American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Asal Mor on January 10, 2016, 03:57:17 PM
That Bengals team might go down in history as the dumbest ever. Burfict is a phenomenal talent but always looks out of control, and that hit on Brown was as moronic as it gets.

I'm surprised the Bengals tried to make a play on the one that Hill fumbled. Should they not have taken a knee x 3 and forced Pittsburgh to use their 3 timeouts, then chip over the field-goal to give themselves a 4 point lead, leaving the Steelers with just over a minute and no time-outs to go the length of the field for a TD?

Brilliant play by Shazier and obviously Hill should have had two hands on the ball, but seemed an unnecessary risk to me.

Running the ball was the right call.

Asal Mor

foxcommander

Quote from: Syferus on January 10, 2016, 05:07:31 PM
Quote from: Asal Mor on January 10, 2016, 03:57:17 PM
That Bengals team might go down in history as the dumbest ever. Burfict is a phenomenal talent but always looks out of control, and that hit on Brown was as moronic as it gets.

I'm surprised the Bengals tried to make a play on the one that Hill fumbled. Should they not have taken a knee x 3 and forced Pittsburgh to use their 3 timeouts, then chip over the field-goal to give themselves a 4 point lead, leaving the Steelers with just over a minute and no time-outs to go the length of the field for a TD?

Brilliant play by Shazier and obviously Hill should have had two hands on the ball, but seemed an unnecessary risk to me.

No it wan't, only yourself and Marvin Lewis think it was.
Asal is spot on. The bengals should have realised Ben was crocked and Jones wasn't up to the task so running out time and a 4 point lead would be all they would need. Steelers weren't going to march down the field, let alone a touchdown without help.

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Gabriel_Hurl

Minus 23C for the game in Minny right now - without the wind chill  :o

Syferus

Quote from: Asal Mor on January 10, 2016, 05:35:14 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 10, 2016, 05:07:31 PM

Evidently.

Terrible execution doesn't change the fact it was the right play.

Running in that situation is one of the least risky plays possible - you're putting the rock directly in the hands of someone well used to doing exactly that play 20-30 times a game. The percentage chance of a recovered fumble in that situation is very low.

One first down and it was game over, indeed I know few coaches would wouldn't have done any differently or have done any differently when presented with a similar situation. The default play is run it for the first three plays in that position, hopefully gaining a first down and if not gaining a few yards for the resultant punt or FG attempt. Just because Hill made a f**k up you can't call it a bad play-call. That's the height of 20:20 wisdom after the fact.

RealSpiritof98

Wilson not getting a sniff and then a misplaced snap and the game changes totally. Hoping for Viking win

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gallsman

Incredible. That was Billy Cundiff-esque.

Clov

"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

Wildweasel74

thats shocking from the Vikings kicker, missing from 25 yards, downright awful

gallsman

This shite about putting it on the holder because of the laces is ridiculous. Yes, it should have been better but that's no excuse from that distance. Fluffed it.

bridgegael

Kick heard around the world
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

bennydorano

Minder

Quote from: gallsman on January 10, 2016, 09:10:13 PM
This shite about putting it on the holder because of the laces is ridiculous. Yes, it should have been better but that's no excuse from that distance. Fluffed it.

Apparently kicking the laces affects distance, not direction. It was just a good old fashioned choke.

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Norf Tyrone

Was following the game at work here and annoyingly had to do something with 1.30 left to go.

I had to refresh my phone 3 times before I realized it ended 10-9. Was expecting to come out to, maybe not a Viking win, but not that. Not a missed FG.

F**kin hell.  :(
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone