Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunsilly King

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 26, 2019, 09:43:44 AM
I get what you are saying but, if I'm training for something I'll get myself to a level that I want to compete at, you set goals and try and achieve them.

I pay 30 odd quid a month for gym membership if I wanted to physically get to a standard I'd have to put the effort in and work out. Some people go to the gym and fart about the ones that don't are on show yesterday, unfortunately being a gifted footballer won't cut the mustard if you are easily beat in a a tackle or unable to win the race to a ball.

Having a fitness coach or dietician telling you what you already know you need to do is a cop out IMO of course

You know whats so funny about your last sentence is that your that ignorant or stupid you don't know your one or the other.
Quote from: Sportacus on May 26, 2019, 12:36:31 PM
We were much improved on the shambles in Newry last year so management and players deserve some credit for that.  I can't get my head around the two tier system - I'd fear we would disappear off the map altogether.  Still think playing like we did yesterday we would give quite a few teams across the country a game, it's not that long ago the same Tyrone team hammered Armagh in an All Ireland Quarterfinal. 

You do realise Tyrone took off their three main scoring men 5 minutes into the second half which meant we didn't get bt by 30 pts. There are about 4 teams at best we would beat. Our league performance is evidence if that this year and the last 5 ffs

Dunsilly King

Quote from: hardstation on May 26, 2019, 04:28:59 PM
Quote from: Dunsilly King on May 26, 2019, 04:23:19 PM
Quote from: hardstation on May 26, 2019, 03:10:40 PM
Most of Cargin's would be 30+ too.

What a load of balls. The team I saw play Creggan a fews ago had about 3. Mick Mc Cann, Tony Scullion for sure, after that Croizer maybe, is he 30 yet
Crozier & Tomas McCann

Thats 4, hardly 'most' 30/31 yr olds badly needed, big experience

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dunsilly King on May 26, 2019, 04:32:31 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 26, 2019, 09:43:44 AM
I get what you are saying but, if I'm training for something I'll get myself to a level that I want to compete at, you set goals and try and achieve them.

I pay 30 odd quid a month for gym membership if I wanted to physically get to a standard I'd have to put the effort in and work out. Some people go to the gym and fart about the ones that don't are on show yesterday, unfortunately being a gifted footballer won't cut the mustard if you are easily beat in a a tackle or unable to win the race to a ball.

Having a fitness coach or dietician telling you what you already know you need to do is a cop out IMO of course

You know whats so funny about your last sentence is that your that ignorant or stupid you don't know your one or the other.
Quote from: Sportacus on May 26, 2019, 12:36:31 PM

Funny or arrogant? Getting fit and doing strength and conditioning is about being committed, no one said it's easy, if it was then we'd all be at it, but if you're serious about being a county footballer ( any county ) you'll (or should) make yourself the best you can be. And in today's environment that's improving your body strength and that involves doing weights, it won't take a season or two but you can with coaching from a PT get physically into shape.

Yesterday's game, the first comment was men against boys and that was about the physical side of things, never mind the footballing terms.

Training for triathlons I'd have been up at 6.30, hitting the pool for 60-80 lengths before work back after work for running, weights followed by a spin on the bike, that was when I was mid 40's! These lads are young men with the chance to play in big games representing their county. I can't totally blame management for players not being physically fit, unless they've not done any training
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Spike

Not often i agree with MR but hes spot on here. Bit of ownership needed for some 'wannabe' county players.  You need the physicality before even attempting to play county...it looked like men against boys yesterday.  Where were the coahes?  What have these do called county men been doing with their physiques as past few years???? Amatuers in a sport that isnt amateur any more

Spike

Quote from: hardstation on May 26, 2019, 04:36:15 PM
Quote from: Dunsilly King on May 26, 2019, 04:34:40 PM
Quote from: hardstation on May 26, 2019, 04:28:59 PM
Quote from: Dunsilly King on May 26, 2019, 04:23:19 PM
Quote from: hardstation on May 26, 2019, 03:10:40 PM
Most of Cargin's would be 30+ too.

What a load of balls. The team I saw play Creggan a fews ago had about 3. Mick Mc Cann, Tony Scullion for sure, after that Croizer maybe, is he 30 yet
Crozier & Tomas McCann

Thats 4, hardly 'most' 30/31 yr olds badly needed, big experience
Sorry, I updated. You tell me, what Cargin players under 30 would make a real difference to Antrim?

John McNabb; Marty Kane Justin Crozier James Laverty
Paul McCann jamie gribben ciaran bradley john carron gerard mccann to name but a few .....  ffs thats not even mentioning the over 30s who are still the fittest men in the county!  Mick mccann has been the greatest player antrim has produced in a lifetime with fitness levels up with the best of them at 33 and hes sitting at home with the feet up.coz we're a shambles!

