Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: omagh_gael on May 22, 2018, 08:09:32 AM
Quote from: SkillfulBill on May 21, 2018, 10:29:34 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on May 21, 2018, 10:18:31 PM
Quote from: straightred on May 21, 2018, 10:10:08 PM
Quote from: SkillfulBill on May 21, 2018, 09:50:34 PM
Quote from: rrhf on May 21, 2018, 09:23:08 PM
Monaghan are in the top 3 teams in Ireland at the moment, and deserve more respect than even that clown Main Street gives them. They had a massive win yesterday. One move that might have won the game for Tyrone would have been petie to the full forward line when Bradley went off and r Brennan in. I'd drop any half back or half forward who can't play a 30 pass to the full forward line or who thinks they are a better forward than Mc aliskey or Brennan. After yesterday I don't think Tyrone's full forward line is a problem. It's the players who think they can contribute more by taking the extra solo 50 yards out.
Tyrone will regroup and win the all Ireland if Harte adapts and pulls in a few form players from the club scene. The super 8s will knock the shit out of. Lot of teams this year so will the qualifiers.  The most flexible manager and squad usage will do well. Smells like 08. I'm growing the beard.

Never mind growing a beard you had better get a clown suit on if you think that Monaghan are a top 3 team and Tyrone will win an All Ireland again with Harte at the helm. Delusional stuff.

okay i'll bite. Who are the 3 above them on the evidence of this year. I'll give you Dublin and Kerry but that's it for the time being anyway

Galway

I would go as follows untill Monaghan beat some one of significance in Croke Park

Dublin
Kerry
Galway
Mayo
Monaghan

but if it makes you feel nice and warm to think a team who haven't been to even an All Ireland Semi in recent Years as top 3 then knock yourself out.

Yet you include Galway in your top three even though they've yet to beat anyone in Croke Park in recent years and haven't been to a semi final since (I think) 2001?
The only rankings that matter are the ones that will be generally agreed upon after the championship is finished, particularly given that it will be far easier to assess this year with all the extra games in the Super 8 round robin. The only certainty the past few years is that Dublin are number one.
Personally I don't think that Galway can be included in the top 3 teams in the country based on the past 3 years of championship and league form which has been patchy in both quality and consistency, there was better levels of consistency in the league this year to be fair but there's a long way to go yet in this championship.

seafoid

Monaghan are in the top 3 teams in Ireland at the moment, and deserve more respect than even that clown Main Street gives them. They had a massive win yesterday. One move that might have won the game for Tyrone would have been petie to the full forward line when Bradley went off and r Brennan in. I'd drop any half back or half forward who can't play a 30 pass to the full forward line or who thinks they are a better forward than Mc aliskey or Brennan. After yesterday I don't think Tyrone's full forward line is a problem. It's the players who think they can contribute more by taking the extra solo 50 yards out.
Tyrone will regroup and win the all Ireland if Harte adapts and pulls in a few form players from the club scene. The super 8s will knock the shit out of. Lot of teams this year so will the qualifiers.  The most flexible manager and squad usage will do well. Smells like 08. I'm growing the beard.

Never mind growing a beard you had better get a clown suit on if you think that Monaghan are a top 3 team and Tyrone will win an All Ireland again with Harte at the helm. Delusional stuff.

okay i'll bite. Who are the 3 above them on the evidence of this year. I'll give you Dublin and Kerry but that's it for the time being anyway

Galway

I would go as follows untill Monaghan beat some one of significance in Croke Park

Dublin
Kerry
Galway
Mayo
Monaghan

but if it makes you feel nice and warm to think a team who haven't been to even an All Ireland Semi in recent Years as top 3 then knock yourself out.

Yet you include Galway in your top three even though they've yet to beat anyone in Croke Park in recent years and haven't been to a semi final since (I think) 2001?
They beat Kildare in the D2 final last year in CP. But they haven't got any sort of record other than beating Mayo three years on the trot and then losing badly to Tipp and Kerry in 16 and 17 . This year will tell a lot
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Maroon Manc

Quote from: trailer on May 21, 2018, 05:09:21 PM
Quote from: gallsman on May 21, 2018, 05:05:29 PM
Quote from: trailer on May 21, 2018, 04:38:28 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on May 21, 2018, 03:29:34 PM
Hard to know how to feel about RoN, he did nothing of note at all when introduced but again problems may further out the field. However, McAliskey played very well and made opportunities for himself.

Conal McCann
was disappointing when he came in. Gave away a very cheap ball and lost another when he had a five yard headstart on the Monaghan men. Nearly sure the later ended In a Monaghan score.

Still think the back door could do us no harm. As long as the draw is kind enough it can give the panel more opportunities to stretch their legs and givethe likes of Colm more chance to get the game time built up. As always though the safety net is gone, might be the kick up the arse some of our lads need.

Not Senior inter county standard.

At least he's sorted out the hair. Pity we can't say the same about a few of the Monaghan backstreet boys.

Tbf the Monaghan no.12 with the grey highlights (name escapes me) had a pretty good game. Got on a lot of ball.

