American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

The NFL were blessed with the weather for that game. NYC's been getting pounded with snow and subzero (C) temps over the last month, but it warmed up into the 40s F for the weekend. Now this morning, 8 or 9 hours after the end of the game, a snowstorm has hit the city, with at least six inches of snow well on the way and flights cancelled left right and center! They got lucky!

J70

AZOffaly

On a different note, the thought has occurred to me a couple of times this year that maybe a Rugby style restart might be higher odds on recovering an onside kick than the standard 'low kick and second hop into the air'..

I know Rugby guys drop kick the ball, which makes it easier to get under the ball, but surely with a bit of practice you could develop a sort of 'scoop' kick off the tee which would go high in the air, but only 10 yards or so. Then you send your Paul O'Connell's to try and tap the ball back on your side.

Has to be a higher percentage play than that daft onside kick.

J70

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 03, 2014, 09:56:47 AM
Was a strange game, but I wasn't surprised when Mannings first interception was an overthrow to a deep lying safety. He has done that a few times in the post season. It's a pity, I like him and I love his attitude, but he certainly gets rattled when the intensity picks up against a good defence, which is what you tend to meet every so often in the playoffs. Having said that, I think slating Manning really takes away from the Seahawks defence. They were brilliant. The pass rush pressured him and the Seahawks have a great advantage over most secondaries in that they probably prefer going man coverage. Their DBs just seem to love the physical contest and battling for the ball. Every yard gained, especially when the game was in question, was really hard gained. Most defenses don't like to expose their DBs in 1v1 matchups. They try and play zone coverage, tampa 2 or 3 deep or whatever, and Manning (and other good QBs) are great at exploiting holes in zones, especially if you have receivers like Welker and Decker that like to find the soft spots. but Man v Man is a different story. You have to win your battles there, and while the odds favour the QB and WR in that contest because they know the play and the route, Seattles D just love that challenge and dominated when it mattered.

Shows how much people underestimate Russell Wilson as well, given the division he plays in and the defenses and pass rushes he has to face almost every week. Peyton turned down Seattle and San Francisco. Might have been some serious calculation went into that decision!

AZOffaly

He also turned down Arizona. I think you're right. He didn't fell like hobbling for his life in the face of the pass rush from Seattle, San Francisco, Arizona or Saint Louis. The best pass rusher in that entire division is probably your man Quinn from Saint Louis.

Minder

Be interesting to see how Seattle do next year alright. I thought i read Earl Thomas is a free agent next season, obviously he would be a big priority to resign, they do seem to have a lot of players on relatively low salaries. MVP last night Malcolm Smith was a 7th round pick, Sherman was a 5th round pick. When players get the exposure of winning a Super Bowl there will always be some that want to either try and get a bigger contract or test free agency, hold out etc. You also find that when players win a Super Bowl they think they have "made it", and don't push as hard the next season for various reasons.

Russell Wilson will also be due a mega contract you would think when his rookie deal ends, that gives you less room/$$$$ across the roster to address other positions. As AZ said the NFL has lots of last to first stories and its what makes the NFL so interesting, in my opinion, beats the shit out of the English Premier League in that regard anyway.

Long off season  :-[
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Zulu

Really disappointed the Broncos didn't win it as I'm a huge Manning fan but I was even more disappointed it was such a poor spectacle, it was practically over after the very first play. I had a feeling Seattle would win and I just thought the first play set the tone for the rest of the game. Still you couldn't begrudge Seattle their win and I always like to see teams who have a loyal and passionate fan base do well and that certainly seems to be the case with Seattle.

Hope Manning can redeem himself and win one more though, not only is he a great QB but he seems like a genuinely classy guy.

AZOffaly

Golden Tate is probably the biggest Free Agent name they have. I don't think Thomas is a free agent. Not unrestricted anyway.

Minder

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 03, 2014, 04:38:32 PM
Golden Tate is probably the biggest Free Agent name they have. I don't think Thomas is a free agent. Not unrestricted anyway.

Yeah just checked, he isn't a free agent until 2015 season, but they are going to try and get him signed to an extension in the off season.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

The Iceman

I think a lot of the young Seattle team are coming to the end of their rookie contracts and Seattle have a lot of work to do to keep them on and afford them.
The Seattle defense won that game - they were spectacular. Like a pack of wolves relentlessly hunting everything down. Wilson had a good game and I feel had the rub of the green on a lot of occasions.  I don't know what was going on in the game from the first snap it seemed like Denver had their hearts taken out of it. Seattle beat them mentally on defense - Peyton looked like Eli in there...
I am delighted for the team and the fans. They worked and fought hard all year. For the neutral fan it wasn't nice to watch but for a Seattle fan that was a beautiful Superbowl. The top 2 teams in the country made it there and one of them showed up.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

AZOffaly

Quote from: The Iceman on February 03, 2014, 04:58:25 PM
I think a lot of the young Seattle team are coming to the end of their rookie contracts and Seattle have a lot of work to do to keep them on and afford them.
The Seattle defense won that game - they were spectacular. Like a pack of wolves relentlessly hunting everything down. Wilson had a good game and I feel had the rub of the green on a lot of occasions.  I don't know what was going on in the game from the first snap it seemed like Denver had their hearts taken out of it. Seattle beat them mentally on defense - Peyton looked like Eli in there...
I am delighted for the team and the fans. They worked and fought hard all year. For the neutral fan it wasn't nice to watch but for a Seattle fan that was a beautiful Superbowl. The top 2 teams in the country made it there and one of them showed up.

that's the thing Iceman. They're not really. Obviously some of them will want to get restructured sharpish, not least Wilson who earns less in a year than Manning does in a week. But in terms of 'having' to get it done, they only have a few UFA this year, and only 1 RFA I think.

Puckoon

Quote from: The Iceman on February 03, 2014, 04:58:25 PM

Any argument that the top two teams in the country played 2 weeks ago in Seattle?

AZOffaly

I don't think so. And I think if that game was in San Francisco, you may well have had a different outcome. Add in the Cardinals at 10-6 and even the Rams who are no patsies, and that's a hell of a division at the moment.

Capt Pat

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 03, 2014, 01:41:05 PM
That's a big call on the Seahawks. The Ravens defense was old, and they lost players through FA and retirements. Anquin Boldin leaving, and Denis Pitta getting injured screwed their passing game, and Joe Flacco isn't as much a play maker as Wilson.

this Seahawks team has an average age of about 26 I think. I'm not sure of their cap situation and FA, but I doubt they are as bad a situation as the Ravens were, and Wilson is younger and better than Flacco.

The NFC West is a tough division, and I hope you are right, but I don't think the Seahawks are going anywhere. I certainly expect them to remain very hard to beat in Seattle for a while anyway.

The Seahawks have 18 players to resign. Of course there are others like Sherman who are going to want to get paid straight away. This could be a problem for the Seahawks.

AZOffaly

18 to resign, but how many are starters? Every team loses people through FA but it's the type of player that is important. I don't think any of the FA they have, Tate apart, would be classed as big names?