Spike

So no matter what names we put forward arent good enough?    Convienent that.    Would they be better? Simple answer yes.  And thats just the cargin players

Mick mccann an alright club player??? How many club matches do you watch?? Obviously none.
Ffs hes the best player in the county  now and as past 15 years and still one of the fittest, still only 33. 

Spike

Nothing was as bad as yesterday

Spike

Dont you mean 'some' cargin and st galls.players played in those games?? 

We've hit rock bottom and are getting worse.  Players yesterday in the main arent county quality.   Management doeant appear to be county level.  Strength and conditioning doesnt appear to be county level. 

If ever the county board needed a wake up call to the dire state of our county panel then yesterday was it

Milltown Row2

We scored 2-09 against a top tier competitive team. We could have scored more but didn't take some chances, Tyrone would hammer all div 4 teams.

My gripe is we should be at least looking to have our whole  squad up to a physical standard (there was a few meeting the standard) then the management can at least put their plan in place!

In general we've always had players that were physically smaller than our opponents! Hurling also, we need to produce bigger players
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Caesar

Tyrone are one of the very best conditioned teams in the country. Their preparation is on another level. We are simply not in a position to match them at this stage.

I also think nerves played a big part on our own fitness levels. A lot of our players looked nervous and probably had heavy legs. They looked off the pace by their own standards in the first half, never mind Tyrone's standards.

Fair play to them for persevering and playing with a bit of pride in the second half when it would have been easy to capitulate completely.

toby47

Antrim away to Louth next

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: hardstation on May 26, 2019, 10:08:02 PM
Quote from: Spike on May 26, 2019, 10:02:16 PM
Dont you mean 'some' cargin and st galls.players played in those games?? 

We've hit rock bottom and are getting worse.  Players yesterday in the main arent county quality.   Management doeant appear to be county level.  Strength and conditioning doesnt appear to be county level. 

If ever the county board needed a wake up call to the dire state of our county panel then yesterday was it
We've been the whipping boys of Ulster football for 40 years. We've had worse days than yesterday. Many of them.
We don't have the players in the entire county to make us competitive with anyone in Ulster.

Id say thats spot on to describe where we are.

We have been the weakest county in Ulster for a long long time and only for the tiered structure in Hurling we would be the same in it as well.

I watched the game sat night and was impressed with how the lads stuck to it and never gave up. took some good scores but truth be told Tyrone werent even going full pace at us and were taking players off to rest them very early doors.
hurl like f**k boi!

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 26, 2019, 10:28:11 PM
We scored 2-09 against a top tier competitive team. We could have scored more but didn't take some chances, Tyrone would hammer all div 4 teams.

My gripe is we should be at least looking to have our whole  squad up to a physical standard (there was a few meeting the standard) then the management can at least put their plan in place!

In general we've always had players that were physically smaller than our opponents! Hurling also, we need to produce bigger players

They would hammer most division 2 teams. Also look what Dublin did to Louth who had 14 men for most of the game.

Agree on the physical size. Hurling and football we always seem to not produce many physically big players for whatever reason.

We have won about 5 ulster c'ship matches in my lifetime and I'm far from a child! It is beginning to look like there will be a second tier. It will be interesting to see how that pans out. It could help us or it could be the death of county football.

gelvis

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 28, 2019, 09:17:48 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 26, 2019, 10:28:11 PM

They would hammer most division 2 teams. Also look what Dublin did to Louth who had 14 men for most of the game.

Agree on the physical size. Hurling and football we always seem to not produce many physically big players for whatever reason.

We have won about 5 ulster c'ship matches in my lifetime and I'm far from a child! It is beginning to look like there will be a second tier. It will be interesting to see how that pans out. It could help us or it could be the death of county football.

I see there has been a similar discussion about size and conditioning on the Derry pages after their game v Tyrone.  Derry would surely have a more settled squad than Antrim over the last few years and also have the well conditioned S'neil players.

Are Tyrone doing something different to both of us then?
"If you worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on"

imtommygunn

Yes lol. They have had a stable squad for years now and anyone that comes in it takes a few years to get them up to the fitness level required. I think Peter Donnelly who used to play for them is their conditioning guy and seems to do a great job of it. I actually think Dublin's physical conditioning is a level up from Tyrone too.

Derry haven't been that settled either squad wise - similar to us really. If you read into it they have quite a few dropouts. Club football conditioning is a different level to county so even boys looking good at club level it still takes a big step up. Really I think they have the same kind of issues to us though their club football is of a higher standard I would think.