The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on November 02, 2017, 09:27:16 AM
Quote from: seafoid on November 01, 2017, 09:04:14 PM
In December 2012, a gunman walked into Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, and killed 20 children, six adults, and himself. Since then, there have been at least 1,518 mass shootings, with at least 1,715 people killed and 6,089 wounded.

There have been less than 10 terrorist attacks.
Americans are very poor at maths.

Plus there is the NRA.
Guns have killed over 1,000 people and over 3,000 have been shot in the US since the Las Vegas massacre alone.

But that's not a problem, or something.
That is American Sid. As American as obesity. American is GOOD.
Terrsm is EVIL. 

foxcommander

Quote from: J70 on November 01, 2017, 06:39:07 PM
Who should the average person in the US be more worried about running into? An islamic terrorist or some random whackjob with a grievance and easy access to military style weapons?

If illegals/unneeded weren't in the United States in the first place you could devote more time to keeping an eye on the whackjobs. No?

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

foxcommander

Quote from: easytiger95 on November 01, 2017, 02:16:14 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on November 01, 2017, 01:48:11 PM
Quote from: screenexile on November 01, 2017, 11:57:11 AM
Surprised there's very little talk on here about the terror attack. Horrible thing to happen and difficult to see what could have been done to prevent it really.

But there is something that can be done - as President Trump has continually stated that a merit based system would help stop such future incidents.

Not surprisingly the usual liberal cheerleaders are very silent today alright. Probably because the guy entered the US on the Diversity visa lottery program. Way to go Senator Schumer. It shows that their dream of flooding the country with ready made democrat voters has some flaws.

Any chance of explaining how a merit based system would help stop such incidents?

Surely you don't need me to explain this to you? You are kidding right?
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

easytiger95

If it is such a simple question, your reply should be easy. Please, have at it.

whitey

We're the "diversity" visas not introduced as a means to improve the chances of people from Western Europe....(i.e. White people) of getting a green card?

J70

Quote from: foxcommander on November 02, 2017, 01:50:51 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 01, 2017, 06:39:07 PM
Who should the average person in the US be more worried about running into? An islamic terrorist or some random whackjob with a grievance and easy access to military style weapons?

If illegals/unneeded weren't in the United States in the first place you could devote more time to keeping an eye on the whackjobs. No?

Mental health monitoring, background checking and so on, all local and state driven, are lacking because of resources being put towards immigration background checking and enforcement? It's that simple?? Nothing to do with "not an inch" and"from my cold dead hands" approach of the gun lobby?

What are the stats for terrorist or even criminal, never mind murderous, behaviour from immigrants , whether legal or not? How do they compare with citizens? If you removed all the "diversity" immigrants (signed into law under Bush1), what dent would that have made in the crime and murder stats?

J70

Quote from: whitey on November 02, 2017, 02:19:09 PM
We're the "diversity" visas not introduced as a means to improve the chances of people from Western Europe....(i.e. White people) of getting a green card?

I honestly never heard of them before this week.

But apparently a bipartisan group of senators, including Chuck Schumer, moved to get rid of them four years ago.

I don't know what their reasons were.

heganboy

Qq for Foxy
What are
Quoteillegals/unneeded
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

seafoid

Trump.is calling for the death penalty for the Uzbek. Shouldn't Wayne La Pierre of the NRA be executed too?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: seafoid on November 02, 2017, 03:12:18 PM
Trump.is calling for the death penalty for the Uzbek. Shouldn't Wayne La Pierre of the NRA be executed too?

Yes. By firing squad, just for maximum irony.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: J70 on November 02, 2017, 02:31:10 PM

What are the stats for terrorist or even criminal, never mind murderous, behaviour from immigrants , whether legal or not? How do they compare with citizens? If you removed all the "diversity" immigrants (signed into law under Bush1), what dent would that have made in the crime and murder stats?

Undocumented immigrants are more likely to keep their heads down for obvious reasons and considerably less likely to be involved in crime. But you try explaining that to the numbskulls in the "send them back" lobby.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: J70 on November 02, 2017, 02:33:10 PM
Quote from: whitey on November 02, 2017, 02:19:09 PM

I honestly never heard of them before this week.

But apparently a bipartisan group of senators, including Chuck Schumer, moved to get rid of them four years ago.

I don't know what their reasons were.

The DV lottery used to be a handy way for Irish people to get into the states. There used to be so many green cards available that just about every Irish person who applied got it. I remember asking a friend how she arrived in the US and she said "Oh I just got the green card and came on over." That's how it was in her day. By the time I got here I had to spend ten years and spend thousands of dollars in lawyers' fees to get my green card. My employer helped me out but I was still out of pocket by quite a lot. And the worst thing about the endless wait is you have to keep checking the online visa bulletin every month to see if the queue has moved. You don't know if they're going to get to you in the next month or the next five years. In the meantime you're on a H1B visa and have to keep your head down at work and make sure you're in the good graces of your boss no matter how mad he is.

seafoid

Trump proposed a ban on Muslims in December 20q5. He is impulsive. He has no concept of policy. This is going to do serious damage to the US economy.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: seafoid on November 02, 2017, 04:34:06 PM
Trump proposed a ban on Muslims in December 20q5. He is impulsive. He has no concept of policy. This is going to do serious damage to the US economy.

Only if he can actually get anything done. If the healthcare episode is anything to go by he's going to have a hard time. We'll see how this tax proposal goes. If the rich come out too far ahead then the Dems will oppose it, and if it adds to the deficit then a handful of Repubs (the last surviving sane ones) should be enough to sink it too. 

So far the checks and balances seem to be holding reasonably well. His foreign policy bluster doesn't seem to be getting taken seriously outside the country either. I think the Iranians are well aware that Trump doesn't know what he's doing and will probably be out of office in 2 to 4 years, so the nuclear deal is probably safe for now.

heganboy

How can a judge preside over a fair trial when the president of the US is calling for the death penalty. Surely the Uzbek can plead that the 6th amendment has been violated, i.e. the right to an impartial jury
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity