Russia invades Ukraine Feb 2022

Started by Main Street, February 12, 2022, 09:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 13, 2023, 11:45:40 PMThats more than Russia lost in Afghanistan, and other uprisings since WW2.its funny on US complaining about funding the Ukraine, when guns and heavy weapons are Coming out of their ears in that country.

Complaining about funding but it is primarily an accountancy trick. The US has a lot of servicable equipment that is end of life. They would need to pay to have it destroyed but when it is transferred to Ukraine it is at full book value.

armaghniac

Quote from: LeoMc on December 14, 2023, 11:25:36 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 13, 2023, 11:45:40 PMThats more than Russia lost in Afghanistan, and other uprisings since WW2.its funny on US complaining about funding the Ukraine, when guns and heavy weapons are Coming out of their ears in that country.

Complaining about funding but it is primarily an accountancy trick. The US has a lot of servicable equipment that is end of life. They would need to pay to have it destroyed but when it is transferred to Ukraine it is at full book value.

Exactly, The actual cash value transferred is a lot less. Yet, this stuff is very useful to Ukraine, a few 25 year old ATACMS blew up one quarter of the operational Russian helicopters, several anti aircraft batteries and their HQ. Those missiles would have to be disposed of otherwise.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

One follower of mine on twitter follows them. Let's just say if he's believing them I would have my doubts...

I read Zelensky was looking 500k more soldiers. Not sure non military ukranian men would love that.

armaghniac

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 20, 2023, 07:22:59 PMOne follower of mine on twitter follows them. Let's just say if he's believing them I would have my doubts...

I read Zelensky was looking 500k more soldiers. Not sure non military ukranian men would love that.

They might not like it, but they might not like being occupied by the Russians either.

imtommygunn

They would be pretty aware of that prospect and have chosen thus far not to join already though... Dunno what way that will go or whether just made up.

armaghniac

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 20, 2023, 08:07:48 PMThey would be pretty aware of that prospect and have chosen thus far not to join already though... Dunno what way that will go or whether just made up.

Robust conscription is pretty usual in wars.

seafoid

The Ukraine push into the Donbas over 2023 failed. They need better weapons to make a difference now.
Financial Times were thinking that EU membership is a catrrot in return for the loss of some territory in Eastern Ukraine at some point.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

armaghniac

Quote from: seafoid on December 21, 2023, 09:48:20 AMThe Ukraine push into the Donbas over 2023 failed. They need better weapons to make a difference now.
Financial Times were thinking that EU membership is a catrrot in return for the loss of some territory in Eastern Ukraine at some point.

Losing territory in the Donbas is not a cure. Putin does not have the objective of capturing a few worn out industrial areas in the Donbas, and giving him them to him will not solve the problem.

seafoid

There was an article in the French paper le Monde about Russian prisoner conscripts. They are sent into impossible situations. If they get injured they are left to die. If they die nobody collects the body. It sounds like hell.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

armaghniac

Quote from: seafoid on December 21, 2023, 04:43:13 PMThere was an article in the French paper le Monde about Russian prisoner conscripts. They are sent into impossible situations. If they get injured they are left to die. If they die nobody collects the body. It sounds like hell.

The Ukrainians make a slightly better effort and are closer to their home territory to medical treatment. They had some NATO medical stuff which helps too. The Irish government could usefully fork out some more money for medical kits and the like.

Sportacus

Quote from: seafoid on December 21, 2023, 04:43:13 PMThere was an article in the French paper le Monde about Russian prisoner conscripts. They are sent into impossible situations. If they get injured they are left to die. If they die nobody collects the body. It sounds like hell.
I was watching the WWII documentary on Netflix and the Russian doctrine was to throw bodies at it. 500,000 killed here, 300,000 killed there. Their losses were colossal but they win in the end.
Nothing much has changed, they'll just keep endlessly shipping young men to the frontline because they can.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Sportacus on December 22, 2023, 08:32:52 AM
I was watching the WWII documentary on Netflix and the Russian doctrine was to throw bodies at it. 500,000 killed here, 300,000 killed there. Their losses were colossal but they win in the end.
Nothing much has changed, they'll just keep endlessly shipping young men to the frontline because they can.

That was fine back in the day when people still had big families and the population was booming. Russia is similar to the rest of the western world and facing a demographic time bomb. Losing hundreds of thousands of young men just accelerates it.

Eire90

American youtuber gonzalo lira coach redpill found dead in ukraine in police custody.