Gaillimh v Maigh Eo, Staid na Gaoithe, 1400, 10-Fea-2018

Started by macdanger2, February 05, 2018, 10:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

Galway as a whole haven't really put a decent number of good championship games back to back over the past few years but certainly Shane Walsh needs to be more consistent, a frustrating player to watch purely because of the level of ability he has.

Within the league, the Mayo and Tyrone games were relatively comfortable wins, Donegal game could have gone either way. We won't know until the summer is over how the whole year will pan out, would be incredibly unlucky to get relegated from Division One at this stage so that's aim one for the year probably ticked off. Galway need to get to the "Super 8" competition and compete, whether that's by the qualifiers route or as Connacht champions is much of a muchness.

Consensus from Mayo seems to be that once they get the full compliment of the their top players back and Galway have burnt themselves out from the league a la Roscommon 2016, the match on May 13th shouldn't be too much hassle, I hope it'll be more of a dogfight myself but certainly I don't think that Mayo will be as half cooked as they were in 2016 and to a lesser extent 2017, Mayo really need to go through the front door as I think it's becoming very apparent that they have an excellent first 15 that is capable of winning the big one but there is a fairly limited panel behind that. Last thing they need to more games to get to the final as in 2016 and 2017.

Maroon Manc

Kevin Walsh was on off the ball last night, he was on for a while but didn't really give much away. He talked about the importance of staying in Div 1 so make of that what you will. He talked a little abut Paddy Tally and how Mary's were his priority until they were out of the Sigerson so can't imagine he's spent too much time with the panel yet, from what I know about Tally I can't imagine he'd had anything to do with that kickout strategy.

He's annoyed about the criticism he's taken after the Tipp, Roscommon & kerry games in the last 2 years and deflecting from it by talking about promotion and the games against Mayo.

mouview

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 15, 2018, 09:50:40 AM
Kevin Walsh was on off the ball last night, he was on for a while but didn't really give much away. He talked about the importance of staying in Div 1 so make of that what you will. He talked a little abut Paddy Tally and how Mary's were his priority until they were out of the Sigerson so can't imagine he's spent too much time with the panel yet, from what I know about Tally I can't imagine he'd had anything to do with that kickout strategy.

He's annoyed about the criticism he's taken after the Tipp, Roscommon & kerry games in the last 2 years and deflecting from it by talking about promotion and the games against Mayo.

He's annoyed is he? As a Galway fan, I'm annoyed about the goalkeeping fiasco last year, the lack of a kickout strategy, the continuous selection of players out of their depth, the untimely and erroneous substitution policy, the heavy defeats in all of these (plus Donegal in 2015) games, the lack of courage against a tame Kerry side last year. Kevin needs to wake up and smell the coffee, Alan Mulholland did no worse and got lambasted for it.

seafoid

Quote from: mouview on February 15, 2018, 10:16:32 AM

If KW was a student I'd give him a C. Too many flops even though there have been promotion and those Mayo wins. The team should be further ahead at his stage. Abject surrender is  not acceptable.
He's annoyed is he? As a Galway fan, I'm annoyed about the goalkeeping fiasco last year, the lack of a kickout strategy, the continuous selection of players out of their depth, the untimely and erroneous substitution policy, the heavy defeats in all of these (plus Donegal in 2015) games, the lack of courage against a tame Kerry side last year. Kevin needs to wake up and smell the coffee, Alan Mulholland did no worse and got lambasted for it.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Syferus

Goalkeeping fiasco? Is there much better options than Lavelle or Power in Galway? Neither are what could be described as good goalkeepers.

Maroon Manc

I wouldn't agree with the Mulholland comparison as I thought he was completely out of his depth but agree with everything else. The mannner of those last 3 defeats has been appalling, its one thing losing to Kerry like that but the way Roscommon & Tipp dismantled Galway just isn't good enough.

I'm sick of naming him but there's one Galway forward who's got so much game time the last few years even though he's not one of the best 20 forwards in the county.

The Galway job is starting to look like a decent proposition for the first time in a long time, the vultures will be circling should Galway limp out of the championship like previous years.

magpie seanie

As we Sligo lads told ye Walsh is not a good manager but ye have a good group of players and the addition of Paddy Tally will be a big help. Tally might help him with his selection problems and shake up training a little. The big question is whether ye have put too much into surviving in Div1 and won't improve between now and the championship. Remains to be seen.

