Started by Mayo4Sam14, August 04, 2019, 10:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublin7

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 05, 2019, 09:41:55 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on August 05, 2019, 09:33:19 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 05, 2019, 09:21:32 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on August 05, 2019, 09:20:11 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 05, 2019, 09:12:58 PM
Dean Rock hasn't played much football, what's the story there?
Missed most of the league through injury and Gavin stuck with Costello for the championship based on league form

Would you be concerned about that for the season going forward?
Not at all. Was available for Leinster championship, but he couldn't make the 1st 15 ahead of Costello. Has beem on fire from open play and frees last 2 games he started. What's more disappointing is Costello's dip in form from the league.

Not to be too dismissive, I know very well the talent Rock has, but it's a lot easier to put over scores  coming on when the games more less over and your padding the score. Mayo are going to bring intensity at the least and it could be hard to come back into with little games played.
Dublin have won games comfortably this season, but at the start of the last few games when they have been competitive Rock has looked good from play/frees. He has never been one of Dublin pacier forwards so he has to work that bit harder for his scores than the likes of Mannion who just makes space with his pace. His form together with Cotello's dip means he will start next Saturday night and lack of previous starts won't be an issue

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: dublin7 on August 05, 2019, 09:55:23 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 05, 2019, 09:41:55 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on August 05, 2019, 09:33:19 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 05, 2019, 09:21:32 PM
Dean Rock hasn't played much football, what's the story there?
Missed most of the league through injury and Gavin stuck with Costello for the championship based on league form

Would you be concerned about that for the season going forward?
Not at all. Was available for Leinster championship, but he couldn't make the 1st 15 ahead of Costello. Has beem on fire from open play and frees last 2 games he started. What's more disappointing is Costello's dip in form from the league.

Not to be too dismissive, I know very well the talent Rock has, but it's a lot easier to put over scores  coming on when the games more less over and your padding the score. Mayo are going to bring intensity at the least and it could be hard to come back into with little games played.
Dublin have won games comfortably this season, but at the start of the last few games when they have been competitive Rock has looked good from play/frees. He has never been one of Dublin pacier forwards so he has to work that bit harder for his scores than the likes of Mannion who just makes space with his pace. His form together with Cotello's dip means he will start next Saturday night and lack of previous starts won't be an issue

When was the last game he started?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Cunny Funt

Dean Rock hasn’t played much football, what’s the story there?

Dean Rock started all bar 1 of the Dublin's 7 NFL games this year and was their top scoring forward once again i think only Sean O'Shea scored more.  Rock i believe got a hamstring injury in June that ruled him out of the opening championship games.

imtommygunn

inroundthesquare

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 05, 2019, 10:15:23 PM
I could see him displacing Costello.

He has already. Scored 1-11 against Roscommon.
Expect Dublin to keep the same 15 as the Roscommon game. That leaves out Cian O'Sullivan who may have lost his place after his performance in the Cork game

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: inroundthesquare on August 05, 2019, 10:27:40 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 05, 2019, 10:15:23 PM
I could see him displacing Costello.

He has already. Scored 1-11 against Roscommon.
Expect Dublin to keep the same 15 as the Roscommon game. That leaves out Cian O'Sullivan who may have lost his place after his performance in the Cork game

Did Rock start against Roscommon? I know he wasn't named but can't remember if he came in before throw in

moysider

Rock a defo starter imo.

It's a shame Mayo are f**ked up with injury and the scheduling or this could have got very interesting indeed.

Doherty's done his cruciate apparently. We get one soldier back and we lose another. Doherty was motm until the injury. Darren Coen's drop in form is like losing another.

Dublin has had a 3 week lead up into this with a useful kickabout v Tyrone along the way.
We went to the bottom of the well again to beat Donegal. It's a mission impossible to recover from that both mentally and physically. The gobshites who decided this timetable of events must never have competed in any sport at any level.

Mayo's old guard look in rude good health though which makes the injuries to younger guns so bloody frustrating.
Also frustrating is that some of the Dublin old guard look through to me. Lads that damaged Mayo and others for years. I'm not convinced that some of the Dublin newer players are as good or as tried and tested as the Bernard Brogans etc.
Unfortunately I dont think we are healthy enough to push them enough to crack them.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: moysider on August 05, 2019, 10:42:37 PM
Rock a defo starter imo.

It's a shame Mayo are f**ked up with injury and the scheduling or this could have got very interesting indeed.

Doherty's done his cruciate apparently. We get one soldier back and we lose another. Doherty was motm until the injury. Darren Coen's drop in form is like losing another.

Dublin has had a 3 week lead up into this with a useful kickabout v Tyrone along the way.
We went to the bottom of the well again to beat Donegal. It's a mission impossible to recover from that both mentally and physically. The gobshites who decided this timetable of events must never have competed in any sport at any level.

Mayo's old guard look in rude good health though which makes the injuries to younger guns so bloody frustrating.
Also frustrating is that some of the Dublin old guard look through to me. Lads that damaged Mayo and others for years. I'm not convinced that some of the Dublin newer players are as good or as tried and tested as the Bernard Brogans etc.
Unfortunately I dont think we are healthy enough to push them enough to crack them.

Other way to look at that is Mayo will be up to the intensity while Dublin may be coming in a bit cold

thewobbler

Please don't throw the "it's an amateur game" line at me here, because if that's the case then the fitness levels required should be amateur too.

So here goes: NFL playoffs. FIFA world cups, rugby world cups. All of them demand weekly or less matches in the knockout stages.

