Back-pay for low-paid Catholics

Started by ziggysego, May 15, 2008, 10:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Low-paid Catholic and female civil servants may receive more than £100m in back-pay under plans by Peter Robinson.

The finance minister said he was prepared to deal with historic inequality in pay, affecting 9,000.

He has told officials to look at the scope of the problem and engage with trade unions to resolve the issue.

He said there may be serious financial implications "but I am not prepared to follow the actions of people who preceded me and leave it unresolved".

"There should be equal pay for equal work of equal value."

The move will affect about 9,000 civil servants in the lowest grades, mostly in secretarial and administrative posts.

More than 60% of civil servants employed at the AA and AO grades are from a Catholic background.

Workers who have retired from the Civil Service in the past six years could be entitled to the back-pay, which could be up to £20,000.

The finance minister said the executive could either approach the Treasury or find the money from last year's underspend in Northern Ireland.

"Direct rule ministers did not want to touch this issue because of the enormous amount of calculations and difficulties," he said.

Sourced BBCi: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7403944.stm
Testing Accessibility

TacadoirArdMhacha

Low paid workers to get a small uplift in wages. How the feck do they get away with that title? Fair enough AA and AO positions have an over-representation of females and Catholics but there still many many men and Protestants (and Protestant men) who will benefit from this as well. Shocking what the BBC try to get away with to add jazz to a story. You'd barely see it from the Sun.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

The Watcher Pat

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/ni/?id=2009-06-01.4.1&s=speaker%3A10857#g4.38

Looks like this money could finally be on the way.

The assembly have passed a motion that this should be paid out within 3 month's.

I'm not sure all this motion business but does anyone know exactly what that motion means?

And isn't it just funny all this has came along in the week of a election...

There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

girt_giggler

how much are these bucks expecting / hoping to get per person?

Tankie

of course its the lazy civil servants who only benefit from this....  ::)
Grand Slam Saturday!

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: Tankie on June 04, 2009, 10:28:06 AM
of course its the lazy civil servants who only benefit from this....  ::)

And what to F**k would you know about it?

If you read the link you would find that Civil servants have been underpaid for years.

Why should they not get the back pay that they are owed?

The Watcher Pat

Happy day's a offer has finally come from management side...£14,000 back pay for me and £3,000 a year pay rise...

Fcuk me you want to see the smile on my face now... ;D

sammymaguire

Quote from: The Watcher Pat on November 23, 2009, 05:53:15 PM
Happy day's a offer has finally come from management side...£14,000 back pay for me and £3,000 a year pay rise...

start upping them football bets now Pat, from £5 to £50  ;)
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

stew

Fair play to you Pat. Enjoy the money, you earned it. ;D
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: stew on November 23, 2009, 06:15:02 PM

:D your best joke yet!

Square Ball

holy feck, there will be nobody in for overtime for ages.

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Bing Crosby .

Is this a N.Ireland phuking forum or what ?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Bing Crosby . on November 23, 2009, 09:56:33 PM

The majority are from the North. We don't count. I'm a lazy hoor according to the lot of em!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

sammymaguire

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 23, 2009, 11:00:17 PM
Quote from: Bing Crosby . on November 23, 2009, 09:56:33 PM

The majority are from the North. We don't count. I'm a lazy hoor according to the lot of em!

very good, and not denying it either farrandeelin!!  :D
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 24, 2009, 07:28:56 PM
Quote from: stew on November 23, 2009, 06:15:02 PM

As a senior civil servant I'm not entitled to this but its great to see hard working poorly paid staff getting a lump sum like this. Fair play to them all. As you say Stew, Pat's earned it, mind you the sad thing is that their actual entitlement is twice this amount.
Lah-de-dah Mr. Senior Civil Servant. If the other senior civil servants were prepared to actually run the place like a business they'd slash the staffing numbers and use some of the savings to pay the remaining staff a decent wage. I would reckon a 30% staff reduction would start things off.