Orchard park

Quote from: Syferus on February 15, 2018, 01:19:57 PM

Goalkeeping fiasco? Is there much better options than Lavelle or Power in Galway? Neither are what could be described as good goalkeepers.

i suspect like ourselves its making the best out of a very limited goalkeeping pool

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 15, 2018, 01:51:18 PM

I wouldn't agree with the Mulholland comparison as I thought he was completely out of his depth but agree with everything else. The mannner of those last 3 defeats has been appalling, its one thing losing to Kerry like that but the way Roscommon & Tipp dismantled Galway just isn't good enough.

I'm sick of naming him but there's one Galway forward who's got so much game time the last few years even though he's not one of the best 20 forwards in the county.

The Galway job is starting to look like a decent proposition for the first time in a long time, the vultures will be circling should Galway limp out of the championship like previous years.

In fairness to Walsh Galway have made much more progress under him than Mulholland. If things turn bad this summer I can imagine the next Galway manager will be either John Divilly who is currently showing his worth with UCD or James Horan even though he claimed recently he wouldn't manage another county.

galwayman

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 15, 2018, 02:21:54 PM
As we Sligo lads told ye Walsh is not a good manager but ye have a good group of players and the addition of Paddy Tally will be a big help. Tally might help him with his selection problems and shake up training a little. The big question is whether ye have put too much into surviving in Div1 and won't improve between now and the championship. Remains to be seen.
Tally is only in with them for the last 3-4 weeks as he was unavailable until then.
He seems to be highly rated.

GalwayBayBoy

In fairness Walsh has been a big improvement over Mulholland but the thing is how much of this is down to him or just down to the fact that Galway have better quality players coming on stream now that they did when Mulholland was in charge and the young players that Mulholland had back then are now physically developed and are therefore better players now than they were then.

Is it the coaching or just better players? The eternal question. Sometimes a successful management job can be all about the timing and when you get the job. Mulholland was probably always on a loser when he took it. A team in transition and just about the only talented players he had were very young and staight out of underage. And expected to compete with a mature big physical team like Mayo in the province.

Syferus

How do you explain beating those mature physical Mayo teams and only beating little old Roscommon once in three tries? I think a lot of people have a suspicion that Galway can't live with Mayo if they come with their A game even now.

larryin89

Quote from: Syferus on February 15, 2018, 07:58:10 PM
How do you explain beating those mature physical Mayo teams and only beating little old Roscommon once in three tries? I think a lot of people have a suspicion that Galway can't live with Mayo if they come with their A game even now.

Im not sure thats true at all at this stage, Galway look to have our measure now. We are genuinely at the end of the road this time , this will be proven this year..They owe is nothing tbh been a fantastic few years , most of us didnt think it would last as long as it did. Personally thiught , when the final whistle blew in Limerick after ET  it was done and dusted . If they do happen to go on a run again in the summer , its beyond human .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Syferus on February 15, 2018, 07:58:10 PM
How do you explain beating those mature physical Mayo teams

Galway didn't beat them at first. They annihilated us in 2013. Beat us relatively handy in 2014. By 2015 the teams were a bit closer physically and Mayo won a tough game by 4 points after a freakish Galway own goal was the decisive score in the match. It was only on the 4th try that Galway actually managed to beat them.

seafoid

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 15, 2018, 06:37:33 PM

In fairness Walsh has been a big improvement over Mulholland but the thing is how much of this is down to him or just down to the fact that Galway have better quality players coming on stream now that they did when Mulholland was in charge and the young players that Mulholland had back then are now physically developed and are therefore better players now than they were then.

Is it the coaching or just better players? The eternal question. Sometimes a successful management job can be all about the timing and when you get the job. Mulholland was probably always on a loser when he took it. A team in transition and just about the only talented players he had were very young and staight out of underage. And expected to compete with a mature big physical team like Mayo in the province.
Normally a manager blending in under 21s or 20s into a team will have a cohort of older players in the mix from whom the young lads can learn. When Mulholland took over there were very few decent older players with experience. 
And galway were at a low ebb with a long series of being dumped out of the qfs early, usually by a single point

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU