Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Quote from: In hiding on June 08, 2019, 10:32:13 PM
OK then. One final question..

Who was cavanagh marking in his battle in the middle of the pitch

If you look back at the first goal you can see Cavanagh chasing Paddy McGrath back from the Donegal 45. Now what sort of sweeper is up in the opponents half pressing the ball. What sort of sweeper is running up into the opponents 6 yard box?

A sweeper sits, he plays in front of the full back line. The problem today with Tyrone was they were all charging around like headless chickens after the ball.

Cavanagh was bombing forward all first half, if he was doing his job as a sweeper he doesn't do that. We didn't deploy a sweeper, it was clear as day and to say we did is cloud cuckoo stuff.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

trueblue1234

Quote from: In hiding on June 08, 2019, 10:20:56 PM
Quote from: Angelo on June 08, 2019, 10:11:01 PM
Quote from: In hiding on June 08, 2019, 09:59:10 PM
Quote from: Angelo on June 08, 2019, 07:57:39 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on June 08, 2019, 07:39:52 PM
Angelo, harte has never took the rap for anything in his life. That was a disgrace. Why drop Cassidy? Rafferty started for skeet? Mc crory now a regular sub again? Wtf? Just when I thought harte had got his shit together he goes and makes a pile of needless changes and f**ks everything up. I'm fuckin ragin after that.

He made big, big calls in the starting side. They all were badly wrong.

The alarm bells were ringing in the Derry and Antrim games the way a few fist passes down the middle and a few bodies running there could tear us to shreds. You could forgive that as it was Derry and Antrim and I was naive enough to think we'll be much more reserved against Donegal - nope.

We played the same sort of tactics against Derry and Antrim as against Donegal, absolutely wide open we were. For those who were crying for us to play a more expansive game and go man on man with teams with deadly forwards and pace around the middle of the pitch - there was the evidence about the quality of defenders in our panel.

I have to say I've been very disappointed with McKernan of late, he's very much overrated. He's got good pace and power and likes to bomb forward but he got absolutely toasted by Brennan today, he got destroyed in the All Ireland final last year too.

McShane has been a good find at full forward but unless teams play open against you he is not going to be much use. Any ball we put in there today he had a host of bodies around him or it was cut out by the players playing in front of them. The difference today was Donegal had a defensive system and we did not.

I wouldn't get carried away if I was a Donegal fan though as despite how badly set up we were, the fact we had one of our best players wrongly black carded in the first half, the fact that many of our big players completely disappeared, the fact we were completely wiped out on kickouts and the fact we spurned three decent goal chances in the first half, we still only lost by 4.

It's a wake up call for Harte and the people who were looking for us to go toe to toe with the top teams though.
[/b][/b]

Strange analysis.

1st half Tyrone played with a sweeper in colm cavanagh, conceded all the kickouts dropped men back and were torn to shreds.

2nd half Tyrone took colm cavanagh off, pushed up on Donegal kickouts and won the second half by a score of 8 points to 5.

But sure you twist it whatever way you want

Strange analysis as Cavanagh played as an orthodox midfielder all first half. We didn't play any sweeper at all. How drunk were you watching that?

I honestly doubted if you knew anything about football but maybe it's just that your eyes don't work too good.
Are you saying cavanagh was marking Hugh mc fadden...
The donegal sweeper  :o
Cavanagh wasn't playing as a sweeper in the first half. He should have been. But he played as a standard MF.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

In hiding

Quote from: Angelo on June 08, 2019, 10:40:37 PM

If you look back at the first goal you can see Cavanagh chasing Paddy McGrath back from the Donegal 45. Now what sort of sweeper is up in the opponents half pressing the ball. What sort of sweeper is running up into the opponents 6 yard box?

A sweeper sits, he plays in front of the full back line. The problem today with Tyrone was they were all charging around like headless chickens after the ball.

Cavanagh was bombing forward all first half, if he was doing his job as a sweeper he doesn't do that. We didn't deploy a sweeper, it was clear as day and to say we did is cloud cuckoo stuff.

