Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oliverkelly

I got slated on this page before xmas for saying we sold sell Pogba cause hes fecking usless well the more time goes on the more i am being proved right. I said to my mates when Sanchez was signed Mourinho would ruin him with shite tactics and he hasnt performed at all. Time to give Bourinho to boot. The money he has spent and thats the best he can come up with over two legs against a at best adverage side.

magpie seanie

Quote from: gallsman on March 13, 2018, 10:05:09 PM
Penny for magpie Seanie's thoughts...

You've had them for free since the rumours first started circulating about Mourinho possibly being United manager. I was right back then. I don't really have anything more to add to bar that his press conference last night was a new low even for a ballbag like him. downright insulting. I've already pointed out time and time again on this thread why he should not be manager of Manchester United so I'll leave it. All I hope for is a swift end to this embarrassment.

Looking forward to MM's -"usual overreaction here.....making progress" post.  ::) A poster I really respect but sheesh - time to call it like it is man.

johnnycool

Quote from: StGallsGAA on March 13, 2018, 11:08:05 PM
Quote from: clarshack on March 13, 2018, 10:37:16 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on March 13, 2018, 10:22:46 PM
Quote from: clarshack on March 13, 2018, 10:10:06 PM
you'd think that UTD were beaten by some diddy team from the Faroe Islands ffs.
Sevilla are currently 5th in one of the best leagues in the world if not the best.
they're also now unbeaten in 4 games against English opposition this season.
give some credit to Sevilla ffs. even just now scholes is still calling sevilla a poor team.

They've being awful in Spain this season. Soft centre and conceded over 40 goals. Maribor had nearly the same amount of shots on  target against them over two games.

so Sevilla still not getting any credit here then?

Sevilla deserve huge credit. They came to play and not sit back.  United played as if they were protecting a lead from the away tie.

Juve gave a masterclass the previous week of how to soak up pressure and hit on the counter, that's the style Jose likes and tries to replicate at Manu.
Problem is Smalling, Lindelof, Bailly, Jones, Roho aren't Chiellini or even close to it and Jose hasn't really made an effort to buy a high end defender.
He then spunks big money on Sanchez and Pogba (A) because he can and (B) the fans initially think its great and it appeases them when the see what the Arabs are buying next door.

Jose is caught between two stools and is making a mess of it.

AZOffaly

There's a real culture clash here. Looking from the outside I mean. On the face of it, this manager has gotten United back in the Champions League, and will have them comfortably there again. He has won the League Cup, and the Europa League. He Currently has them in second place, and just beaten their biggest rivals. They are still in the running for the FA Cup.

Reading all that, you'd say he's made a fine start to his Old Trafford career especially after the dross served up under Moyes.

On the other hand, you then look at his behaviour and his public utterances. You look at the fearful way his teams set up in any big game. You look at his seeming distrust of Rashford, Martial and Mata. And when you look at all that, and consider the club and its tradition, and you can see why fans aren't over the moon.

It's a tricky one though. It's hard to say he's not a winner. So does style trump substance in this case? Or is he winning (now) almost despite himself because of the club he finds himself at, and the money he can spend? If he was the Liverpool manager, I'd not like him, but I'd love winning the trophies. It's a bit of a conundrum.

Mourinho haters. Would you swap Mourinho for Klopp, who is almost the polar opposite. A lad who attacks every game, with fewer resources, but who seems to have only a casual acquaintance with defending and defensive game plans. He may win stuff, but he probably won't win as much as Mourinho and his style.

DuffleKing

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 14, 2018, 08:49:32 AM
Mourinho haters. Would you swap Mourinho for Klopp, who is almost the polar opposite. A lad who attacks every game, with fewer resources, but who seems to have only a casual acquaintance with defending and defensive game plans. He may win stuff, but he probably won't win as much as Mourinho and his style.

No

ashman

The whole Alexis Sanchez saga showed that Man City are operating at another level to Man United. United are #2 in the City.

trailer

If Klopp had the resources Jose had, Utd would be closer to City and still in the Champions League.
For all the Money Jose has spent Utd's best players are Mata, Young, Rashford De Gea. All bought by other managers except Rashford obviously. Jose has been very poor in the transfer market with Pogba, Lukaku, Sanchez, Miki, Bailly & Lindeof all below the level expected of Manchester Utd players.
The blame rests firmly at Jose's door.

yellowcard

I'm not a fan of Mourinho by any means but what did people expect? We know the type of football he plays, the vicious insults and put downs and general ballbag behaviour that he promotes. However Ed Woodward seems to be bomb proof, he escapes most of the blame for hiring the last 3 managers all of whom have played uninspired bore fest football. He gets the cheque book out each summer and signs a couple of headline signings to keep the fans happy but there is a bad atmosphere in the club at home matches since there is very little to get the fans off their seats.

On Mourinho, he has improved Lingaard and brought through McTominay (though the jury is still out on him longer term) but practically no other player has improved under him, most have sttod still or gone backwards. I still think there are a lot of very good players in the side who are under performing. Results have not been too bad overall but it is more the style of football that I have an issue with. Even in recent games where we got results the performances have not been that great but as I said, in order to justify that type of football you need to be winning constantly.

Maroon Manc

That was dreadful, as soon as I saw the team I was worried. I still can't believe he started Fellaini, one of the most bizare decisions I've ever seen any manager make. He's not a defensive midfielder and it left United with no control over Sevilla at all, playing him alongside Matic when he's fit is bad enough but to play him after barely playing any football in months was a crazy decision he'll regret for a long time.

