The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: RedHand88 on November 06, 2018, 12:23:06 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 05, 2018, 08:25:34 PM
If they ran the Brexit vote again there would be 2 million more young voters and 1.x million dead Brexit voters and remain would win.
Same in the US. The GOP crew are old and white and they can't stop age. Plus Trump doubled down on hate , turning off moderates. And the GOP can't sell tax cuts or healthcare. I think the GOP will suffer.

You have to remember however that people turn more right wing as they age. So just because a hippy liberal leftie type may have voted dem through their youth, when they enter the world of employment they might suddenly gain an aversion to high tax rates and over zealous public spending.

You mean "over zealous spending" on them ones over there.

Because the US right doesn't give a f**k about public expenditure as long as it personally benefits them and the issues that THEY care about.

I'm well into my 40s now. When is this switch going to go off in my brain that will apparently turn me into a right wing reactionary railing about the good old days and cowering in fear of big government and brown people?

Gmac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 05, 2018, 09:44:08 PM
If they ran the Brexit vote again there would be 2 million more young voters and 1.x million dead Brexit voters and remain would win.
Same in the US. The GOP crew are old and white and they can't stop age. Plus Trump doubled down on hate , turning off moderates. And the GOP can't sell tax cuts or healthcare. I think the GOP will suffer.

Indeed. Voter suppression and gerrymandering can only get conservatives so far.  A reckoning will come eventually. I can't wait until the day when I'm whipping them in the fields.
the salsa dancing must have really toughened u up

J70

Quote from: seafoid on November 06, 2018, 12:53:33 PM
Early votes alone in three states with competitive races, Texas, Arizona and Nevada, exceeded total midterm turnout in 2014.(Guardian)

I think Beto O Rourke will beat Cruz. Hon Cavan

Real Clear Politics has Cruz up by nearly 7 points.

And this is Texas we're talking about!

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on November 06, 2018, 01:38:59 PM
Early votes alone in three states with competitive races, Texas, Arizona and Nevada, exceeded total midterm turnout in 2014.(Guardian)

yes the Latino challenger Robert Francis o rourke son of pat might not make it this time

seafoid

Quote from: J70 on November 06, 2018, 01:38:59 PM

538 as well
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-midterm-election-forecast/senate/

But Trump was honestly crap for the last 4 weeks for anyone who was educated beyond primary school .
And are women going to support the GOP like they did 2 years ago ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

RedHand88

Quote from: J70 on November 06, 2018, 01:25:02 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on November 06, 2018, 12:23:06 PM

You have to remember however that people turn more right wing as they age. So just because a hippy liberal leftie type may have voted dem through their youth, when they enter the world of employment they might suddenly gain an aversion to high tax rates and over zealous public spending.

You mean "over zealous spending" on them ones over there.

Because the US right doesn't give a f**k about public expenditure as long as it personally benefits them and the issues that THEY care about.

I'm well into my 40s now. When is this switch going to go off in my brain that will apparently turn me into a right wing reactionary railing about the good old days and cowering in fear of big government and brown people?

I don't know seafoid but I'm in my 30s and it's went for me as well as others I know my same age.

seafoid

Quote from: heganboy on March 24, 2009, 02:55:14 PM
TO
Where do you stand on the Geithner plan?
I'm not sure to which bill of goods you refer- can you elaborate (sorry if I'm being lazy not searching back through previous threads but I'm getting older you see...)
HB
But the typical voter is older

Interesting development today with GOP people turning away from Trump

John Weaver
(@jwgop)
Please, today, white moderates cannot be part of going backwards in this country. Please join so many others: women, people of color & young people in rejecting hate & division. Vote for America's future. Be a #DemocratForADay I am #CountryOverParty #Courage

Mark Salter
(@MarkSalter55)
Vote For the Democrat (in most cases). That feels weird to write. But the bigger the rebuke of Trump the better for the country. Resist.

Robert E Kelly

@Robert_E_Kelly

My post on the midterm. I've been a registered Republican my whole life but just voted a straight Dem ticket for the first time ever,including for a candidate I thought inferior to his GOP opponent. Trump is huge threat to US liberalism & constitutionalism

Eamonnca1

Nate Silver's latest forecasts:

88% chance of Dems taking the House.
81% chance of Repukelicans keeping the Senate.
Dems to pick up 8 more Governorships.

Eamonnca1

As much as I'd like to see it, I'd be surprised if Cruz gets beaten there. Either way, O'Rourke has shown that you can build a good campaign on net-roots contributions. Howard Deane pioneered that approach and was doing fine until his "I have a scream" speech. Bernie built a massive campaign on it and to this day I think he was blocked by the Dem party establishment.

I wish more Dems would get with the program and dump the special interest donations. You don't have to go down that road anymore. If you build a campaign on small contributions it frees you up to support policies that the people actually support.

heganboy

Interesting results in so far. No blue wave. Texas and Florida too tight to call so far.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Gabriel_Hurl

Dems looking likely to take the House now. Probably by 15-20 seats.

heganboy

Cruz held on and Gillum beaten in Some of the big name races.
Country divided along racial wealth and education levels
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Oraisteach

And, ironically, if the now-enfranchised ex-felons of Florida had been able to vote, Gillum would have won.

seafoid

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/midterm-elections/2018/11/6/18066648/midterms-2018-trump-republicans-losses-impeachment-congress

When I talked with Sanford, he was comfortable with his loss but depressed by the way he saw his party becoming a cult of personality.

"If you read [Friederich] Hayek's book The Road to Serfdom," he said, "what it talks about is how in open political systems, over time, they become more and more dysfunctional, to the point that the electorate gets frustrated. Then a strongman comes along and says, 'Look, I'll take care of these problems for you.' You're going to give him a couple freedoms, but 'I'll take care of these problems for you.' And the deal is struck. That's obviously the story of the rise of Hitler."
"We're playing with some of those same things," he says.