Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 29, 2021, 10:12:21 PM
Late drama and you could say a trademark Champions league like win for United.

To be honest I expected a draw at best with such a patched up defence and record against Villarreal but Ronaldo as Gerry Armstrong said on the commentary is always capable of popping up with the winner. All subs introduced Cavani, Lingard and Fred was involved in that winner.

The win shouldn't cloud over what was a truly dreadful 1st half performance by United and only for Degea and a wasteful Villarreal they would have led about 3-0 at half time.

Agree with that. First 50 mins was shambolic. When Villareal scored, I found it very hard to see Utd coming back. But they did and a very, very welcome 3 points and it might be a bit of a confidence booster also.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 30, 2021, 09:09:34 AM

To be honest I expected a draw at best with such a patched up defence and record against Villarreal but Ronaldo as Gerry Armstrong said on the commentary is always capable of popping up with the winner. All subs introduced Cavani, Lingard and Fred was involved in that winner.

The win shouldn't cloud over what was a truly dreadful 1st half performance by United and only for Degea and a wasteful Villarreal they would have led about 3-0 at half time.

Agree with that. First 50 mins was shambolic. When Villareal scored, I found it very hard to see Utd coming back. But they did and a very, very welcome 3 points and it might be a bit of a confidence booster also.

With the squad they have (baring the obvious DM) they shouldn't need a confidence booster, they need to find the right team selection with the right style of play to facilitate the players they have. Who's job is that?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 30, 2021, 09:12:47 AM

With the squad they have (baring the obvious DM) they shouldn't need a confidence booster, they need to find the right team selection with the right style of play to facilitate the players they have. Who's job is that?

Olé's of course and the coaching staff.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 30, 2021, 09:19:49 AM

Do you feel that he's had a winning formation or a consistent style of play since starting?

There has been moments of magic that have won games, and purely because they are better players that has worked, but when they come up against a better TEAM playing outfit they have been found out and struggle to score or go behind, they have went behind in so many games, and to be fair to them have also won probably the most games from going behind, its just not fluent enough for me
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Farrandeelin

To be honest, I haven't seen enough of them over the last 5 years to warrant an opinion on them. I don't have sky sports, but from what I read about them since OGS took over they do seem to have relied on individual moments to see games through and win.

nrico2006

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 30, 2021, 09:23:48 AM

Do you feel that he's had a winning formation or a consistent style of play since starting?

There has been moments of magic that have won games, and purely because they are better players that has worked, but when they come up against a better TEAM playing outfit they have been found out and struggle to score or go behind, they have went behind in so many games, and to be fair to them have also won probably the most games from going behind, its just not fluent enough for me

I posted something similar the other day on the fact that there was no obvious style to United's play which is something you would expect from a manager in the job for 3 years. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 30, 2021, 09:31:40 AM
To be honest, I haven't seen enough of them over the last 5 years to warrant an opinion on them. I don't have sky sports, but from what I read about them since OGS took over they do seem to have relied on individual moments to see games through and win.

That's essentially it, along with an over dependence on penalties. There is a talented bunch there but there is no direction from what I can see. No structured game plan as such. Play on the break and hope to score.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 30, 2021, 11:01:48 AM

That's essentially it, along with an over dependence on penalties. There is a talented bunch there but there is no direction from what I can see. No structured game plan as such. Play on the break and hope to score.

Leicester had the most last season, lazy reporting  :D.. but i get your other points lol

Maroon Manc

Only caught the last 10 mins to go with only second half of Villa game. United have been very poor this season and are relying on the enormous amount of talent they have in their squad to get them out of trouble. United left Cavani, Lingard & Martial on the bench and still have Rashford out injured, not sure anyone in Europe has the strength in depth United have in the final 3rd.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't have any great faith in Ole to turn it around and for United to start playing cohesively week in week out and begin to look like a proper team as that would be blind faith but I'm desperately hoping he can turn it around. I just don't think the balance of Fernandes, Pogba and one of McTominay/Fred will ever be right but against top opposition I do think a midfield 3 of Fernandes, McTominay & Fred can be very effective and get big results which we've seen previously.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 30, 2021, 09:23:48 AM

That's the case against any team that are well drilled/organised or play the low block.

Last night especially first half defensively was the biggest issue as basically  it was a defence that played together for the first time. That Villarreal side in May managed one shot on target in 120 minutes against United. Degea went from not making a save to man of the match last night.

magpie seanie

I actually think it's overly structured and defenses know what's coming. Occasionally something unpredictable happens or is done by a player using his initiative and that's what creates the chances.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 30, 2021, 04:05:15 PM

I actually think it's overly structured and defenses know what's coming. Occasionally something unpredictable happens or is done by a player using his initiative and that's what creates the chances.

I think your right there. It takes something off the cuff from Bruno or Pogba to open teams up. Rashford is a big miss at the minute I think and one of the reasons they aren't breaking teams down as much as they were. When he was fit, he stretches defences more than say Ronaldo or Martial do. Greenwood was the only one getting on to those balls in the Villa game. If you have Sancho or Greenwood with Rashford and one of Ronaldo/Greenwood/Cavani it would cause teams more problems. Ole needs to find a way to play Bruno and Pogba in midfield together, Pogba on the wing reduces the movement up front too. Personally I'd play Matic and replace him after 60 minutes with McT or Fred.

Cunny Funt

Two points dropped. Everton go back home with their 28% possession and 2 shots on target with a point.

Stupid goal from Uniteds own corner to concede and Fred especially should have stopped that the counter attack. Daft to think such inconsistent United side could have went top for a few hours with a win this afternoon.

SHEEDY

Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 02, 2021, 02:37:23 PM
Two points dropped. Everton go back home with their 28% possession and 2 shots on target with a point.

Stupid goal from Uniteds own corner to concede and Fred especially should have stopped that the counter attack. Daft to think such inconsistent United side could have went top for a few hours with a win this afternoon.
Everton had 10 shots inside Utd's box, Utd had 9 shots inside Evertons box, in all honesty Everton had the better chances and could've won it at the end only for a tight offside decision and that's with Richarlison and Calvert lewin out injured. Thought man utd were really poor, possession stats mean nothing if you don't create.
nil satis nisi optimum

Saffrongael

Cunny Funt obsessed with his possession stats for years now, I think he reckons that's how games should be decided
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come