Why do the men playing our sport need more than a week to "mentally prepare" for their seasonal goals?

Imho it's absolute nonsense. Put two weeks between the matches and it means our amateurs training another 4 times, including a training weekend away from family, whilst getting fed horseshit pep talks one after the other from all the bluffers who GAA managers are obsessed with adding on.

——

Coen has been up and down all year. Hopefully he catches an upper at the weekend.

——

Regarding Rock, there is absolutely no chance that Galvin lines out without his chief gun on Saturday.

moysider

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 05, 2019, 10:46:02 PM
Quote from: moysider on August 05, 2019, 10:42:37 PM
Rock a defo starter imo.

Other way to look at that is Mayo will be up to the intensity while Dublin may be coming in a bit cold

No chance.

Remember the state of us in Killarney after the effort against Galway in Limerick anybody?
It is not on. It would be like a top marathon runner doing a personal best and doing another PB on a tougher course a week later. Some things just do not happen.
The guys that scheduled this championship are obviously clowns that wouldn't be competent with a model train timetable. Anybody that thinks Mayo can win next weekend is.........

Sportacus

Quote from: thewobbler on August 05, 2019, 10:51:52 PM
Please don't throw the "it's an amateur game" line at me here, because if that's the case then the fitness levels required should be amateur too.

So here goes: NFL playoffs. FIFA world cups, rugby world cups. All of them demand weekly or less matches in the knockout stages.

Why do the men playing our sport need more than a week to "mentally prepare" for their seasonal goals?

Imho it's absolute nonsense. Put two weeks between the matches and it means our amateurs training another 4 times, including a training weekend away from family, whilst getting fed horseshit pep talks one after the other from all the bluffers who GAA managers are obsessed with adding on.

——

Coen has been up and down all year. Hopefully he catches an upper at the weekend.

——

Regarding Rock, there is absolutely no chance that Galvin lines out without his chief gun on Saturday.
I kinda know where you're coming from Wobbler, look at tennis!  I had a chat one time with an international rugby player and he was talking a lot about them scheduling in x amount of sleep on the run up to games.  Sleeping mid afternoons, after tea, that type of thing.  Rest was absolutely crucial to their preparation.  Presumably Mayo will take it very easy this week, get maximum rest, and they should be in a great place to rattle Dublin because their games have been proper championship stuff.  BUT, when it gets to 60 minutes Dublin will still be motoring and will probably find another gear.  Will the tiredness in the Mayo legs kick in then?  That's when the 6 day issue could really hurt.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Sportacus on August 05, 2019, 11:03:48 PM
...  BUT, when it gets to 60 minutes Dublin will still be motoring and will probably find another gear.  Will the tiredness in the Mayo legs kick in then?  That's when the 6 day issue could really hurt.

BUT, Dublin have the 6 day turnaround *, not Mayo (7 days rest)?

* Though that was the Dub's B-Team, for sure.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

moysider

——

——

The bit in bold. I can agree with some of it.
When David Clarke ( out with injured ribs) was seen out with his kids in local playground on Saturday afternoon the rumour went viral that he had been dropped and quit. How sad is that? Why wouldn't he spend time off with his family.

The scheduling is still a mess though. With the Super8s there is always the possibility that some teams will be qualified after 2 games and rest up. Other teams having to slog it out the last day. 2 weeks between the 8s and the semis would have kept a bit of fairness in it.
Dublin have had the chance now to get 2 proper weeks training in and a tapering week this week. Perfect. Mayo on the other hand have to readjust mentally after Donegal win and try and recover tired legs. There is a hell of a difference between tapering and recovery.
If Dublin don't win this comfortably you can tear up every training manual book out there.

moysider

Quote from: Sportacus on August 05, 2019, 11:03:48 PM

——

——

I kinda know where you're coming from Wobbler, look at tennis!  I had a chat one time with an international rugby player and he was talking a lot about them scheduling in x amount of sleep on the run up to games.  Sleeping mid afternoons, after tea, that type of thing.  Rest was absolutely crucial to their preparation.  Presumably Mayo will take it very easy this week, get maximum rest, and they should be in a great place to rattle Dublin because their games have been proper championship stuff.  BUT, when it gets to 60 minutes Dublin will still be motoring and will probably find another gear.  Will the tiredness in the Mayo legs kick in then?  That's when the 6 day issue could really hurt.

Getting places here.
Players will be working and driving this week - not sleeping as much as they should.
I don't want to labour the point too much but even if we park the Mayo injuries aside, we are on a hiding to nothing.
If this was a horse race and Dublin and Mayo were rated evenly with the handicappers, Dublin's advantage from their ease into this race would see them win by several lengths.

thewobbler

It's all blather folks.

Reminds me of the early days of the back door when everyone was giving off about how the provincial champions were at a disadvantage due to a lack of competitive action, then a year later, they enjoy too strong an advantage due to the additional rest they were getting.

It's like nobody can accept that sometimes the only thing that beats you is a better team.

Reality dose: there are no advantages here for either side. Another week might have helped with Mayo injuries, but then again they might have lost a couple of players to training injuries.

Meanwhile for all their 3 weeks of tapering, Jim Gavin only found out at 6pm I'm Sunday when his next match was. He could not have used the previous 2 weeks of training in prep for Mayo as he'd no idea who it was against.

But I'll tell you something. He made sure his hardened old warriors got plenty of game time on Sunday. He wouldn't have done that had Donegal won. He knows this one is going to be a physical battle and his young fellas might not have it in them yet. And he's only got 6 days to work out which way to throw that dice.