Paul Kimmage interviews Sean Cavanagh

Started by Jinxy, September 09, 2018, 08:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/paul-kimmage-sits-down-with-sean-cavanagh-to-talk-retirement-the-mcmanus-incident-and-how-he-never-really-knew-mickey-harte-37297045.html

I enjoyed this interview I have to say.
Which Cavan savage is he talking about in the excerpt below?

PK: Three years later you're playing Cavan in an Ulster Championship semi-final - a game you recall in a passage in the book that is just extraordinary. You shake hands with this guy, the game starts and he's grabbing and pulling you off the ball.

SC: Yeah.

PK: Then he spits in your face?

PK: And he keeps spitting in your face?

PK: And the officials do nothing about it?

SC: That was the thing that really got to me. I remember going to the referee and the linesmen with the 'gob' running down my face and asking: "How can you let him away with this? How is this legal?" And the referee saying: "I didn't see anything."

PK: And you go in at half-time and break down in the dressing room?

SC: I was inconsolable. I remember Mickey coming over: "What's up? What's gone on?" And I just kept saying: "This is not football." It wasn't my vision of sport, or my sport.

PK: Now you're 23 years old at this stage. You've had your teeth smashed-in and guys who've run onto the pitch to punch you in the head. But this is the day that breaks you?

SC: He was spitting at me and biting me. I was getting nipped repeatedly and violently. I remember taking off my top that night - Fionnuala took a picture of it - and there was bruising all over my chest and back and und er my arm. I could accept getting the shoulder and having my teeth knocked out - whether it was intentional or not I don't know - but spiting and biting was crossing the line.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Jinxy

He should have had his teeth put through the back of his head.

rodney trotter

Walsh was dirty enough on the field. He came from his spell in AFL with not much skill set.

befair

Tyrone, of course, were entirely blameless.....

quit yo jibbajabba

Big Sean puttin his head in front of yer man when he was spittin. These tyronies have no shame Betfair..

trailer

Walsh got what he wanted - a draw the first day. Cavanagh roasted him 6 days later.

Itchy

Quote from: trailer on September 09, 2018, 09:20:25 PM
Walsh got what he wanted - a draw the first day. Cavanagh roasted him 6 days later.

Walsh got a yellow in 1st few mins. All seans crying worked for him. Thankfully there was no utter scumbags playing on seans team.

Jinxy

trailer

Quote from: Itchy on September 09, 2018, 09:22:49 PM

Walsh got a yellow in 1st few mins. All seans crying worked for him. Thankfully there was no utter scumbags playing on seans team.

Is this a who's got the more scumbags competition or are discussing this incident? 

Itchy

Quote from: trailer on September 09, 2018, 09:29:44 PM

Is this a who's got the more scumbags competition or are discussing this incident?

We are discussing Sean Cavanagh interview with Paul kimmage with regards to his new book. I look forward to Seans recollections on diving, sledging and other stuff Tyrone (amongst others) got up to during his time.

As St Mickey might say, let him without sin cast the first stone.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Itchy on September 09, 2018, 10:11:15 PM
Quote from: trailer on September 09, 2018, 09:29:44 PM

We are discussing Sean Cavanagh interview with Paul kimmage with regards to his new book. I look forward to Seans recollections on diving, sledging and other stuff Tyrone (amongst others) got up to during his time.
😄 oh dear.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

rrhf

Kimmage does a very human interview, always slightly uncomfortable, always interesting - I imagine him as an angry old school hack at times and I mean that complimentary. I'd have liked him to go further with Sean on this insane individual drive and lack of appreciation for his own achievements.. is this a common trait?

Jinxy

snoopdog

Does he publish the photo of all the bruises in the book i wonder