Thanks for answering my question

Angelo

Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 08, 2019, 10:54:37 PM
Angelo, harte has never took the rap for anything in his life. That was a disgrace. Why drop Cassidy? Rafferty started for skeet? Mc crory now a regular sub again? Wtf? Just when I thought harte had got his shit together he goes and makes a pile of needless changes and f**ks everything up. I'm fuckin ragin after that.

The alarm bells were ringing in the Derry and Antrim games the way a few fist passes down the middle and a few bodies running there could tear us to shreds. You could forgive that as it was Derry and Antrim and I was naive enough to think we'll be much more reserved against Donegal - nope.

We played the same sort of tactics against Derry and Antrim as against Donegal, absolutely wide open we were. For those who were crying for us to play a more expansive game and go man on man with teams with deadly forwards and pace around the middle of the pitch - there was the evidence about the quality of defenders in our panel.

I have to say I've been very disappointed with McKernan of late, he's very much overrated. He's got good pace and power and likes to bomb forward but he got absolutely toasted by Brennan today, he got destroyed in the All Ireland final last year too.

McShane has been a good find at full forward but unless teams play open against you he is not going to be much use. Any ball we put in there today he had a host of bodies around him or it was cut out by the players playing in front of them. The difference today was Donegal had a defensive system and we did not.

I wouldn't get carried away if I was a Donegal fan though as despite how badly set up we were, the fact we had one of our best players wrongly black carded in the first half, the fact that many of our big players completely disappeared, the fact we were completely wiped out on kickouts and the fact we spurned three decent goal chances in the first half, we still only lost by 4.

It's a wake up call for Harte and the people who were looking for us to go toe to toe with the top teams though.
[/b][/b]

Strange analysis.

1st half Tyrone played with a sweeper in colm cavanagh, conceded all the kickouts dropped men back and were torn to shreds.

2nd half Tyrone took colm cavanagh off, pushed up on Donegal kickouts and won the second half by a score of 8 points to 5.

Strange analysis as Cavanagh played as an orthodox midfielder all first half. We didn't play any sweeper at all. How drunk were you watching that?

I honestly doubted if you knew anything about football but maybe it's just that your eyes don't work too good.
Cavanagh wasn't playing as a sweeper in the first half. He should have been. But he played as a standard MF.

Clear as day.

He was out around the middle of the pitch chasing shadows and he couldn't lay a glove on anyone. When In Hiding sobers up and goes back to watch the game he might see that Cavanagh is generally struggling to get back on the halfway line, 20 yards behind the Donegal man attacking with the ball.

When Cavanagh plays as a sweeper, as soon as Tyrone lose the ball, he turns his back and sprints back into position. Today he was out around the middle of the pitch chasing after lads and he was about 20 yards behind the Donegal play as soon as they attacked forward. We had no sweeper today. It was a complete and utter tactical failure.

It was the type of naive play that a defensive team loves to play against and Donegal lapped it up, they dropped bodies back, they cut off the early supply, Tyrone were clueless on the ball and ran into blind alleys and as soon as the ball was turned over they had oceans of room to attack at pace and the defenders we left back man on man got utterly destroyed.

How anyone can sit there and say we played a sweeper in the first half wouldn't know whether a ball was pumped or stuffed.

Angelo

Quote from: In hiding on June 08, 2019, 10:56:39 PM

Sober up and have a look back at it as you seemed to have had a vivid imagination if you actually watched that game.

redzone

Quote from: Angelo on June 08, 2019, 11:01:57 PM

[/b][/b]

Strange analysis.

Clear as day.

He was out around the middle of the pitch chasing shadows and he couldn't lay a glove on anyone. When In Hiding sobers up and goes back to watch the game he might see that Cavanagh is generally struggling to get back on the halfway line, 20 yards behind the Donegal man attacking with the ball.

When Cavanagh plays as a sweeper, as soon as Tyrone lose the ball, he turns his back and sprints back into position. Today he was out around the middle of the pitch chasing after lads and he was about 20 yards behind the Donegal play as soon as they attacked forward. We had no sweeper today. It was a complete and utter tactical failure.

It was the type of naive play that a defensive team loves to play against and Donegal lapped it up, they dropped bodies back, they cut off the early supply, Tyrone were clueless on the ball and ran into blind alleys and as soon as the ball was turned over they had oceans of room to attack at pace and the defenders we left back man on man got utterly destroyed.

How anyone can sit there and say we played a sweeper in the first half wouldn't know whether a ball was pumped or stuffed.

Was at the game and Ben mcdonell was the sweeper regularly in the first half

Angelo

This was the most naive tactical display since we got destroyed down in Kerry in 2014 in the league. Harte left Barry Tierney on James O'Donoghue for the entire match that day as O'Donoghue absolutely skinned him alive. We got an absolute hockeying.

We went on to have an abject Championship that year, knocked out by Monaghan in Ulster before Armagh gave us an early summer.

We were at a low ebb, Peter Donnelly came into the set up and transformed us into a real well oiled, defensively solid counter attacking side.

We've done that for the past 4 years, it has brought us 2 Ulster Championships, 2 All Ireland semi finalists and a final appearance in those 4 years.

Harte has buckled to the clowns who don't like the aesthetics of that style of game and the problem for us is that when we move away from a game that suits the players we have then that is what you get.

What I'd like to know is how does Peter Donnelly feel about the change in tactics this year? If we don't go back to basics we will be having a very short summer like 2014 again.

In hiding

Quote from: Angelo on June 08, 2019, 11:03:09 PM
Quote from: In hiding on June 08, 2019, 10:56:39 PM

Sober up and have a look back at it as you seemed to have had a vivid imagination if you actually watched that game.

Don't change the subject just answer the fcukin question...

Who did colm cavanagh mark in his conventional role as an orthodox midfielder.

Angelo

Quote from: redzone on June 08, 2019, 11:07:45 PM

[/b][/b]

Strange analysis.

Clear as day.

Ben McDonnell was the centre back, like a lot of other players today, he had a stinker.

He was the lad who did hold his position the most alright but he was far too high up the pitch in his starting position and was utterly redundant in how he read the situation.

In hiding

Quote from: Angelo on June 08, 2019, 11:12:51 PM

[/b][/b]

Strange analysis.

Clear as day.

Ben McDonnell was the centre back, like a lot of other players today, he had a stinker.

He was the lad who did hold his position the most alright but he was far too high up the pitch in his starting position and was utterly redundant in how he read the situation.
He held his position the most...
Far too high up the pitch in his starting position...

I'm confused...
Must be the drink

Angelo

Quote from: In hiding on June 08, 2019, 11:15:36 PM

[/b][/b]

Strange analysis.

Clear as day.

I'm confused...
Must be the drink

You're very confused alright, you were telling us Colm Cavanagh was playing as a sweeper today.

Angelo

Is Meyler injured?

He was doing the water today.

I'd find it very strange if he is fit and available that he can't make our 26.

I'd have him a certain starter for Tyrone, he's an absolute workhorse and I don't think Donegal would have had it as easy today if he was available.

In hiding

Quote from: Angelo on June 08, 2019, 11:18:58 PM

[/b][/b]

Strange analysis.

Clear as day.

I'm confused...
Must be the drink

You're very confused alright, you were telling us Colm Cavanagh was playing as a sweeper today.
Still no answer

Angelo

Quote from: In hiding on June 08, 2019, 11:32:34 PM
Quote from: Angelo on June 08, 2019, 11:18:58 PM

[/b][/b]

Strange analysis.

Clear as day.

I'm confused...
Must be the drink

Still no answer

Why does it matter who he is marking?

The problem for Tyrone was that most players just took to running at the man with the ball and ended up chasing shadows.

In hiding

Still no answer.

He was our spare defender because his immediate opponent Hugh Mc Fadden was playing as a sweeper for Donegal. If he was competing man to man as you insist why did mc fadden win the majority of donegals first half kickouts unopposed.