That was Dessie Ward who was taken off 5 minutes into the 2nd half, thought he was poor and ran into trouble several times during the 1st half.

straightred

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 22, 2018, 08:56:20 AM

Galway

Dublin
Kerry
Galway
Mayo
Monaghan

The only rankings that matter are the ones that will be generally agreed upon after the championship is finished, particularly given that it will be far easier to assess this year with all the extra games in the Super 8 round robin. The only certainty the past few years is that Dublin are number one.
Personally I don't think that Galway can be included in the top 3 teams in the country based on the past 3 years of championship and league form which has been patchy in both quality and consistency, there was better levels of consistency in the league this year to be fair but there's a long way to go yet in this championship.

agree with that. You'd think that the super 8 should come from the 8 div 1 teams plus the 2 newly promoted teams . I think cork and tipp also have a good chance specially given the softer route from Munster (less games - no round 1 qualifiers, avoiding kerry until the munster final). No such luxuries for Mayo, Tyrone or Cavan. I won't be surprised if none of these make it as it a long route compressed into a short number of weeks.

omagh_gael

Forgot about the league final last year, Seafoid. However, championship is where it is at. I think this year we're more likely to see a Monaghan or Galway in a semi final compared to Tyrone and Mayo last year.

On my point regarding the game. I agree it was good quality and definitely the best match of the year so far. However, it was very very flat on the terraces. I think there was one half arsed chant around the time a drew level in 2nd half. Maybe it was the rain, that was a bit shit to be honest!

WT4E

The game is won on small margins - had a chance to re watch some again yesterday evening - whilst Monaghan where the better side over the whole game there as some rubs of the green if Tyrone had got or if decisions by Tyrone players had been diffferent maybe Tyrone could have walked away with a steal.

Why Hugh Pat shot from a crazy angle with the right boot on the left footed side - if he reworked it and got ahead would the game have turned out different
I don't believe it was a free for McManus free that put Monaghan 1 ahead

In saying that I know Monaghan could have had a penalty and Morgan could have been sent off too. Into the bargain Drew Wylie should have seen black early on.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: WT4E on May 22, 2018, 10:02:21 AM
The game is won on small margins - had a chance to re watch some again yesterday evening - whilst Monaghan where the better side over the whole game there as some rubs of the green if Tyrone had got or if decisions by Tyrone players had been diffferent maybe Tyrone could have walked away with a steal.

Why Hugh Pat shot from a crazy angle with the right boot on the left footed side - if he reworked it and got ahead would the game have turned out different

In saying that I know Monaghan could have had a penalty and Morgan could have been sent off too. Into the bargain Drew Wylie should have seen black early on.

It was soft but that was the case all day, as for Drew Wylie he was very lucky not to get a black card but not to get even a yellow was a joke;  The Monaghan player would have had a goal chance.

trileacman

I've seen us rode out of championship with tougher refs so I can have no complaints with the ref. He let a fair bit go but was equal in his treatment of both sides. That's exactly what you want. I'd have to say the game was refereed excellently.

Wylie and Morgan both could have walked. Burns had a neck high pull down in the 1st half that could have been black with a sissy ref. Dessie Ward ran into the defence a few times and won nothing. Likewise Karl o Connell or Duffy at the far end ran 60 metres and was bundled over late in the 2nd half and got nothing. Burns in the 1st half done exactly the same thing and got no free, both defences rode their luck..

The only thing I could say he missed was the abuse directed at Harte off the ball. You could see Colm Cavanagh remonstrate with the sideline official at the end of the 1st half about it and it was clearly a pre planned tactic to disrupt Peter. Not saying we didn't do the same, I'm sure Skeet and cathal has plenty to say all day but it's a factor of the game I'd like stamped out especially when it's all going one way.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Unlaoised

Watched full game on the BBC player last night I thought Monaghan were full value for their win but they did get the rub of the green on a few calls expect that Morgan should have got his marching orders!
LAOIS ABÚ

oakleaflad

Quote from: WT4E on May 22, 2018, 10:02:21 AM

Quote from: Unlaoised on May 22, 2018, 10:51:32 AM
Watched full game on the BBC player last night I thought Monaghan were full value for their win but they did get the rub of the green on a few calls expect that Morgan should have got his marching orders!

The 45 Tyrone got leading to their goal too looked to be a wide.

GrandMasterFlash

What are the thoughts on Mairtin Beag's revelations yesterday: https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0521/964991-mchugh-mickey-harte-is-really-under-pressure/

"The home work the management has done has been great. Malachy O'Rourke and Ryan Porter weren't going to games in Monaghan to look for players. They went to Tyrone club matches to see what they could pick up instead."

"That's the level management has gone to. They won the battle on the sideline hands down by doing things like that."

Is this on a par with Devenney's pubic assertion that McManus was not gonna feature or does Martin just like to say something different for the sake of it?

Would MOR and Ryan Porter have spent time (unnoticed) at Tyrone league games, really?  ???

Jinxy

I've previously heard Martin say three different contradictory things in the space of a single sentence.
I wouldn't pay too much heed to him.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

southtyronegael

I remember backing Tyrone at 20/1 after our first round exit to down in 2008. Wont be putting a penny on them this time though.

square_ball

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on May 22, 2018, 01:45:55 PM
What are the thoughts on Mairtin Beag's revelations yesterday: https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0521/964991-mchugh-mickey-harte-is-really-under-pressure/

"The home work the management has done has been great. Malachy O'Rourke and Ryan Porter weren't going to games in Monaghan to look for players. They went to Tyrone club matches to see what they could pick up instead."

"That's the level management has gone to. They won the battle on the sideline hands down by doing things like that."

Is this on a par with Devenney's pubic assertion that McManus was not gonna feature or does Martin just like to say something different for the sake of it?

Would MOR and Ryan Porter have spent time (unnoticed) at Tyrone league games, really?  ???

I'd safely say that is a load of nonsense. I honestly don't know what they would gain or learn by going to Tyrone club league games?