Ultimately its the managers fault and Mourinho deserves all the flack he gets for last night, Sevilla are a good side but its obvious the English clubs have improved in recent years judging by results this season but we gave them too much respect last night although there's no chance you can control a match with a midfield 2 of Matic & Fellaini, I can see what he was trying to do but it was obvious early on that Fellaini was having a poor night and struggled to control any ball that came his way.

Apart from Lukaku everyone else was poor, United needed to start with a high tempo and didn't: I put most of that down to Fellaini's inclusion, he's too easy to play against and not good enough at pressuring opponents.

I still think Mourinho is the right man for the job but obviously he's not beyond criticism. He's got to get it right next season which is mounting a proper title challenge and playing better football consistently. He's never going to play football like Pep or Klopp but his Chelsea teams were decent to watch though. I've no doubt he'll get money to bring in better players but its still worrying you can make a case we still need 5 players. In an ideal world we need 2 new fullbacks, a centre half, centre mid and a right sided attacking player but I just don't see that happening. He needed to have a bigger clearout last summer and bring in more players but that didn't materialise, still don't understand why a leftback wasn't bought.

We'll all agree Mourinho isn't getting the most out of his attacking players.

trailer

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 14, 2018, 09:46:02 AM
That was dreadful, as soon as I saw the team I was worried. I still can't believe he started Fellaini, one of the most bizare decisions I've ever seen any manager make. He's not a defensive midfielder and it left United with no control over Sevilla at all, playing him alongside Matic when he's fit is bad enough but to play him after barely playing any football in months was a crazy decision he'll regret for a long time.

Ultimately its the managers fault and Mourinho deserves all the flack he gets for last night, Sevilla are a good side but its obvious the English clubs have improved in recent years judging by results this season but we gave them too much respect last night although there's no chance you can control a match with a midfield 2 of Matic & Fellaini, I can see what he was trying to do but it was obvious early on that Fellaini was having a poor night and struggled to control any ball that came his way.

Apart from Lukaku everyone else was poor, United needed to start with a high tempo and didn't: I put most of that down to Fellaini's inclusion, he's too easy to play against and not good enough at pressuring opponents.

I still think Mourinho is the right man for the job but obviously he's not beyond criticism. He's got to get it right next season which is mounting a proper title challenge and playing better football consistently. He's never going to play football like Pep or Klopp but his Chelsea teams were decent to watch though. I've no doubt he'll get money to bring in better players but its still worrying you can make a case we still need 5 players. In an ideal world we need 2 new fullbacks, a centre half, centre mid and a right sided attacking player but I just don't see that happening. He needed to have a bigger clearout last summer and bring in more players but that didn't materialise, still don't understand why a leftback wasn't bought.

Ashley Young is playing the best football of his career and likely to be England's first choice left back for the World Cup. Valencia also having a good season. Of all the problems Utd have, full backs aren't one of them.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: DuffleKing on March 14, 2018, 09:14:44 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 14, 2018, 08:49:32 AM

No

Yes, if Klopp had Jose's resources, I'd like to think he could construct a decent defence to match a far better attack.

However, as regards Lingard being the only player to improve - all the attacking players that were here last year have already exceeded goals scored and assists for the whole of last season, with the exception of Pogba who has scored less goals than last year.

yellowcard

Quote from: trailer on March 14, 2018, 10:00:16 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 14, 2018, 09:46:02 AM

Ashley Young is playing the best football of his career and likely to be England's first choice left back for the World Cup. Valencia also having a good season. Of all the problems Utd have, full backs aren't one of them.

The full backs rarely cross the half way line, create overlaps or produce anything in an attacking sense in the big games under Mourinho. It is the way he has always set up. Keep the full backs in a rigid position, you don't have to be a great footballer to play this role.

Young has been decent in certain games but as Roy Keane said recently, I always worry if he is getting into the starting XI. Valencia has had a poor season and no longer has the athleticism he had a few years back. 

Onthe40

Has to be the influence of Mourinho:

Matic - a mainstay in the Chelsea team that won the league, largely anonymous now
Valencia - i accept hes getting older but hes went from being Utds best outfield player, continuously on the overlap attacking to barely crossing the half way line..his best means of defence was attack..hes lost that now
Sanchez - a shadow of the player he was at Arsenal
Mata - despite odd glimpses nowhere near the player he was at Chelsea
Pogba - has arguably never been good at Utd but again has shown not one bit of the quality he showed at the Euros
Lukaku - whilst I accept his goal scoring return isnt bad IMO he does not look like the player he was at Everton, bundle of energy, banging in goals for fun on a more limited team, full of movement etc
Martial - its evident the lad has bags of potential but simply just does not look like fulfilling it at Utd
Shaw - bad injury has had an effect but he was some player at Southampton, where has that quality gone now..
I could go on....

Its clear these are all class players in their own right but they seem to play at Utd with an inhibition or fear of playing outside their obviously coached remit.

For chr1st sake Pogba came on last nite and kicked away 4 balls with noone even marking him..thats a guy who doesnt want to be there..

thewobbler

Most odd that anyone would pick out the fullbacks as an issue when they're both performing at a high quality. Smacks of just wanting new toys to play with. Which I suppose has been Man Utd's transfer policy since Di Maria.

yellowcard

Quote from: thewobbler on March 14, 2018, 10:48:20 AM
Most odd that anyone would pick out the fullbacks as an issue when they're both performing at a high quality. Smacks of just wanting new toys to play with. Which I suppose has been Man Utd's transfer policy since Di Maria.

I hope you're not serious. They are both 32 years of age and whilst Young had a few good games he has never been what I would consider Man Utd standard. Valencia, whilst having been a solid player for a few years previously, has been poor this season, he has gone backwards and rarely offers anything now in an attacking sense.