American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Aaron Kampman away to the Jags.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

mc_grens

He's visited. No sign of a contract yet.

Club Rossa

Dan Snyder has been surprisingly quiet so far.Looks like he is going to let Shanahan run things the way he wants to,without interfering.

Minder

Quote from: mc_grens on March 07, 2010, 11:13:06 AM
He's visited. No sign of a contract yet.

NFL.co reporting he signed a "multi year contract" last night and will be announced today.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

mc_grens

Wow. First time all wekend the info hasn't come from Adam Schefter first!

The man is unreal.

AZOffaly

It's fairly turbulent times for the Cardinals, but this uncapped year coming up was always going to make things tricky, and quite simply the Cardinals, and the Bidwells in particular, are never big spenders. Boldin is gone, but to be honest, Doucet, Breaston and Urban are competent fillers for Fitzgerald. It's going to mean a big load on Doucet and Breaston in particular, but I have hopes for Doucet, he looks like a younger Anquin Boldin.

I was never a big fan of Rolle, even though he was a Pro Bowler. He was one of the worst exponents of that macho staple, the perpendicular hit as opposed to a wrap up tackle. Rhodes might be a decent replacement, and a huge contract is gone out the door.

Dansby is another big contract in waiting that's gone, but he is a bigger loss. Hopefully they'll get in a solid free agent replacement, or trade replacement, and supplement with one of the good linebackers in the draft.

That's probably the end of the losses now, so it all depends on who comes in. I'd like to give Leinhart a try, with maybe Clausen from  Notre Dame as his backup. The Defense is the key though, so if they can instill the fundementals of a pass rush, and a secondary and linebacking core that can cover and tackle, as opposed to looking to decapitate lads, I think they'll be a better balanced team.

The Cardiac Cards may be gone, especially with Warner's retirement, but hopefully the future might be more sustainable, and I still think Leinhart can lead a decent passing attack.

If the Cards go 8-8 or 7-9 this year I'd be happy with that as a basis for long term competitiveness and future playoff success again.

The NFC Worst might be about to shed that tag in the next couple of years. The Rams still look hopeless, but the Niners are definitely on an upward curve, the Seahawks have Pete Carroll and a good backup coaching team, and I think the Cardinals might be okay, certainly in the season after 2010. (Assuming there's no strike in '11 of course).

mc_grens

Rams might come around a bit too AZ. If they sign Fred Robbins it'll solidify D line full of young players with promise, freeing up the top pick for Bradford.

If he can deliver on his promise as an NFL QB and become the face of the franchise then they'll have two strong lines, a QB, and one if the NFL's best backs.
Good building blocks.

stew

As usual the Pack are doing nothing in free agency, they badly need to replace Kampman but since he was the best of a bad free agent bunch they will, in all likelihood draft a stud pass rusher.

Good to see them sign Clifton, he is not the player he was but he was the best free agent out there Rogers should have the pass protection he needs now to have an even better year next season.

Farve is still f**king about pretending he is finished, he has also angered a lot of packer fans with his comments that the ' best job I did all year was to win over the Viking fans who hated me'. Well guess what Burt, there are now a lot of Pack fans who hate you for those comments and the way you conduct yourself on matters pertaining to the packers.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

gallsman

Quote from: stew on March 08, 2010, 09:04:17 PM
As usual the Pack are doing nothing in free agency, they badly need to replace Kampman but since he was the best of a bad free agent bunch they will, in all likelihood draft a stud pass rusher.

Good to see them sign Clifton, he is not the player he was but he was the best free agent out there Rogers should have the pass protection he needs now to have an even better year next season.

Farve is still f**king about pretending he is finished, he has also angered a lot of packer fans with his comments that the ' best job I did all year was to win over the Viking fans who hated me'. Well guess what Burt, there are now a lot of Pack fans who hate you for those comments and the way you conduct yourself on matters pertaining to the packers.

Yawn.

Capt Pat

Cardinals will be mediocre at best now. They really did lean on that all star passing game to make them a winning team. With 2 of the 3 key components of that gone they won't be able to compensate for their hit and miss defense any more.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Capt Pat on March 09, 2010, 10:47:23 AM
Cardinals will be mediocre at best now. They really did lean on that all star passing game to make them a winning team. With 2 of the 3 key components of that gone they won't be able to compensate for their hit and miss defense any more.

Sorry Pat, I know what you are saying, but Boldin was peripheral at best in the run to the Superbowl, especially after the injury versus the JEts, and Breaston and Doucet picked up the slack in a big way this year as well.

Boldin is a loss, but I think Doucet can be a younger version. Fitzgerald is still there, and Breaston is improving.

Warner is the huge loss, and will definitely have an impact, gan dabht. As I said though, if the Cardinals can be more balanced, and Leinhart is middle of the range as a QB, then the Cardinals will be 8-8 or 7-9 this year, which I suppose is mediocre, but will lay the foundations from there on.

mc_grens

Pack will not miss Kampman. He never made the switch to a 3-4 outside linebacker, was unhappy, and then got injured and was gone most of the season. Despite all this by the end of the season they were near the top in most defensive categorys and that young pass rusher they drafted last year whose name excapes me had a very good year.

They just need to add a wee bit more depth in the secondary. The injuries pilled up last year and showed against AZ in the playoffs. Outside of that, apart from the obvious (O-Line help) they need to continue to add 3-4 type D-line men.

new devil

[/quote

::)

Capt Pat

It looks like Ladanian Tomlinson might be headed to the Vikings. He has a visit scheduled for Thursday.

Clay Matthews was the GreenBay outside line backer you were thinking of???

mc_grens