The fear I have is that this could be a case of 'name on the cup' for Madrid. They have the knack of winning games they should lose and Carlo is a canny operator. With the league won they can coast through the next few weeks in preparation whereas we have to be going all out for 5 games before the final. Maybe there is the benefit in that as we will hopefully have match sharpness. Who knows.

The fall out for City will be interesting to observe. They are still favourites for the league but they now look like having lost Walker, Stones and Laporte from their defence. De Bruyne is carry an injury. The weekend will be interesting. We go against Spurs on Saturday night. Anfield will be rocking and the team will be on a high. They play a resurgent Newcastle who have the chance to push up another spot in the table. They won't make European spots but top 10 is where they are and they will want to consolidate that. Mentally it will be interesting how City react if we beat Spurs and they are going into that game in 2nd. Still think they will win the League but ye never know!!!

imtommygunn

If City win nothing  then it's an absolute flop of a season. Pep would not be very popular with the owners. Tbh I am not sure he will be after last night anyway. I dunno about tradition - Pep almost always seems to find a way to lose these big european games. They were maybe unfortunate in parts too but that doesn't mask the lack of character shown in extra time.

Armamike

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 05, 2022, 09:34:10 AM
If City win nothing  then it's an absolute flop of a season. Pep would not be very popular with the owners. Tbh I am not sure he will be after last night anyway. I dunno about tradition - Pep almost always seems to find a way to lose these big european games. They were maybe unfortunate in parts too but that doesn't mask the lack of character shown in extra time.

There are big question marks over Pep at this level.  He has underachieved with Bayern and City. City should never have allowed themselves to have been beaten by Chelsea last year.

Tradition creates belief.  How else can we explain Liverpool in 2005, 3 nil down against a far superior team.  There's no way Liverpool would have had the belief or power of will to come back from that if the club's history didn't factor in the players' minds.  Same for Man U in 1999.
That's just, like your opinion man.

imtommygunn

While Real's comeback was great it was a balls up by City. Real were pretty limited for good parts of that match and should have been put away. City weren't ruthless enough.